Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Sinking driver's seat (manual)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Skippy Blue

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Sinking driver's seat (manual)

I have the low-tech manual height adjustment on my seats. Very gradually, the seat height seems to sag downwards so that most days I need to re-adjust it up again. Mildly irritating, but not worth the time to book it into the dealers. Is there something that can be tightened up on the mechanism ? I have had a look but not seen anything obvious to twiddle. (and yes, it already did it before I ate too much at Christmas !)

Post #2415717th Jan 2008 3:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

Skippy

well known issue on the manual seats, theres a tech bulletin out for a replacement seat base. I had mine done under wareenty. Get on to your dealer.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #2415787th Jan 2008 4:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Technical Bulliten No.LA501-021 released on 15 March 2006

Or look here Rolling Eyes

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic1493.ht...nking+seat
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #2415877th Jan 2008 4:28 pm
Skippy Blue

Thanks for that link. So off to my friendly LR Dealer for a free fix !

Post #2415927th Jan 2008 4:38 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

To be honest there is no dealer fix, the only way to stop it happening is to insert something between the lever and the seat plastic moulding as in the pics in the link above. The seat lowers due to the stupid design of the adjustment lever, every time you get in and out of the car your backside presses on the lever causing the seat to lower Evil or Very Mad
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #2415937th Jan 2008 4:49 pm
Skippy Blue

funny that, I thought it seemed to be less noticeable if I have dropped the car to access height - this must allow me to leap more gracefully into centre of the seat without landing my a**e on the lever first.

Rod

Post #2416287th Jan 2008 6:05 pm
al cope

England 

Andy

mine hasn't sunk since having the seat base replaced, so something must be different.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #2416367th Jan 2008 6:17 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Odd, my new one is a 2007 car and the seat still sinks as I get in and out, would have thought that if there was a modification they would have fitted as standard by now? Maybe worth that trip to the dealer after all. Is the height lever re-positioned on the modified version?
Post #2416547th Jan 2008 7:00 pm
al cope

England 

not that I can see, but mine kept sinking over the course of a long journey, not getting in and out. I guess my method of exiting the car doesnt catch the lever (its the double backflip method Whistle ), so the "journey" sinking has been fixed with the new seat base.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #2416827th Jan 2008 8:06 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

having my drivers seat base/lower seat cover being replaced under warranty next monday with our D3 S, 191k and still going Mr. Green Mr. Green strong!!!

Post #2420898th Jan 2008 6:08 pm
splicer

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yep, same problem with mine. Done it since new (~4 months) and slowly drops during a journey.
Not worth a special trip so I've added it to my list for it's first service.

Post #2421138th Jan 2008 6:54 pm
Locsuna

United Kingdom 

I had the sinking seat problem and on speaking to Land Rover they couldn't tell me why replacing the seat base cured it. I got it replaced anyway 5000 miles ago and haven't sunk yet. I tried cotefarmboys tip at first but couldn't get anything to stay under the lever prop. I had a look under the seat and near the rear of the frame are two holes beneath where the base canterlevers down. I set the seat to the required height and worked out by trial and error that a 4" nail would stop the seat dropping further if pushed it the holes. This worked but seemed a bit rough so 5mm rod was used cut to seat base width,painted black and pushed into place. Great for me but shorter wife wouldn't be able to adjust seat lower so I didn't tell her I'd done it...

Post #2424989th Jan 2008 2:50 pm
Mounty

Switzerland 

Read everything in both threads. Has anbody the exact words that are in the service prcedure. Suppose noe one has the whole TBS in German Whistle .

Mounty
 Daniel

Now: RSS 2008 3,6l HSE
Past: 2.7l D3 HSE, D3 4.4l HSE, FFRR 2004 4,4l 

Post #2570168th Feb 2008 7:24 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Locsuna wrote:
This worked but seemed a bit rough so 5mm rod was used cut to seat base width,painted black and pushed into place. Great for me but shorter wife wouldn't be able to adjust seat lower so I didn't tell her I'd done it...

Amy chance of some pics of where these rods need to go?
Post #2570298th Feb 2008 8:14 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine is booked in for it's 30000 mile service on Monday and they are replacing the seat base at the same time.
Will let you know how I get on.
As far as the difference between original and replacement versions are concerned I understand that the only difference between the two is closer toleranced components in the machanism. Shocked

Post #2570378th Feb 2008 8:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >