Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Roading & Green Laning

snatch recovery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Snatch straps are used here more than ropes, as they are more elastic, and more predictably elastic. The hazards and dangers can't be overstated. Here in our sandy state of Western Australia we had a case a few months ago where someone hooked a snatch strap on a trailer hitch ball. Alas, the ball snapped and instantly killed a woman in the stuck vehicle. I'd suggest practicing snatching a few times in a more controlled environment to get used to it before needing to do it for real. It's surprising how short a run-up (like 1-2 meters of slack) can put a huge load on the stuck vehicle and all components being used in the snatch recovery.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #9508475th Jul 2012 11:07 am
Andrew van den Heever

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The D3/4 is fantastic at pulling out stuck vehicles.
Look, a Pajero and a Toyota! Laughing

Post #100316914th Nov 2012 8:29 am
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I agree with dingmsrk, go for a strap, ARB do them. Or a winch Very Happy

I'm not aware of tow points coming off D3's but if you are thinking of recovering vehicles you are not familiar with then I wouldn't risk it.

Damn effective and Damn dangerous

Luckily that was just the rope snapping - had a decent sized part of the recovery point failed he probably wouldn't have a head. Thumbs Up

Btw Marlow Ropes who invented the kerr won't sell you one unless you can prove its for use on an armoured vehicle

http://www.marlowropes.com/defence-product...kerrs.html

See where it says "never be used on soft shell 4x4 vehicles" Laughing guess their insurers weren't keen!
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #100343114th Nov 2012 7:50 pm
KevinTDV6SE

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

This is probably a stupid question but what is the difference between snatch and just towing someone out?

If some one is stuck in a hedge or ditch due to the crap winter conditions, is it safe for me to just put a rope over my detachable tow bar and just pull them out? I want to be able to help people but dont want to if it is actually dangerous.

Also what rope or strap is best?

Post #100863924th Nov 2012 8:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
KevinTDV6SE

Anyone? You guys are normally like lightening to reply...

Post #100872224th Nov 2012 10:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

As I understand it, snatch recovery uses a kinetic rope or strap and the tow vehicle drives forwards until slowed by the rope. Tow vehicle stops and the energy stored in the kinetic rope "snatches" the stuck vehicle free .... allegedly Wink Problems with this method are that on the very rare occaision that a component fails ( Tow ball snaps etc) The results can be literally lethal.
The best way to attach the rope is to use a shackle attached to a suitable recovery point. NEVER use the tow ball, detachable or otherwise!If the detachable tow bar does indeed detach under load - it will potentially kill anyone it hits. Have you ever dropped it on your foot???
Product used = Kinetic rope or strap.

Towing some one out is just that. Best product is either a dedicated strap or rope with suitable breaking strain. Personally, I'd not be keen on buying second hand safety gear of this nature. Best product = A new one !

Of the many manufacturers out there Bearmach and Marlowe ropes are just two examples.

Best advice I can offer though would be to contact a reputable off road training centre and get some professional instruction. Might cost a few quid but could avert some serious damage and or injury. You can never have too much education as they say Thumbs Up
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Last edited by steveraspberry on 24th Nov 2012 11:22 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #100874924th Nov 2012 11:17 pm
KevinTDV6SE

Wow thankyou for the advice

Post #100875124th Nov 2012 11:21 pm
KevinTDV6SE

Where on the rear and front of the d3 is the best point for attaching a tow strap? What breaking limited would I need for the strap and the two shackles?

Post #100875524th Nov 2012 11:24 pm
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

No worries

Standby for more advice from people far more knowledgeable than I on the matter Bow down Christmas is coming though, could be a new strap/rope makes it to your Christmas list Smile Apparently, Devon 4x4 are having a sale at the moment too. I'm not connected to them in any way at all, just got an email from a mate about it the other day. Let us know how you get on Smile Thumbs Up
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,

Post #100875624th Nov 2012 11:25 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

In many of the videos for snatch rescue there are several vehicles about so why not daisy chain. I saw this method used out in a dessert to recover fully ladden artic lorries which had got stuck in sand up to their chassis.
Vehicle stuck is hooked up to first tow vehicle with tow rope, second tow vehicle then attaches tow rope to first tow vehicle, third tow vehicle then attaches tow rope to second tow vehicle, all three then set of steadily forwards as if towing normally, each and every time they recovered the stuck artic with no problems or damage. On some occasions three/four tow vehicles were used.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #100875724th Nov 2012 11:26 pm
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

There is an "eye" in the middle of the sump guard at the front and another one behind the tow electrics cover on the rear. They are actually tie down points for strapping the vehicle down if it's on a boat, raft etc but far safer than the tow ball IMHO.

Breaking strain well, you can never have too much I suppose but 10t wouldn't be a bad place to start. The training centre would be able to advise you. Little hint: When fastening the shackle, do it all the way up then back it off half a turn or so. That way, when the strain is applied, the screw won't lock shut as it would if you left done all the way up. Thumbs Up
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,

Post #100876024th Nov 2012 11:31 pm
ruggedpeak

Russell wrote:
In many of the videos for snatch rescue there are several vehicles about so why not daisy chain. I saw this method used out in a dessert to recover fully ladden artic lorries which had got stuck in sand up to their chassis.
Vehicle stuck is hooked up to first tow vehicle with tow rope, second tow vehicle then attaches tow rope to first tow vehicle, third tow vehicle then attaches tow rope to second tow vehicle, all three then set of steadily forwards as if towing normally, each and every time they recovered the stuck artic with no problems or damage. On some occasions three/four tow vehicles were used.

+1 Thumbs Up
 Tony

Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #100892725th Nov 2012 2:11 pm
ruggedpeak

KevinTDV6SE wrote:
This is probably a stupid question but what is the difference between snatch and just towing someone out?

If some one is stuck in a hedge or ditch due to the crap winter conditions, is it safe for me to just put a rope over my detachable tow bar and just pull them out? I want to be able to help people but dont want to if it is actually dangerous.

Also what rope or strap is best?

As above use the tow point behind the tow electrics cover, not the towbar. You don't want to be pulling people out with a kinetic rope, just a normal tow strap or rope with a decent load rating. Just get a decent length so they don't run in the back of you when they regain traction. If it won't come out with that then leave it to the professionals. I wouldn't snatch/kinetic it - if their tow point isn't up to it either you or your car is going to take the impact. If it won't budge there is probably a good reason.

Two examples - drunk driver lost it and crashed into a road name sign on a residential street. They hit it so hard the sump was impaled on the remains of one of the uprights. No amount of pulling would remove it, even with a Shogun. It had to be lifted vertically to get it off. Btw the road nameplate had been hit so hard it flew off and took a chunk out of a house 20 yards away. Rolling Eyes

Another bloke lost a low slung saloon on a roundabout and ended up beached on a newly installed granite effect 18" kerb (and swore blind he was only doing 15-20mph 8) ). Recovery agent struggled to drag it off, took a few proper goes Shocked and in doing so ripped a huge lump of the kerb off and a significant part of the underside of the car. Laughing Big bill for the insurers just to repair the kerb (very big as main trunk road!) and write off the car. I did tell the driver to listen for the graunching noise as it came off, initially the first metre just slid, so he tld me it was fine and I was wrong. Then it caught on something between the middle of the car and the engine (gearbox?) and the recovery agent went for it. Whatever it was caught it on managed to rip a 3 foot square lump of fake granite out of the kerbing and drag the car over the top of it. Made a noise then......

Just suggesting if it won't budge better to leave it someone else Thumbs Up
 Tony

Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #100893725th Nov 2012 2:30 pm
KevinTDV6SE

Great advice thanks all

Post #100897625th Nov 2012 4:33 pm
KevinTDV6SE

Would this be suitable?

http://www.slingsandstraps.co.uk/off-road-...20shackles

Post #100900225th Nov 2012 5:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >