Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

something changed after the service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
postnote

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
something changed after the service

Hi All,

I am new to this forum so thought I would try a question. My Disco 4 has just had it's service, one thing that suprised me was befor taking on the car drove as if on rails, when I collected post service I was told it need tracking as it was pulling to the left.
I never tols the dealership that there was a steering problem as there was not one. but now pulls sharpley to the left, so need another trip for them to check the tracking.

Yes somewhat confused as there was no plulling to left or right but there is now!!! any thoughts or have you experinced this?

postnote

Post #235345018th Nov 2023 4:08 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Hello and welcome,

What year D4 and mileage are you on?

Have you checked the tyre pressures? (Starting low down on the basics here....).

Are you using a Dealer or Independent?

And finally, when was your last 4wd full alignment?

These will certainly help me give you what help I can/opinion.
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #235345118th Nov 2023 4:15 pm
postnote

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

It's a disc 4 lanmark 2016
Millage is 60,000

Tyre pressures same as when it went in

Dealership.

When I changed out from my Disco Sport, disco 4 pulled to right, but they aligned the tracking and for 7 months no problems till it went in for a service.

Post #235345218th Nov 2023 4:21 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Did they rotate the tyres? A part worn tyre that was on the rear could cause steering pull when fitted to the front.

Check the tyres across their surface for even wear, and as said the pressures too.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #235345518th Nov 2023 6:33 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: something changed after the service

postnote wrote:
Hi All,
My Disco 4 has just had it's service,

Hi and welcome,

have you spoke to the dealer Question

if you are sure it was fine going in and as soon as it comes out its not, my first port of call would be back to the dealer to ask them what they have done (possibly) to cause it, as suggested they could have rotated the wheels (good practice) which has highlighted a tyre issue, which is why they say alignment needed Question

most garages would rather you ask them first if you think there is a problem (in a polite manner Smile )

Thumbs Up

if you fill in your profile details it also makes it easier for peeps to help.

Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #235345918th Nov 2023 8:29 pm
postnote

no change

Nope they didn't rotate the wheels, as I mentioned strangley the service sheet said car pulling to left. I did at the time ask why as I had no streeing problems. I did not go back as our dearership won't look as cars unless previously booked in and that is now a 1 month waiting time.

Post #235351819th Nov 2023 5:44 pm
kevofcov

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

riverblanche wrote:
postnote wrote:
Hi All,
My Disco 4 has just had it's service,

Hi and welcome,

have you spoke to the dealer Question

if you are sure it was fine going in and as soon as it comes out its not, my first port of call would be back to the dealer to ask them what they have done (possibly) to cause it, as suggested they could have rotated the wheels (good practice) which has highlighted a tyre issue, which is why they say alignment needed Question

most garages would rather you ask them first if you think there is a problem (in a polite manner Smile )

Thumbs Up

if you fill in your profile details it also makes it easier for peeps to help.

I agree with Riverblanch. It is the dealers problem not yours. The following will sound like a rant and very cynical but it is based on my many experiences.
It wasn’t in for pulling to the left but it is now. Sorry but (any make) dealerships do not respond to polite. They will not even perform to threats that risk eating into their margins. If you are polite and patient they will be laughing up their sleeves at you.

You need to (in writing, keep copies) firmly but politely explain to them the problem (you will be fobbed off). Now is the only timescale acceptable to you (you will be fobbed off). Tell them that your really disappointed (you will be fobbed off). So far you will achieve nothing and have completely wasted your time but it is a dance you have to do.
Now explain to them that this is rubbish service and that you will get for report somewhere else and send them the bill. This will be met with a blank look - and a slight shrug of the shoulders if you’re lucky. Confirm in writing keep copies.

Don’t bother with LR customer services as they are a waste of time, really.
Go to somewhere else, get them to put it right and detail on the invoice what they have done. Send the dealer the invoice giving them 14 days to pay. They will not pay so use Money Claim Online. One of two things will then happen. They will still ignore you and the court will say that they have to pay you or just before the court date a cheque will appear.

There is lots of consumer advice online. Landrover customer services are based in the small claim court. Welcome to the word of main dealer servicing....

Post #235353319th Nov 2023 9:21 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

sorry Kev but i have to disagree with you on that, If i ever have to go back to a dealer then I always start off polite and courteous without finger pointing, and only escalate both my manner and my insistence if things dont progress.
This attitude has only failed me once and that was with.... surprise surprise... a LR main dealer in Chesterfield.

If you go straight in guns blazing with official letters from the start then the first thing they will do is put the barriers up and treat you with contempt, and that doesnt just happen in the motor industry.

It will be very hard/impossible to prove the OP's car wasnt pulling prior to the service, especially as there is no evidence of them touching anything to do with steering geometry or tyres. Certainly go back to them and ask them if they are aware of anything but otherwise just take it to a decent 4 wheel alignment centre and get the tracking done then take it from there
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #235354620th Nov 2023 8:52 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Take it to your nearest “Hunter” alignment centre(do a internet search for your nearest) for a check, they will tell you if anything is wrong with the steering or suspension, if no or easy only adjustments are made it will cost about £75, if you then want to take it further you have professional backing. Thumbs Up
If you allow LR to do it that’s what they will do and then charge you treble.

What puzzles me is how do they know it pulls to the left unless they took it for a test drive? - which is most unlikely after a service.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Last edited by M3DPO on 22nd Nov 2023 3:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #235354820th Nov 2023 9:21 am
kim0785b

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Have something similar happened to mine and took it in for an alignment, turned out that during the wheel replacement when servicing the balance weights on the wheel had not been fixed properly and fallen off, ended up getting severe wobble at certain speeds with the car wanting to turn to the left.

I'd check the wheels, alignment and balancing weights stuck onto the wheels.
 Discovery 4
Oct 2015, 2016 build
SDV6 Santorini Black SE
New engine at 42k
Car camper 

Post #235367021st Nov 2023 4:45 pm
kevofcov

RogB wrote:
sorry Kev but i have to disagree with you on that, If i ever have to go back to a dealer then I always start off polite and courteous without finger pointing, and only escalate both my manner and my insistence if things dont progress.
This attitude has only failed me once and that was with.... surprise surprise... a LR main dealer in Chesterfield.

If you go straight in guns blazing with official letters from the start then the first thing they will do is put the barriers up and treat you with contempt, and that doesnt just happen in the motor industry.

It will be very hard/impossible to prove the OP's car wasnt pulling prior to the service, especially as there is no evidence of them touching anything to do with steering geometry or tyres. Certainly go back to them and ask them if they are aware of anything but otherwise just take it to a decent 4 wheel alignment centre and get the tracking done then take it from there

You are right. I have had years of doing it the right way. Being patient, being polite but in the end you are just a number and customer service is just a dance. I had a mate who had the main dealers service manager’s mobile number and the service response times were fantastic – but then he was spending seven figures of his firms money there. As an individual ‘only’ spending £70,000 you are just in the way really. Be polite at all times but escalate as quick as is reasonable. It’s the only thing that they understand.

Post #235378122nd Nov 2023 7:36 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

^^ Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #235382623rd Nov 2023 9:23 am
kevofcov

postnote wrote:
Hi All,

I am new to this forum so thought I would try a question. My Disco 4 has just had it's service, one thing that suprised me was befor taking on the car drove as if on rails, when I collected post service I was told it need tracking as it was pulling to the left.
I never tols the dealership that there was a steering problem as there was not one. but now pulls sharpley to the left, so need another trip for them to check the tracking.

Yes somewhat confused as there was no plulling to left or right but there is now!!! any thoughts or have you experinced this?

postnote

Let us know how you get on Thumbs Up

Post #235389823rd Nov 2023 7:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >