Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Slow Pulling Away When Cold
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mfm1706

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Slow Pulling Away When Cold

Can anybody offer any advice on the following symptoms on my 54 plate TDV6 automatic with 96k miles:

We've had some cold mornings lately and when starting and pulling away, I make very slow progress - it's almost like the fluid in the Torque Converter is too thin when cold and it only picks up gradually when it warms up over about 400 yards. The contradictory thing is that during this time, the revs seem limited and are kept below about 1500. In Neutral or Parked when cold, it will rev freely.

Once past this 400ish yards warm-up everything seems normal, gear changes are as smooth as ever and pulling away and accelerating is fine (I did a 400 mile trip at the weekend without problem (after the initial warm-up period)).

What I tend to do when starting from cold now is let it idle in drive on the hand-brake for a couple of minutes and then I can pull away fine.

Any thoughts?

Mark M

Post #4317602nd Mar 2009 10:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
russgs

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

mine doesn't pickup well when cold, despite being tuned etc..., needs a few revs to get it off the drive, but once moving works perfectly

i can only speculate it may be behaviour by design?

now having re-read the bit about 1500rpm, that sounds abnormal...leave it to the experts here
 2006 D3 HSE
2004 BMW R1200GS <-- it's a two-wheeled disco Smile
2008 Suzuki Splash (sick of my D3 being wasted on the school run) 

Post #4318452nd Mar 2009 11:46 pm
mfm1706

Yep, it certainly feels abnormal. A couple of times when I've forgotten, on a cold evening, I've pulled out of the car park at work and put my foot down only to have to bimble along slowly for a few hundred yards before it picks up.

Post #4321403rd Mar 2009 3:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The cooling fan will be engaged after a cold start, for about 30 seconds. It results in the famous Disco 3 Roar!

If your sluggishness is accompanied by a louding whooshing/roaring noise, and as the noise dies way, the power picks up, then its just the fan sapping some power.

They all do it, its normal.

Post #4321423rd Mar 2009 3:50 pm
mfm1706

That's exactly it!

There is a loud roar.

As the fan is driven from the fan belt, isn't it always engaged?

Would the fan really sap that much engine effort to keep my revs below 1500?

Post #4321533rd Mar 2009 4:06 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes it is belt driven, via an electronic clutch. The clutch is in failsafe engaged mode until things get going after a few seconds, then the clutch releases the fan. Its a big fan, and spins very fast when engaged - it has to be able to cool the engine in the harshest desert conditions remember! so yes it will sap a lot of power when going full pelt.

A simple check to make is WITH THE ENGINE SWITCHED OFF!! try and turn the fan, it should spin with little resistance. If you cannot turn it, then it may be seized.

Some members have reported the fan permanently engaging when the engine running at normal temperature, this can be caused by blocked radiator/intercooler or faulty temperature sensors on the engine and/or fuel system.

Post #4321583rd Mar 2009 4:14 pm
mfm1706

Gareth,

I think you may have solved it. That all sounds like what's happening.

The fact that my roar goes away shortly after pulling away ... just about the time drive picks up ... suggests that the fan probably isn't siezed.

Thanks for your help.

Post #4321673rd Mar 2009 4:32 pm
andychelt

United Kingdom 

I get that too some mornings, have even been known to stall (manual) when reversing out the drive as its bit sluggish, my tip? Give it some extra revs, take it easy and savour the ROAR!! Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #4329714th Mar 2009 10:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >