DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Screeching sound at 1800 RPM... yet another thread D3 manual
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mek

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Screeching sound at 1800 RPM... yet another thread D3 manual

Hi everyone,

I've been on a mission this month to sort my car before heading into the mountains in Febuary.

One of the problems on my fix list was a screech / chirpy /squirrely sound I have at 1800-2000 RPM which started some time last year. This only occurs on a steep hill, it seems to be present when car is hot or cold and putting aircon into eco has no effect. I can hear nothing untoward from the right front wheel well at idle.

Last weekend I changed the aux belt, tensionner and idle pulley naively attributing the problem to this, however all the bits I pulled off seemed fine and the noise remains. I did notice the there was quite a lot of play but no no noise/friction in the water pump bearing.

The previous weekend I changed the clutch, flywheel and rear prop. Diff/gearbox/transfer case fluids changed 2 years ago. All hoses changed to silicone recycling the original clamps except the short hose which I may try to fit this weekend. Intercooler changed 2 years ago for a LR one.

Can anyone suggest what the culprit might be /plan of attack is to try to diagnose this? Having been so close to the crossover pipe last weekend (which didn't look sooty) I dearly hope it isn't this! My downpipe bolts were rusted beyond my removal skills/equipment in the self-service garage so I can't easily change a gasket there. Again I did spend time very close to this and that didn't look sooty either.

Can I monitor/capture boost pressure with a BT IID?

The good news is the noise goes away when I turn the radio on Wink

Cheers,

Andy

Post #201890015th Jan 2019 8:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >