Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Slow to accelerate from stationary
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
leofwen

England 2006 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Slow to accelerate from stationary

Since this exceptionally cold weather has been with us, I have noticed that my Disco 3 Diesel will not draw away from stationary as normal. It moves off very slowly, and does not respond to the throttle in the normal way. For those of us old enough to remember, it feels exactly like a cold petrol engine with manual choke that has not been pulled out far enough. As the engine warms up the problem dissapears. It make driving out of junctions a bit tricky to say the least.
Any ideas?
 Ian L  
Post #7422186th Jan 2011 4:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mike23118

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Sounds like EGR's goosed search for EGR Read and enjoy Thumbs Up
Just got my blanks today so will fit tonight if I get a chance
 Now Renault Trafic
D4 gone
D3 gone 

Post #7422356th Jan 2011 4:49 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

leofwen, it is exactly that, winter mix diesel glazing in the injectors......or battery soon to go pete tonk... or even the alternator showing early signs of going south Big Cry

Quite a few threads on ere in recent weeks regards batteries and the symptoms, me personally had that problem when the cold weather first started, took it to stealer the very same day the throttle became very unresponsive, found no fault other than recording the battery taking a large hit when starting - new one fitted, all fine for another 3/4 weeks then alternator packed up (although not starting never was a problems since the battery was changed)

so to narrow down your issue, does yer FBH work, how old is yer battery and is it a OEM LR 950 amps?

Post #7423836th Jan 2011 9:14 pm
bornpompey

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

see my topic i posted up earlier mate "power loss"

BP
 www.jetskicentre.co.uk  
Post #7424646th Jan 2011 10:24 pm
leofwen

Thanks for the answers guys, but if an EGR valve is stuck, why do I only have the problem when the engine is cold, and all is OK once it is warm.

Can anyone direct me to where I can get an explanation of the function of the EGR valves
 Ian L  
Post #7427607th Jan 2011 1:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bornpompey

this was agood read:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic59157.h...R+%2Bvalve

plus see whats written in the tech section on my topic yesterday, looads of peeps wioth same thing

BP
 www.jetskicentre.co.uk  
Post #7427677th Jan 2011 1:16 pm
leofwen

Thanks BP that article is great and does clear up a lot for me. Just to take on a small point mentioned in the article about whether a fault comes from the valves being stuck open or closed, surely the problems must be caused by the valves sticking open at the wromg time, or otherwise blanking them off would never cure a problem.
I am now off to check the function of mine. Do yo know what effect fitting plugs has on performance and economy and emissions?
 Ian L  
Post #7437559th Jan 2011 11:48 am
bornpompey

there seems to be conflicting stories about performance and economy after fitting the blanking kit, so I guess it will be a suck it and see. As per my topic, my nearest independant would not entertain talking to me about fitting the blank kit! Sad so i have founf another, TERRAIN VEHICLES just down the road from me who are going to do a diagnosis check on mine MOnday Smile. They recommended fitting the blank kit as fitting new valves is only s hort term fix!

The valves fail in the open position allowing un clean gases into a cold engine with no rpm to digest etc. Mine improves greatly if the air is warmer and the engine is up to temp etc.

BP
 www.jetskicentre.co.uk  
Post #7437689th Jan 2011 12:14 pm
leofwen

I would be very interested in seeing what your diagnostic checks reveal, if you are willing to publish.

Do you have any references to the purpose/function of the EGR system. The only thing that makes sense to me is maybe to attempt to reburn some exhaust gases and therefore give cleaner emmisions, so logically fitting blanking plugs should make the emmisions dirtier at moderate engine revs. Maybe we can get away with it in the UK because our emmisions testing is not as rigorous (or is that ridiculous) as in the USA. Possibly the existance of the EGR system is yet another example for us all paying the price for decisions made in the USA.

Once again many thanks for the response and the help.
 Ian L  
Post #7437759th Jan 2011 12:38 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi leofwen,
You can't blame the USA for the egrs as the TDV6 was not imported into USA.

Instead, they are a function of EU regs.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #74421410th Jan 2011 2:59 am
bornpompey

Well I drove over to Terrain vehicles in ST Leonards this morning to plug the D3 in and it did in ded come with EGR Faults.......On both.

So they are coming off and having the blank off kit fitted Very Happy

BP
 www.jetskicentre.co.uk  
Post #74443310th Jan 2011 3:24 pm
leofwen

After testing as suggested by bornpompey, I found the offside valve was blowing gases, and the neasr side was OK , so I bought the blanking set from Bell Auto Services (great service, ordered on line MOnday night delivered Wednesday morning). It's now fitted in about an hour and the difference is amazing. It's like new again.
A by product was the amount of gunge in the ducting. I manged quite easily to remove the duct so I cleaned it out. See the picture below.
I'll post details of what has happened to the economy in a few weeks.

Click image to enlarge
g][/img]
 Ian L  
Post #74556912th Jan 2011 5:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >