Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Software Upgrade and related question...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
scolliss

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
Software Upgrade and related question...

Sorry guys, have searched the site to no avail. If I had found this site four days earlier than I did I would have been happier. As it happened my software upgrade was applied and I lost the pre heat / cool thing days before finding out about it from this site.

I also notice that now I am unable to input navigation changes on the move where-as I could before. I now have to stop the car which is a huge inconvenience as most of my driving is motorway routes where finding an exit and somewhere to park adds a lot of minutes to the journey...blah blah blah.

Anyway the question is; can I change this somehow through the secret button access of the satnav screen to re-enable it? Big Cry

Post #1360926th Mar 2007 9:33 am
lr1

United Kingdom 

I think you will find that this change is a safety feature to prevent drivers concentrating on changing navigation settings whilst driving. A good move Land Rover.

Taking a few minutes to pull in to make changes takes up a lot less time than having to go to hospital as a result of a traffic accident, never mind the other innocent people you may injure or kill as a result of a loss of concentration.

Should you really be in charge of a 2.7 tonne vehicle with this attitude?

Post #1361246th Mar 2007 11:07 am
tintenter

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

don't know about motorways in switzerland but in the uk (and Belfast) i think it is illegal to pull over on the hard shoulder unless you have problem with the car, not just wanting to input a destination on the sat nav
 Tintenter
Corris Grey Discovery 4 HSE

Bigger permagrin now installed

Semper in excretum, sole profundum moveat. 

Post #1361276th Mar 2007 11:21 am
scolliss

LR1 - I accept your point but who said anything about me changing it. I have just spent the past 4 days driving round Europe and my passengers nearly put a brick through the thing because they could not change it.

It is a real pain when in an unknown area you want to know PIO's etc. Next time you are driving around a town try and find somewhere easy, safe and legal to pull over (cant program the nav system to do this remember), other than a petrol station forecourt - and then you have to turn your engine off!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Fortunately, I had my Tom Tom in the car as well which beat the pants off the built in system.

Question still stands, if anyone knows a work around let me know please.

...and yes Swiss motorway rules are the same but worse, often there is no hard shoulder.

Last edited by scolliss on 6th Mar 2007 11:26 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #1361286th Mar 2007 11:24 am
lr1

United Kingdom 

I am not suggesting pulling onto the hard sholder, but as in the original post to come off the motorway at a suitable exit. Yes, this adds some time to a journey but safety comes first which sadly seems not to be the case in modern driving where drivers think they are supermen/women being able to change navigation settings and even use handheld mobile phones while on the move. Stupidity!

Last edited by lr1 on 6th Mar 2007 11:26 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #1361296th Mar 2007 11:25 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Upgrade to the MY07 Disco.........
Don't think the software is able to be retro-actively applied even with the latest DVD.
Maybe TFC or Slimer/Simon knows (They seem to know most things......) Some of it even relevant! Whistle Whistle Whistle ?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #1361316th Mar 2007 11:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have to admit that I would like it to be a bit clever, such that when the passenger seat is occupied you can adjust it and when it isn't you can't. The sensors for such thing do control functions within other cars I have owned
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #1361326th Mar 2007 11:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
scolliss

Hey guys, thanks for the input, and dont think from my last response I am grumpy, I am actually happy to be getting input from you all.

The last post raised another question I have been trying to find an answer for even though I suspect I know the answer. Is the Nav system i.e. Standard or Premium dependant on software and electrical inputs OR the DVD version?

Thanks again.

Post #1361336th Mar 2007 11:31 am
lr1

United Kingdom 

scolliss,

In reply, fair enough if only your passengers use it, however I still think that this is an essential safety feature as some drivers are tempted to change settings on the move, just as they use hand held mobile phones on the move (I see them on a daily basis even HGV drivers, madness.)

Last edited by lr1 on 6th Mar 2007 11:37 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #1361346th Mar 2007 11:32 am
scolliss

SPOTTER wrote:
I have to admit that I would like it to be a bit clever, such that when the passenger seat is occupied you can adjust it and when it isn't you can't.

What a good idea. In mine the passenger seat already has a sensor for the seat belt warning so the two could easily be combined.

Post #1361356th Mar 2007 11:34 am
lr1

United Kingdom 

Good idea, NO

With regard to being able to adjust navigation settings if the passenger seat is occupied, placing an object on the seat overrides this thereby getting around this safety feature. I say again Land Rover have it right disabling this feature.

Post #1361366th Mar 2007 11:38 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Take the train it much safer!
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #1361386th Mar 2007 11:44 am
lr1

United Kingdom 

Actually, flying is much safer!

Post #1361396th Mar 2007 11:46 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

So LR enabling it on the 07MY and via a software update on previous years makes LR wrong?
 The End  
Post #1361406th Mar 2007 11:46 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

surely the fact you can deliberately get round something something is not LR's problem....otherwise where would we be with passenger airbag deactivation etc...also a safety issue?
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #1361506th Mar 2007 12:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >