DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Service -
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
KevF

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4
Service - £755 WTF

Shocked

Ok...took the D3 into Hunters for EPB squeeling and rear wiper motor knackered. Whilst there, I asked for the 30k service to be done.
The EPB and wiper motor were (apparently) done under warranty but I got landed with a bill for £755 Shocked

My wife took the car in and collected so before I go in and query the bill, can I get some eductaed answers as to whether I am being taken up the chocolate chimney by the stealer.....the breakdown of the bill is :

30k service to Land Rover Specs = £302.95
Environmental charge = £6
Sundries and Consumables = £10.00

Oil Filter = £7.80
Filter Assy? = £28.00
Screen Wash = £1.90
Oil drain plug = £2.09
Fuel filter kit = £55.55
Tank Assy - Radi? = £22.44
1 x Brake pad = £55.00
2 x Brake disc = £70.00
Wire Assy? = £6.43
Bulb (reverse) = £0.64
Castrol Oil = £73.80

So thats parts costing £323.65 and Labour of £318.95 according to the breakdown on the receipt... Censored

I can understand oil filter and particulate filter (even if the car hasnt seen any off road action) but a complete fuel filter kit at 30k. And whats the tank assy?
I hope the brake pads come in a matching pair coz if they have only fitted one set of new pads but two new front discs I aint gonna be a happy bunny Evil or Very Mad Whats the Wire Assy all about too?

Any help would be appreciated. I was expecting a fairly sized bill and when I asked about servicing prices I was told £350 for the service but didnt realise that was just covering the labour....

JSF from here on in then.....

Kev

Post #32332718th Jul 2008 8:55 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Did they ask you if you wanted the brake discs done?

Wire assy would be the brake pad sensor & yes I'd hop they fitted a pair, but I think they come in a single pack with both sides in anyway which is why it shows only one (IIRC)

Still sounds damned high!
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #32333118th Jul 2008 9:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

£206 for 30k service, all inc (parts and VAT) at hereford LR. Your dealer's taking the p!ss. They should have asked about changing brake parts for your approval, not just done it. New disks at 30k? sounds like a licence to print money. If your is an auto, doing lots of town driving, then you might go through disks and pads quicker than a manual, but I was well over 40k miles for pads, and still on original disks with over 54k miles on.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #32333618th Jul 2008 9:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Snowy

England 
Re: Service - £755 WTF

KevF wrote:

1 x Brake pad = £55.00

Shocked Just 1 set? That seems a bit strange.

I paid £430 for 30K service including new front brake pads.

Plus they should have asked you before commencing with any other work...
 The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us yet.  
Post #32333918th Jul 2008 9:19 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Wot Bodsy said. Thumbs Up

- The wire assy will be the front (left?) wear sensor (only fitted to one side on each end).

- Particle filter would the pollen filter - it's normal to change at each service (and it's expensive)

- Fuel filter is changed at every 'B' service, so no problem there...

-Brake pads - yours is an auto, so unfortunately quite normal to change the fronts at 30K miles (or even before).

- Brake discs? WTF? These shouldn't need to be changed so early in it's life. However if they need to change them, then they would change both sides at the same time.

- Oil - price looks ok - make sure your invoice only states 6 litres though - some charge you for 7 or 8 litres even though the D3 only needs 5.5 litres during an oil change.

Non-service items (such as your pads/discs) should only be changed after you've given your consent. Evil or Very Mad

The labour cost to change the discs/pads should be lower if it's done during a service. The vehicle is already driven in, in a service bay and the wheels are already off. (they have standard times for the service which includes the above actions).

TBH I would be fuming. Way too much money for a car with only 30K miles. I recently had an 'A' service done together with front brake pad/wire change and it cost me 550 euros all in. And I thought that was a bit on the high side Wink

Good luck and let us know what happens. Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #32334018th Jul 2008 9:23 am
SI 1

United Kingdom 

I have just had a 30K service including new pads and discs, front wheels balanced it was a grand total of

£350 Very Happy and a clean Exclamation

Simon Thumbs Up
 1960 Morris Minor
1965 Morris Minor Traveller
Rangerover TDV8 (Current)
Discovery TD5 (Current)
BMW 123d SE (Current) 

Post #32334318th Jul 2008 9:32 am
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

That tank at £22.44 is the radiator expansion tank

You know the one that puts your low level coolant light one...You know the one 99% of people had replaced under WARRANTY Shocked Shocked

Those parts prices are current retail PLUS VAT

If they replaced the discs and pads without prior approval then i would be p'eed off and demand to see the old ones and if not presented then a full credit
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #32335518th Jul 2008 10:29 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I paid £350 for 2nd service, always pays to phone around for prices first. I know not always poss if you are very busy but (with a couple of exceptions) I assume the name stealer is there for a reason!

Post #32336618th Jul 2008 11:01 am
KevF

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks for the help guys.

Spoken to Hunters and they stand by their service charge. The Service manager says they charge £80 per hour for servicing. That level is set by Hunters.

I have had the Tank Assembly charge recredited as he agreed that shouldnt have been charged as it is under warranty.
The brakes were changed after they had spoken to my wife and she had agreed for a pad change only and not discs. they are going to have the disc available for me to see when I go up there later for the credit. He said that due to material in the brake pads, they are finding they need replacing a lot sooner than before and he has Range Rovers coming back for new discs after 12k miles... Shocked License to print money then... Censored

All the other stuff is correct for the service and they only put 6 litres of oil in as the D3 TD takes 6.2 litres in total.

So still not an amazing reduction but some and a sharp learning curve not to go back there except for warranty issues.

Last edited by KevF on 18th Jul 2008 2:25 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #32339318th Jul 2008 11:49 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Make sure they credit you with the part and the labour for the tank assembly. They should work to LR book times for the other things. One to highlight when you get your post service survey through from LR
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #32340218th Jul 2008 12:11 pm
Steve H

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Just been quoted 340 pounds for 12 month service but also offered a good discount of around 25% as I bought the D3 from them. The dealer is Rocar Moores Huddersfield. They have also offered to supply and fit a missing seat adjuster knob that I failed to notice when I collected the car 3 to 4 months ago (it had been a demonstrator for a few monthshence the need for a service)
Very Happy Very Happy
 D4 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey  
Post #32342118th Jul 2008 1:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >