Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Sliding loadspace floor.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Sliding loadspace floor.....

Has anyone who has fitted the sliding loadspace floor into their motors managed to eradicate the rattle that they make .This happens when coming to a stop as the free play in the tray allows it to thud against the running rails.Same on take off.I haven't looked at it in details to see if maybe i can wedge a small piece of tough neoprene or rubber to take up the free space within the rail.Perhaps it needs the free space to allow it to operate.Any experience or tips would be great.
Thumbs Up
Its more or less the same mechanism as you would find on a standard office filing cabinet.Ive found it a great help since I fitted it , no longer having to tunnel my way to the rear of the loadspace to retrieve bits.

Post #20478618th Sep 2007 9:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alex08

Scotland 

Mine doesn't do that. Or if it does the music is too loud to hear it.

My floor/rails are quite a tight fit - I had to adjust the pull of the cable to release the floor as to start with it wouldn't move. Perhaps that is why it still doesnt' move easily. Why not try tightening up the release mechanism so that is only just releases the floor when activating the handle.

Were the rails mounted in the jig when you fitted them or loose? Maybe the teeth on one side don't match the tooth position on the other? I got mine from Brendan, but I suppose he isn't around to offer advice now Crying or Very sad

Post #20478818th Sep 2007 9:37 am
Wex

Alex .....

Quote:
Why not try tightening up the release mechanism so that is only just releases the floor when activating the handle.

Ill try that tonight or next nearest oppurtunity to see if it helps.Without looking at the mecanism there sees to be a stopper , in front of the rollers/wheels and behind, when the floor is in retracted position and the play is occurring between these.Sounds like it s only about 10 mm's of play overall

The floor was brand new , never previously fitted so yep it came with mounting jig fitted and I followed the instructions to a Tee ( unusual for me Rolling Eyes ).Ill give the above ago and tbh didn't even know thet the cable could be adjusted.Many thanks Alex and Ill update as soon as I have tried it out Thumbs Up

Laughing Brendans bits have been spread to all corners of the globe it seems , I have his Sidesteps and his ABar ( or was that BCB's before Brendan had it? Rolling with laughter

Post #20479618th Sep 2007 9:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I've often thought it would be useful to have a sliding loadspace fitted...but assumed it couldn't be done with 7 seats.

Is this a possibility (i.e. can it be made semi-permanent) or is it a 5 seat only job?

Also what is the max recommended weight when it is in the 'out' position?

DW - any photos?
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #20486318th Sep 2007 12:53 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

The floor rails fit along the loadspace to the side of the 3rd row seats. The sliding floor then mounts the rails like a drawer mechanism. If you want the floor out to use the seats it is as simple as removing a drawer from a cabinet (but a bit heavier Crying or Very sad ) I find it really useful for luggage as you can easily get the big items well into the loadspace and then top up the nooks and crannies by accessing the loadspace by folding the 2nd row seats.

When sitting in the 3rd row you don't even notice the rails.

When it's out I can sit on it - so that's more than (twice Crying or Very sad ) you can put on the roofrack! it is never further out than the lower tailgate even when fully extended. It is a nice piece of kit. But I don't know if I would pay £500 for it, or whatever LR charge these days.

Post #20487718th Sep 2007 1:16 pm
Wex

Quote:
Is this a possibility (i.e. can it be made semi-permanent) or is it a 5 seat only job?

Yes , have mine fitted to my seven seat.Semi Permanent ? yes , the sliding platform lifts out off the rails , sort of in the same action as you would remove a drawer from a filing cabinet ( if that illustrates it Shocked )

Max weight when extended or in extended position is 150 kgs.

The rails that the device/loadbay slides on are screwed into the screw holes where your chromed lugs are at the moment.So they are well out of the way of the seats , folded or unfolded.The lugs are then re-used by attaching them into a slot that runs the lenght of the new device/loadbay.They can be slid along this long slot and fixed into whatever position you like.The loadspace floor kit includes a cargo net with elasticated ropes and plastic hooks.No pics at the moment Paul but I plan a bit of a clean at the weekend( wish someone would start a topic/section on DETAILING Rolling with laughter Wink ) and will dust off my camera to take some pics apres clean.I was holding off doing this until I have fitted my cross bars.Ill take some pics with the space removed and fitted for youto see if it can aid you.

The finish is the same materiall as on the floor panels , maybe alittle hairier or tougher tho.Brendan told me that the loadspace rubber matt has a line formed it that can be cut to the exact same area as the new sliding floor.I dont have one though.

Ive found it a great help since Ive got it and it suits my needs nicely.A far more utilitarian Aussie manafactured storage version can be seen on Christ's gallery.

Any more questions fire away!

I bought mine from Riders Landrover in Truro for 115 pounds ( I think) which was a bargain.I think they had only one as they were doing a stock clearout.

Post #20488118th Sep 2007 1:18 pm
Wex

Quote:
Christ's gallery.
I mean ChrisT's gallery Embarassed Laughing  
Post #20488718th Sep 2007 1:27 pm
Googsy

Ireland 

Sounds kinky but have you tried smearing rails with vaseline?
 Googsy
2008 HSE TDV8

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder... 

Post #20490518th Sep 2007 2:03 pm
Wex

No , guide wheels aren't resisting movement Googs.The problem is when the loadspace is slid back in , tailgate closed and Im driving.When i come to a stop the loadspace gives alittle thud gainst the stopends of its rails and again alittle thud as I acceerate away.No lateral movement just forward and backwards play.

Post #20490918th Sep 2007 2:07 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Googsy wrote:

Discowex wrote:
Brendans bits have been spread to all corners of the globe it seems

What on earth ??? Shocked

I've got Brendan's old Expo rack Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #20491018th Sep 2007 2:08 pm
Wex

Quote:

Kinky section hasn't been invented here yet Googsy , ( altho I hear Tyres & Wheels section has harboured some S & M peeps there occasionally)

Post #20491918th Sep 2007 2:13 pm
Googsy

Ireland 

THanks Discowex for all your help on Sunday I am well pleased !!!
 Googsy
2008 HSE TDV8

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder... 

Post #20493118th Sep 2007 2:36 pm
Wex

Thumbs Up Thats what the forum is all about Googsy.Bonus that we ended up with so many extra nuts n washers too Whistle

Post #20493818th Sep 2007 2:49 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have a big plastic box with wheels on from OBI, Jammed in place with another smaller plastic box that fits exactly.
Does the job.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #20494118th Sep 2007 2:59 pm
Wex

2 of these up for auction on ebay at the mo if anyones interested. Another oneas a "buy it now ".

Post #20825326th Sep 2007 10:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >