Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Scratches help?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
drzjoint

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

SOMTHING TO PUT ON THE VEHICLE TO PROTECT FROM SCRATCHES WHILE ON THE TRAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES and it is simple. I used magnetic vinyl. I bought a 50x2' roll and cut out pieces to fit over the vehicle. they are removable and work great over and over again. you have to tape the edges down so brush and 90mph drives dont lift it off.
They dont mention it on their site. I use 3m masking tape.

It will not work for the hood or hatch
tHE VINYL ONLY COST ABOUT 100 BUCKS US.
 2005 SE-7 BLUE
AKA THE JUGGERNOT B**CH 

Post #48109114th Jun 2009 1:47 am
AJCvinylsigns

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

After green laning I discovered the same problem as post opener and wondered if there was a way of protecting the complete side bodywork from scratches from heather/shrubery etc on tight lanes.

I thought about covering the side of the vehicle in vinyl but it would be hugely wasteful, time consuming and leave lots of adhesive residue to polish out so I had another idea (which I now realise has been tried before as previous posts explain).

I sometimes have customers who want signage to advertise their business when 'on-call' or using the vehicle for business purposes but don't want permanent signage as they use their vehicle as the family car or park it in dodgy areas and don't want to advertise the fact the van probably contains £K's of equipment and so have gone for magnetic signs. Very durable, quick and easy to remove/apply, last for years etc etc.

I used some old stock to try out the idea of completely covering the sides of my D3. Each side is made up of 4 sections (very easy to align) going as low as the top of the indented sections at the base of the doors and as high as the underside of the door handles (following the natural crease line seen on the front and rear side panels. Basically a 600mm stripe of protective magnetic 'board' right down both sides. I did not fit it until I got to the area where I was going to go offroad but these stick to vans and taxis moving at some speed so would probably be absolutely fine up to legal speeds.

They worked amazingly well, no need to tape edges, made cleaning the car afterwards so much easier (looks wierd taking them off when all mud splattered to reveal perfectly clean striped sides). Jet washed the magnetic boards and they're ready to be used over and over again.

To jazz mine up a bit I incorporated a waved chequer flag design coming off front wheel arch and flames ripping back from rear wheel arch. In the middle I have modified a huge LandRover badge in usual green and gold to incorporate the slogans "THE BEST 4 X 4 X FAR" and "WE RESCUE FOREIGN '4x4s' ... BECAUSE WE CAN!"

Would advertise these for sale but I'll get done for using the forum to advertise. Like the idea of the zebra skin effect, never thought of that, the possibilities are endless.

Post #5285562nd Oct 2009 12:26 pm
goodfella

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

How much would a set be hyperthetically? Whistle
 Badda bing.......How you doin'?

Java black SE, standard spec. Clean and shiny.

Club TFC - Off Road Essentials
Club Tesco Finest Warranty
Club G4 Stickers even though it's not a G4
Club Rhino Rack 

Post #5285932nd Oct 2009 1:47 pm
SN

AJCvinylsigns wrote:

To jazz mine up a bit I incorporated a waved chequer flag design coming off front wheel arch and flames ripping back from rear wheel arch. In the middle I have modified a huge LandRover badge in usual green and gold to incorporate the slogans "THE BEST 4 X 4 X FAR" and "WE RESCUE FOREIGN '4x4s' ... BECAUSE WE CAN!"

Would be good to see some pictures of this Thumbs Up
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #5285962nd Oct 2009 1:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AJCvinylsigns

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You gonna get me shot, the powers 'that be' already believe I'm only on here to promote business Embarassed

goodfella, as I've pm'd loads of people who've asked same question, depends on how many I could shift as I can knock them out for less per unit the more I make - I pay less per metre the more I buy. by the time you add on P&P plus cost of any graphics/logos/slogans etc you desire...

Ball park figure: not cheap (the magnetic rolls are not cheap for me to buy in - that's before I do anything with it and post to wherever). Hyperthetically Whistle my set would have cost me (as a customer) around £400 Shocked With more basic graphics and if I were to have ordered 10 for example, I would expect to pay £50 - £100 less per set.

SN, I'd love to share some pics of the protectors doing their job on Rudland Rigg North Yorks last weekend but;
1. Haven't got a clue how to post pics as a reply on here and,
2. I'd put some on my web site but daren't 'promote business'.

For the record this is not a sales pitch, to be honest I can't produce them 'dirt cheap' unless you are fortunate enough to consider the afore mentioned prices as 'dirt cheap'. I'll deal with any other enquiries away from this forum in order to avoid 'treading on toes'

Thanks Andrew

Post #5297535th Oct 2009 9:49 am
wilsonmg

England 

Why not have a chat with the 'powers that be', and see if we can get a price for a standard 'DISCO3.CO.UK' branded one's and sellt hem through the site shop 8) . .

I for one would be up some, especially for when we go on trips organized via this forum Thumbs Up
 Still miss my D3 Sad  
Post #5298455th Oct 2009 12:54 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

I think something like this has come up before, and there was was a concern about grit under the magnetic panels being quite as damaging as any brambles unless you keep the scrupulously clean... any observations on that given your experiences so far?

Martin

Post #5298665th Oct 2009 1:19 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I know someone who made a set of these and they work very well indeed.

He just rolls them up and keeps them in the back of the D3 - takes about 4 minutes to stick them on and even less to remove them.

He lost one when going through undergrowth but just made another one - they stick reasonably well and really do protect the paintwork if that's what you want.

I saw a very slight marring of the paintwork, but only about 5% of what an automatic carwash would do every time you went through it. It was almost completely clear of bramble rash and the guy doesn't shy away from getting his D3 dirty....

I don't know how much it cost him, but it was really relatively cheap - probably the same as a single machine polish.

JF Lux saw them when he was over here 5 or 6 weeks ago. Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #5298905th Oct 2009 1:52 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

PaulP wrote:
JF Lux saw them when he was over here 5 or 6 weeks ago. Thumbs Up

That I did. The car looked pretty much immaculate - so I asked how was that possible, and he showed me the roll of magnetic material. They roll up quite small as well. About 15cm diameter at a guess ?

IIRC, the cost was a lot less than even a machine polish. But these were made up of some off-cuts.

I'm trying to see if I can source some off-cuts in Lux as well. Definitely worth getting hold of.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #5299045th Oct 2009 2:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >