DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Side Step removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
garyr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Side Step removal

Hi all,

My Tonga Green HSE has side steps - and Im not sure if I love them or hate them yet.
I have seen a post about removing them but I was told by my dealer (well the sales guy to be honest) that if you removed them you would be left with holes in the sills that would be visible - Is this true or can you remove the side steps without any visible signs of them ever being there?

Thanbks
Gary
 56 Tonga Green HSE.  
Post #2219847th Nov 2007 8:00 pm
drafdog

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

the sales guy is correct. I removed my side steps and indeed there are three 2 inch x 4 inch holes on each side. They are not that noticeable unless you bend down and then it is very obvious. It may also depend on the color of your truck. My is Adriatic blue so no stark contrast.

Post #2219897th Nov 2007 8:10 pm
gazzab

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

why r u taking them off? I havent got any on mine. The wife says she doesnt like them, but I see the 6 yr old struggling a bit to climb in. Are they not worth it for access OR are they just another bolt on toy? Are the chrome ones a little better (ie dont poke out so far).

Post #2220007th Nov 2007 8:42 pm
drafdog

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

for me, the reason I removed them is they do not stand up well to offroading, especailly in tight rocky areas. I did not want them to get ripped off by a rock.

It took a bit for my 3 year old to get used to "climbing" in, but he does fine after learning where to step.

I do miss the ease of entry, so I am looking at getting a set of true rock sliders (ones that will provide side panel and under body protection as well as supporting the weight of the truck) that have a side step bar. There is a few posts on this forum that has more details on the sliders.

Post #2220047th Nov 2007 8:51 pm
garyr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

gazzab wrote:
why r u taking them off? I havent got any on mine. The wife says she doesnt like them, but I see the 6 yr old struggling a bit to climb in. Are they not worth it for access OR are they just another bolt on toy? Are the chrome ones a little better (ie dont poke out so far).

Im not defintely going to - just not sure yet if I am used to the flared look(the sticky out bits).That said from the advice about the holes left I will probably leave them on.

I bought the car with them on - if I had a choice I would not install them buit they do make access easier and protect the doors from others in car parks etc.
 56 Tonga Green HSE.  
Post #2220857th Nov 2007 10:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >