DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Scouts - Memory Map Question...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Scouts - Memory Map Question...

OK, so wasn't sure where to put this, as it may be off topic as it's nothind to do with a D3...... but is to do with navigation.

I've just read through 4 pages of 'Memory Map' search results and just wanted to try to summarise what I think I've learnt & ask a couple of questions.......

Situation/Use
We're going to be getting some funding (Scout Group) which we want to use to buy some digital maps (and a Laptop unless someone like DiscoCuzzy wants to get an end of life one for me Whistle Whistle Wink )

There are several options out there, ISYS seems popular (but only in the popular areas!) and Memory Map will do the 'educational' licence (which the Scout Association has available to them).

Will be used primarily to print copies of maps to help all members of the group with their map reading /navigation skills etc.
Would be wanting to use 1:25,000 so we have sufficient detail for some of the nav-ex they'll do.

My understanding
There are of course Maps that we can buy and at 1:25,000 would provide the best quality and ease of use etc etc. They're approx £100.00 each area.
There are 16 areas in total that they cover for this area, which come out as Censored expensive.

What my plan would be, is to buy the regions that we would use most often. Snowdonia, Lake District, Ben Nevis/Glencoe and then potentially import scans of other regions as required. To eventually build up a map of the UK.

1. As there's quite a few users out there, does anyone have regions of the map area's that they've scanned in that would assist me with that part.
2. Can anyone give me guidance on the 'import' process of these scanned images and how they would be 'georeferenced' (is that the right term?)

The Aim would be to be able to quickly and easily print out maps for scouts hikes etc at short notice and to assist the scouts in the overall planning process.

Not particularly bothered about GPS functionality (although as soon as we have it, I'm sure that there will be a need!)

Any useful information would be more than welcome either on here or by PM.

Many thanks

Meole Brace 'Mohawks' Scout Troop Wink
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #43617910th Mar 2009 2:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
frenchy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

PM sent
Thumbs Up

Post #43618710th Mar 2009 2:14 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Slightly off topic. But you can get the OS maps for free on the iPhone. Depending on how posh your Scouts are, if they've got iPhones, you can get the OS stuff on there. There are also a load of other interesting and free GPS things available...
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #43620910th Mar 2009 3:05 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Yup, got the iPhone myself, but I don't know of many 10-14 year olds with iPhones!

I've tried a few apps on my iPhone, but there's no chance it would last all day out on the hills with GPS tracking without my power monkey!

Additionally, it gets away from the 'skills' of reading maps which is tough enough for some of them at the best of times (standing in front of a church & they ask what the circle with the cross is on the map and are they near to it Thud ) Hence the need to have a navigation focus Wink
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #43621310th Mar 2009 3:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Bodsy wrote:
...I've tried a few apps on my iPhone, but there's no chance it would last all day out on the hills with GPS tracking..

Rubbish isn't it! Sorry, was thinking Scouts were older than that. I think I probably felt older when I was in Scouts!
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #43621510th Mar 2009 3:13 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Bodsy,

Did you know that you can copy OS Maps for use for Scouts for free? There is a legal disclaimer that you need to add to each map which explains that the Scout Association has bought a licence from the OS and that the map has been copied under that licence. Once you've scanned it, you can easily add way points on etc with photoshop and print them out.

I am a DESC and also run D of E training and a night nav competition for hampshire Scouts so if you need a copy of the disclaimer etc. let me know.

Do let me know if you buy memory map and how you get on with it, because I am looking for something like that for checking D of E route cards easily! Also it would be good for the mountaineering team I am a member of - save doing long hand route cards.

Stu
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #43624710th Mar 2009 4:29 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Hi Stu,
Glad to see I'm not the only madman doing this kind of thing. Been VSL and ADC in the past, but now taking a much more relaxed (and less time consuming!) back seat in the group. Help when and where I can, but (trying) not to get 'too' involved. Already have a daughter who dances 4/5 days a week if I get too involved I'm sure I'll never see the Mrs (mmmm now there's a plan Smile )

Back on topic Smile Yes, aware of the licence and text that needs to be added. For copying the OS Maps only problem is a) the time to get the original map b) scanning is a pain in the backside & invariably is scanned/stiched wonky c) you need to know what area to go to before you get the map.

The idea with the digital version is as a resource for the troop to use to a) review the area (any area of UK) in detail b) ability to print out & learn themselves c) we like gadgets Smile

Although most of them can't read maps very well (yet), a fair few do the monthly mountain group walks as well as other ones that come up as part of the troop activities, so figuring they need all the help they can get & maybe, just maybe some of what we're showing them will stick!

I'll keep you up dated Stu Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #43626010th Mar 2009 4:56 pm
JPW

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Bodsy, Stu

I suspect there are quite a few of us Scouts on the forum. I'm a SL in Essex, but have had various other roles in the past.

You're right about Scouts and map reading - i find that getting them to orientate it (so that they can work out left and right) is a struggle!

I'd also be interested in how you get on with memory map so let us know.

Post #43631910th Mar 2009 7:13 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Explorer Scout Leader for Luxembourg's one and only English speaking Scout Group (called Telstar).

And I didn't know OS maps could be used for free (ok...so that doesn't help us day to day over here - but definately worth remembering...)

And Bodsy - no, you are not the only madman... Laughing
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #43643310th Mar 2009 10:11 pm
Disco3newbie

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi Bodsy,

I use an older version of Memory Map for flying and find it extremely useful. I was lucky enough to acquire a complete set of UK and Ireland maps so great for routeplanning. You can print onto waterproof/tearproof A4 paper for field use (www.toughprint.com) that is expensive (£15/25 sheets) but seems indestructable. Also I think it is possible to select scale so you can get overview on larger (or is it smaller) scale map. If you do want to use for GPS waypoints etc I think you need V5 or above.

Post #43644410th Mar 2009 10:18 pm
bigdal

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

I run an MSA approved rally recovery unit covering many tarmac and forest events thoughout southern uk
I use memorey map on a hand held pocket pc and it is great.
I usually get various bits of route info and RV points sent to me before the rally and programe them in using my desktop pc in the comfort of my office
Its great for printing out sections of maps on A4 paper which u can either laminate or just use as they are and throw away when they get trashed.
I would suggest you go to the OS outdoor show at the NEC at the end of March, its where I brought mine from a few years ago on a good deal and if they have a stand there they usually do a number of 1 hour free workshop/ demos to show you what it can do

Darren
 Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them!!!!!!  
Post #43719712th Mar 2009 10:52 am
Rescue01

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Bodsy i use the Anquet O/S mapping system( on 1:50th)

i purchased a disc that covers the whole of Scotland and north of England for under£100.

with this i can print as many maps as i want, its easy to use and compatible with Garmin GPS.

Check them out at www.anquet.co.uk

hope this helps

Thumbs Up
 Its not the height of the fall but the sudden stop at the bottom that hurts!!  
Post #43768213th Mar 2009 12:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >