Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Second battery installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

As in my last post, your quote 'horses for courses'.... I am not criticising your unit, just offering an alternative in the UK. I'm sure they both have their advantages. I particually need the dual sensing and manual link features.

This unit has suited my commercial needs perfectly and has worked faultlessly in all the vehicles fitted. We normally fit 200-300 ah of additional batteries to run all the kit.
I posted my findings on the unit purely for info to fellow D3 owners, not to get into a long debate of who's is best. They are all free to choose what they want.

Post #23305611th Dec 2007 11:19 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter FFS, XTC is stating the kit that works for him - it's not a sales pitch!!

BTW, with all these 'dire warnings' , howcome my fridge, PC, GSM controlled heating, HSDPA modem, etc.etc. can run the aux. battery down to 9.5VDC and it still recharges from the alternator with a 'simple' solenoid Confused
Also, I think you'll find that a 'hot' engine has no effect upon the ambient temperature sensor by virtue of the engine cooling fan drawing fresh air across the sensor once the engine is started....

Finally, I pay for my advertising Ner Ner

Post #23306211th Dec 2007 11:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drivesafe

Australia 

xtc wrote:
I particually need the dual sensing

Hi again xtc, the SC40-LR has that function automatically covered by it's operating features.

xtc wrote:
We normally fit 200-300 ah of additional batteries to run all the kit.

The SC80-LR is specifically designed for multi auxiliary battery set-ups and again has features not found on other DBS.

xtc wrote:
I posted my findings on the unit purely for info to fellow D3 owners, not to get into a long debate of who's is best. They are all free to choose what they want.

Yes but you also posted that you “needed something a little smarter” and I was just pointing out that you have not, by a long way, succeeded in getting the smartest system for a D3

Cheers.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #23308011th Dec 2007 11:58 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hi Drivesafe. I am certainly no expert on dual charging systems, and cannot argue with anyone here about the pro's and cons of different set-ups. My D3 just starts when I turn the key, and stops when I turn it the other way Thumbs Up

But it does seem like you have a product that you obviously believe is good, and are possibly trying to sell to D3/RRS owners (SC40LR), and maybe you should consider contacting Martin to arrange to advertise it on here?

Post #23308712th Dec 2007 12:16 am
drivesafe

Australia 

10forcash wrote:
BTW, with all these 'dire warnings' , howcome my fridge, PC, GSM controlled heating, HSDPA modem, etc.etc. can run the aux. battery down to 9.5VDC and it still recharges from the alternator with a 'simple' solenoid Confused
Also, I think you'll find that a 'hot' engine has no effect upon the ambient temperature sensor by virtue of the engine cooling fan drawing fresh air across the sensor once the engine is started....

Hi 10forcash
As to the temperature, the problem described above is a very common one here for other DBS and anywhere where the daytime temperatures can get up a bit, even in Britain during summer ( when most people do there trips ) so it’s not a ‘dire warning’ but a fact of life if you have a D3.

10forcash wrote:
Finally, I pay for my advertising Ner Ner
and so do I and I have already offered to do that ( months ago ) and I’m just waiting for Martin to let me know what he wants.

Cheers.
Post #23308912th Dec 2007 12:26 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Martin will be in touch shortly Thumbs Up

Post #23309012th Dec 2007 12:28 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Gareth wrote:
Hi Drivesafe. I am certainly no expert on dual charging systems, and cannot argue with anyone here about the pro's and cons of different set-ups. My D3 just starts when I turn the key, and stops when I turn it the other way Thumbs Up

But it does seem like you have a product that you obviously believe is good, and are possibly trying to sell to D3/RRS owners (SC40LR), and maybe you should consider contacting Martin to arrange to advertise it on here?

Hi Gareth, thanks mate and I have contacted Martin and will hopefully be doing some advertising here as I am already getting sales all over the world because of the coverage others have given my product on this site.

Just waiting for Martins requirements.

Cheers.
Post #23309112th Dec 2007 12:31 am
10forcash

So if I understand you right, with my constant current draw and 'hot starts' I should be (and so should a lot of others) suffering from a permanently discharged aux. battery due to my 'simple' setup - but i'm not, can you explain why? while you're at it, howcome jump leads 'work' even from a independent battery ? and why does my 12V handlamp recharge? oh, and if I connect a fully discharged battery pack, that also seems to charge up as well - and the vehicle still starts - very strange (by your rules....) Confused

Post #23309312th Dec 2007 12:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi again 10forcash, you say a “simple set up” what exactly does that mean, as the discussion has been about so called smart chargers.

does your set up fall into this category or is it something else?

Cheers.
Post #23309612th Dec 2007 12:46 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have a problem.

My battery just works hot, cold or not.

How do I get this issue fixed ? Is it a warranty job ?

Please advise.

Post #23309712th Dec 2007 12:47 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Well, my battery is defo discharged now, so I'm off to bed to recharge it. Behave Thumbs Up

Post #23309912th Dec 2007 12:49 am
10forcash

drivesafe wrote:
Hi again 10forcash, you say a “simple set up” what exactly does that mean, as the discussion has been about so called smart chargers.

does your set up fall into this category or is it something else?

Cheers.
it's exactly the same setup as last time we had this mass debate Thud

Si, so does mine - i'm getting quite worried too, less than two years warranty left Shocked Shocked

Post #23310112th Dec 2007 12:49 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

10forcash wrote:
Si, so does mine - i'm getting quite worried too, less than two years warranty left Shocked Shocked

Hey !

Mine runs out on Dec 24th Shocked Shocked And I have a month to run her till I hand her back to the gods that created her. Will she be OK ?

Post #23310312th Dec 2007 12:54 am
10forcash

do you have a deWalt cordless drill battery and 200mm of cat5 cable you can keep in the glovebox just in case - it sound's crazy but it might just work Wink

Post #23310512th Dec 2007 1:02 am
drivesafe

Australia 

10forcash wrote:
it's exactly the same setup as last time we had this mass debate Thud

HHMMMM, so what’s the warranty got to do with anything.

10forcash, I don’t remember what your set up is but for the vast majority of D3 owners, who install an auxiliary battery, the simplest and most common set up is to put a battery in the spare battery compartment under the bonnet.

This unfortunately means that the size of the battery is limited to a fairly small battery and this is where the SC40 has it over other DBS.

Not only does SC40-LR make sure that the potential of above problem is negated, it also gives an immediate 50% increase in stored accessories power capacity and even if you don’t need all the extra power, because of the way the SC40 and the SC80 share the load, they will help to extend the operating life of your auxiliary batteries because the batteries will not be discharged as low as they would with any other DBS, including yours 10forcash.

10forcash, if your happy with your set up, fine and tell everybody about it, just like I’m telling everybody about the SC40-LR.

Is this a plug for my gear, of course it is but it’s based on the fact that the SC40 offers features for D3 owners that no other DBS offer, or are you saying everybody should just go with your set up and to hell with any advantages anything else might offer.

Cheers.
Post #23310812th Dec 2007 1:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >