Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Snow Chains
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Non Stick Nick

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Snow Chains

Any one got any experience of fitting snow chains to their D3.
The book says not to fit them to the back, any ideas why not?
I am running 245x70x17 coopers ST's and we are going to the Crosiere in January where chains are compulsory.
Regards
Nick Jennings
 I am a hob nobber.  
Post #9712427th Oct 2006 3:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I bought some and did a trial fitment at home - needless to say you wont want to use them unless required to do so by law. I suspect the reason for front fitment only is to do with clearence issues - from memory the fronts are very close to the track rod end.
To be perfectly honest if you need them you must be in the s$*t. What I mean is the car is fantastic at climbing Alpine roads covered in snow. While other smaller, lighter more agile cars slipped and slid around the D3 just ploughed on gracefully. One of the better moments was watching other people taking a run up at an incline, gripping the steering wheel in a vain attempt to gain traction only to get stuck, whilst the disco just weaved its way through the obstacle course of stranded cars.
God I can't wait to go this year.
By the way where is 'Crosiere'?
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #9716227th Oct 2006 4:38 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Nick,
There are quite a few threads on chains - the search option turns up plenty of info.
Clearance is tight - see here.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #9719327th Oct 2006 5:17 pm
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

during winter I ALWAYS carry snow chains, even in the d3.

This after an adventure in my peugeot.
My girfriend advised me to take a shortcut over a forest road. As a good boy, I obliged. It used to be good, even for normal cars.

BUT: that day the road was completely covered with Ice. It looked like old snow but was a complete layer of ice. Heading for the road upwards the small hill was no problem, only the wheels started to loose grip halfway the slope.

I wanted to stop to put the chains on but even with the brake on, the car slowly slided further downwards. I was quick enough to jump out of the moving car and trow a rock behind the wheel. This one bit into the ice and managed to change the car from sliding to "moving down in small bits" but allowed me to add some more and bigger rocks and stop the car.

After putting on the chains I drove away like on asfalt.

Without the chains, I would have slided uncontrollable down the hill with the risk of getting out of direction and rolling over.

The guy where i have my tires changed said he has a customer who ruined his brand new audi all road in exactly the same situation.

So beware!

Post #9720327th Oct 2006 6:04 pm
Non Stick Nick

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
snow chains

Thanks fro all the info,
Andy the Crosiere Blanc ( not sure of the spelling) is aan anual event held in the alps in deep snow. A sort of Green Lane extravigansa , except in white.

DrLex thanks for the link.
I will be going to www.snowchains.com of Tunbridge Wells to have a trial fit.
Regards
Non stick
 I am a hob nobber.  
Post #9727328th Oct 2006 10:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DrLex

Iceland 

Nick,
Any joy?
I recall one of the American site members tipped GoClaws, but there appears to be no UK agent as yet.
(I tried a search but only a passing reference on this site)
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #9745129th Oct 2006 6:51 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Sure I've seen something similar to GoClaws in one of the LR magazines. Typically I can't find it now. Rolling Eyes
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #9745429th Oct 2006 7:09 pm
Airboss

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

GoClaws can be shipped internationally via their web site at www.flextrax.com

Post #9751929th Oct 2006 11:12 pm
LHD

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I just had some Yokohama 265/60 R18 winter tyres fitted to my beast. I asked the guy fitting them "so do I need chains?" - his answer "if you can no longer go [with these tyres fitted] then nothings going".

That's enough for me to not bother.

The D3 should be able to drive on anything. The story of the Allroad getting a trashing was probably down to the driver not doing everything slowly and smoothly.

I've driven in absolutely everything and never had to put chains on - even going up to the Gotthard tunnel in 10" of snow (in my snow-shod Saab 9-5) - past many foreign cars who were thinking that March would be no problem for them having no winter tyres on (mostly northern Europeans).
 Discovery 3 Manual as PDF | Blackvue 500 | BAS Remap | Mates did South America in a Landie

Post #9758230th Oct 2006 12:35 pm
captain_sugar

LHD wrote:
I
The D3 should be able to drive on anything. The story of the Allroad getting a trashing was probably down to the driver not doing everything slowly and smoothly.

I've driven in absolutely everything and never had to put chains on - even going up to the Gotthard tunnel in 10" of snow (in my snow-shod Saab 9-5) - past many foreign cars who were thinking that March would be no problem for them having no winter tyres on (mostly northern Europeans).

Wait until your car is facing 90° to a steep slope, under your 4x4 wheels is only ice, and your car is sliding backwards.

It is an exceptional situation you won't meet often and certainly not in a tunnel. But it happened to me and the adi all-road (not 100% sure the story is true but the source is reliable) . I was quicker than the panic and afterwards I was so delighted to have no damage because of quic reaction, the luck of findig a decent stone not frozen to the ground and the chains.

Of course if you don't have a girlfriend that leads you through, sunshine hidden, frozen steep forest roads (with a peugeot), nothing can happen to you!

Post #9758930th Oct 2006 12:46 pm
captain_sugar

this is what I carry in my car:
http://www.pewag.at/kataloge/Snow_chain_fo...k_SUV.html

They are a bit easier to fit than basic chains, on durability for intensive use I have my doubts however.

Never used outside of my garage although. LHD is right. D3 with winter tires should get you through a lot.

The fist chains that were delivered according the wheel and tyre sizes were too small! For some reason they did not fit. Not sure if the dealer made a mistake. So carefull when ordering

Post #9761530th Oct 2006 3:41 pm
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Snow Chains

Non Stick Nick wrote:
Any one got any experience of fitting snow chains to their D3.

hi nick,
i am also doing that event, i have don a bit of work on the snow chain thing and the main problem is the clearance, i have solved this by fitting 30mm wheel spacers on the front and back. this seems to give ample clearance for the chains. regarding chains, the pewag ones seem to be the better option. See you there.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #9766430th Oct 2006 8:17 pm
Airboss

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

LHD wrote:
I just had some Yokohama 265/60 R18 winter tyres fitted to my beast. I asked the guy fitting them "so do I need chains?" - his answer "if you can no longer go [with these tyres fitted] then nothings going".

That's enough for me to not bother.

Here in the States we are required to carry chains on certain mountain passes. The law applies to everyone no matter what you drive.

I agree that if the D3 can't handle the terrain you probably shouldn't be there, but as often as I travel these passes I prefer to carry the chains to keep the police happy.

Last edited by Airboss on 1st Nov 2006 12:52 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #9767330th Oct 2006 9:22 pm
Richard(Jim)B

Sweden 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I have these on my D3 -no problems with grip on ice there!
Click image to enlarge

Drove through the entire seasons old snow (i.e. compact and crusty) with it part pushing ahead and part scraping the belly of the car and no problems with getting stuck.

Post #9786931st Oct 2006 7:47 pm
captain_sugar

Richard(Jim)B wrote:
I have these on my D3 -no problems with grip on ice there!
Click image to enlarge

Drove through the entire seasons old snow (i.e. compact and crusty) with it part pushing ahead and part scraping the belly of the car and no problems with getting stuck.

spikes are forbidden in many countries...

Post #9792631st Oct 2006 11:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >