Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Have you seen this......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If we get faster Mac's and more bang for the buck... then that is good for Apple and all us users surely ?

It will still be a Mac but with a different processor is all... and what is a Mac ?

The OS and the user experience not the processor type.

-s

Post #470416th Jun 2005 10:08 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Many years back I used to have an Amiga, back then they were okay with Mac users as they used the same Motorola CPUs. Apparently the proc no longer matters, how times change....
 The End  
Post #470716th Jun 2005 10:15 pm
simon

Well... if you've been running your new OS on both Intel and PowerPC procs for the last five years then I guess it matters not anymore for OS X and many apps.

I hear that developers left the recent developers conference very happy bunnies with many having already re-complied their apps for Intel based Mac's.

-s

Post #471016th Jun 2005 10:20 pm
Blue

Hey, I still keep my Amiga in a box somewhere, along with a couple of Macs. Back then the hardware made a bigger difference, but now OS are so huge that hardware doesn't account for much of the user experience.

So, imagine your PDA talking to the Disco via Bluetooth... Very Happy Download the stats for each trip, analyse the data on your PC at the end of the week, reset errors with the tip of your stylus... A free dream over here, care to join?

Blue

Post #471716th Jun 2005 11:27 pm
ducati

Simon, that really depends upon how much you have invested in PowerPC software. Sure, Apple says they'll deliver an emulator so you can run your software, but who here thinks that will work out well for real-world use?

For me, dropping a grand or so on software for my wife's art/design, and then being told I have to buy it again, is more than a little annoying.

But beyond that: it's the POINT. I assume you've had many macs: don't you remember the speeches about how PowerPC was so much better than Intel? Why RISC-based computing was so much more efficient for the things Mac users do? And how you should be PROUD to "think different?"

Well, now it's "think similar" Laughing

Honestly, I'll still buy apples because YES the OS is way better. I am a .NET developer by trade, so I use Windoze all day long and choose Mac to use at home. I'll still choose Mac. But I can't help but feel a little let down, a little disappointed, with Mr. Jobs.
 '05 LR3 HSE

Departed: '62 Series IIA, '02 Freelander, '03 Disco 

Post #475217th Jun 2005 12:54 pm
simon

If you have modern and up to date software that follows the Apple developer guidelines I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The major developers (ie most of them do graphics and video / audio apps) should be able to deliver binaries for both Intel and PPC in future upgrades / updates to their apps.

This transition will not be anything like the 68K to PPC one many years ago...

Lets wait and see.

-s

Post #475417th Jun 2005 12:59 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Blue wrote:
So, imagine your PDA talking to the Disco via Bluetooth... Very Happy Download the stats for each trip, analyse the data on your PC at the end of the week, reset errors with the tip of your stylus... A free dream over here, care to join?

Blue

Well, even better, and I am sure it will come one day, instead of dealing with pre-heat or pre-cool, imagine giving a phone call or sending a special SMS from your Tréo or other Smartphone and having the car answer and be hot or cool at the right time ? Wink

The rest would come along... Wink

Post #478417th Jun 2005 7:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

This can actually be done now.

Post #478717th Jun 2005 9:49 pm
Blue

Sure, mix time, know-how and money and you could have it done. But I don't imagine LR putting it in the 2006 model.

Like other technologies that spin off from Formula One, eventually computers will continue invading automobiles to maximize fuel efficiency and performance, plus the bells and whistles that "digital" brings along. Anyway, the more we dream, the more we could get:

-"Ring-ring"
-"Hello?"
-"I'm your Disco3, someone's breaking in. If I should e-mail the picture to the police press 1. If I should immobilize the intruder press 2. If I should scare the freckles off him press 3."
-"Don't be silly KITT, and go bring me some of those hot off-road chicks."

Blue  
Post #479317th Jun 2005 11:05 pm
BN

England 

Blue, this can be done. My collegue builds them. I have them in my 110's a device that I can switch off the engine and activate the brakes from anywhere in the world. It is called CATE. Take a look at www.autowatch.co.za If you want one, let me know think he has installers in Spain. I don't think the site is finished yet as it is so new, but details could be sent, I am sure.

I have also installed the tracking device in the D3, but not sure about connecting to the brakes yet as it is illegal in the UK.

Post #479517th Jun 2005 11:53 pm
Gurvan

Thanks for the link... I am gonna check that one right now... Spain is not that far from France and I'll be back there in less than 2 months ! Wink

Post #479918th Jun 2005 12:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

I know the lads will all laugh, but if you want a contact let me know and I give you a directors name. You know, my problem is that I have been around too much. The names Who - Dr Who Very Happy

Post #481519th Jun 2005 8:11 am
Gurvan

Anything new regarding testbooks ?

Hello everyone,

Has anyone anything new to report about a diagnostic system for enthusiasts ?

That is something cheap enough (Let us say no more expensive than a laptop and a complicated piece of software...) that would let us explore and diagnose the faults of our DIII if and when they occur...

I have been doing a "tour" of several dealer in that kind of things like :

http://www.roverparts.com/Omitec/Omitec-T4Mobile.cfm
http://www.autologic-diagnos.com/products/lrnews.htm
http://www.rovacomlite.com/

But the DIII seems to be still "in developpement" or in the very expensive range...

So, if anyone has an idea...

Post #557601st May 2006 9:59 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think it will be a while yet. I suppose when the first vehicles come out of warranty will be the catalyst for affordable independant diags.

Post #557631st May 2006 10:01 am
Gurvan

You might be right...

Still, I would like to find something that could help avoid unnecessary trip to the dealership... Confused

It will come one day. But I would like that day to come sooner... Wink

Post #557681st May 2006 10:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >