Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Second hand caravan advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Second hand caravan advice

Time has come to try a caravan Big Cry .

Had a bit of advice, but thought I'd ask on here in case iv missed any thing

So far I know I would like

Twin axle ( ideally with mover )
Fixed double bed - either island or the other type ( French ? )
4 berth seems to be fine
Don't mind rear bathroom or centre bathroom ( dependant on bed layout obviously )
Longer the better ( might as well get as much space as I can )
Budget around £10,000

Dealer seems a safer option , but obviously expensive and they appear to remove anything of value

Private tend to be cheaper , but often include awnings and other stuff .

So any suggestions / make / models to look out for ?

Thanks
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #193761817th Apr 2018 11:36 pm
MorganD379

Wales 

Just remember 7m limit not including the aframe, a lot of the nice hobby caravans exceed this... I'm sure the forum has covered this Thumbs Up

Also some caravans carry a service history, covers checks to gas appliances among other things which gives peace of mind when purchasing private.

May find some specific info/issues for the models you look at here https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/

Good luck hunting

Post #193762318th Apr 2018 5:15 am
Pelyma

England 

Join the caravan club, there are often really good deals from people packing up.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #193762518th Apr 2018 6:39 am
Hot Tub

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Once you find something get an inspection done before completing purchase and if owner doesn't like walk away. Get a damp meter for when you go to first look. Go local to get an idea of what you want then look further afield once you have narrowed it down or ask on here if anyone can give it a look rather than travel long distances and not as described Thumbs Up

Post #193763518th Apr 2018 7:47 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It all depends on how you intend using it, if you want it for touring, sort stays with lots of travelling, my advice as a long term caravan owner and ex 200 'van site owner is and always will be go for the smallest you can, modern awnings are very easy to erect and double the size of a 'van.
Looking inside larger caravans can have a big "wow" factor but have downsides for touring, storage, manoeuvring, pitches not big enough, but are home from home when parked up, if you are going stay in one place or have a season pitch the larger the better. Hobby make some excellent all *year round 'vans and sell very cheap second hand but don't suit everybody.

*Not all 'vans are all year round, keep this in mind if you may use it in winter, Hobby are with all pipes running inside for frost protection and fully insulated, Hobby claim equal to a 9" brick wall Shocked
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #193766218th Apr 2018 9:22 am
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

I got this a few months ago 50th anniversary model , very nice inside and with full new awning

Got it for my 27 year old to live in in me garden so he can try and save some dosh Rolling Eyes
I paid £2000 for it , everything works as it should , hope to use it myself for a few trips when he finally moves out Whistle Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #193766618th Apr 2018 9:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

Just to go somewhere different at the weekends

Probably 2 or 3 different sites while away for 10 days at Easter

Iv been warned to stay away from hobby’s .. apparently great caravans .. but are the chosen accommodation for certain travellers 😉
Post #193767018th Apr 2018 9:54 am
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Not my scene Ade, but my brother has a Hymer, had it for a few years, solid build with sips type polyeurothane panels I believe, fixed bed and all you'll need for two, he went to Lowdham leisure 👍
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #193767418th Apr 2018 9:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

Probably not mine either Shocked , but she’s wanted one for 27 years so I think Iv done well in holding back Laughing
Post #193767618th Apr 2018 10:05 am
muddywheels4wd

England 

I was a vanner for around 30 years before giving up due to falling build quality and rising prices of new vans Sad

It was also getting harder to find quiet sites and gone are the days when you could just turn up at last minute because you fancied a weekend away Rolling Eyes

Some things I'd like to share -

1. access door in front of wheels on twin axle have suffered structural failure due to design/weakness between door and roof (happened to my 2010 Elddis and many more owners I know on caravantalk)

2. water ingress at joints increasingly common especially on newer vans with so called improved jointing techniques (get a damp test done). Any missed services warranty invalid whatever they hook you with in the brochure

3. End bathroom/Transverse bed was our favorite layout once the kids stopped coming after many different vans - gave a big bathroom space and separate bed/lounge so minimum effort required morning/night

4. Work out all your costs before you make the plunge - was costing me a fortune in depreciation, storage, insurance, servicing, etc and in the end we decided the problems outweighed the pleasure

5. If you've never vanned before I'd suggest hiring first or borrow a friends - lot of people take the plunge and then sell at a loss when they realise it's not for them

6. Take a look at Caravantalk - some good people there who will help you and you may find a nice members van - there are a few PITAs too but just ignore them Wink

7. Lot of reports Hobbies turned away from sites so probably best avoided

8. Worth joining Caravan Club or Camping & Caravan Club to access best sites IMHO - I prefer the farm sites - Certified (CS/CL)

Sure I've missed some important stuff but happy to answer questions if I can Thumbs Up
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 

Post #193769018th Apr 2018 10:26 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

wiggs wrote:
Just to go somewhere different at the weekends

Probably 2 or 3 different sites while away for 10 days at Easter

Iv been warned to stay away from hobby’s .. apparently great caravans .. but are the chosen accommodation for certain travellers 😉

It can be an issue not knowing who the previous owners where, but they really are excellent all year round caravans, out of curiosity I suggest you take a look at one and I’m not trying to persuade you either way, but I will guarantee the first word you will say is “wow”. Laughing
I collected mine direct from the factory in Germany and the fellow who dealt with me could speak better English than me, he when on to say the Irish are one of their best customers Whistle
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #193781218th Apr 2018 4:09 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

First off the van, go for the newest you can afford and check check and re-check for damp oh and did I say check for damp

Secondly, why worry about a mover when you have a Disco, it is more money, more weight and I so far have not been aywhere where I cannot manouver the van with the Disco

Here is mone all set up in France

and just before setting off
Click image to enlarge

If you can get one get one with wet heating it is much better and more balanced across the van. Is does eat into the battery if you are camping off grid but nothing a generator or decent solar panel cannot fix.

When going for sites, go for CL's more than the club sites, they are not as busy and there is normally a lot more space, they are also a lot cheaper.

We have had Dethleffs, Lunar, Bailey, vondale (now out of bussiness) and now the new Swift hybrid construction. Overall we feel the Swift is the best, it is well built has good warranty support, does not suffer damp (just had third service and fitter said never seen one back for damp issues yet).

as for prvate or dealer, dealer will give you better support and normally they have shed loads of second hand awnings about and can often be coaxed into giving you an awning as part of the deal along with some of the other bits needed.

Good luck
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #193790618th Apr 2018 8:07 pm
muddywheels4wd

England 

Agree on mover - never needed one myself Thumbs Up

Another thing if buying from dealer miles away it's not like a car where you can go to nearest and get warranty work done - they'll tell you to go where you bought it which can be pita believe me Embarassed
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 

Post #193792618th Apr 2018 8:44 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Second that about warranty

We brought a few from Campbells Caravans Preston, their service was crap but their prices were very good, that is if they are still going
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #193793118th Apr 2018 8:58 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

yes they are still going Thumbs Up
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #193793218th Apr 2018 9:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >