Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Scorpion Verde All season v P-Zero
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I've decided to go down the verde route when I replace my tyres . I was not impressed with trying to stop in the scorpion zeros in compressed snow. (3 ton sledge has been mentioned).

I don't do any off road driving on muddy tracks/fields so don't need that capability (ATRs etc). I don't want the bother of Winter tyres for 1 week every 3 years. Since I have also been advised that the more off road rated tyres are likely to be less useful on icy/snowy roads that sealed it. I need good road tyres with ability to cope in all weathers. So I think the Verdes are a good compromise and have seen good reviews on here although there have been a few reported punctures.

My scorpion zeros are speed rated Y and the Verdes are W (186 vs 168 mph) so I will report it to my insurers just to be safe. I know that the Verdes are homologated to LR but not sure that is the case for the Discovery. I have 20" wheels and plan to stick with that.
One additional advantage of the Verdes is that they are better on fuel apparently. Less rolling resistance. Marginal but worthwhile. Not sure how quickly they wear. Expecting about 30k from the Scorpion zeros.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #19206971st Mar 2018 2:51 pm
Space Cadet

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks. From what I could tell, and according to Pirelli, the Scorpion Verde All-Seasons are better at most things than the Scorpion Zeros, inc snow therefore I think its going to be the best all-round tyre of the two.

Post #19207031st Mar 2018 3:09 pm
Gary_P

I think the Verdes are supposedly not quite so good in the wet.

But all this decision making about which tyres will shortly go away. I saw Blade Runner 2049 tonight and we'll be flying over the snowy roads. That's only 21 years or about 6 sets of tyres at my wear rate, and might be less if tyre technology improves !
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #19210141st Mar 2018 11:02 pm
Space Cadet

According to Pirelli the Scorpion Verde AS are better in the wet than the Scorpion Zeros and only 2, out of about 10 I think, behind the P-Zeros. So apparently they're actually pretty good in the wet(according to Pirelli obviously!).

Post #19211812nd Mar 2018 12:05 pm
Gary_P

Where you ordering from?
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #19211872nd Mar 2018 12:14 pm
2Springers

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Update

Been driving in some shocking conditions on the Verde All Seasons this past week - freezing rain, ice, snow and they never missed a beat.

Of course the D4 is an incredibly capable vehicle on most tyres but I do feel much happier in all conditions on these tyres than I ever did on the Scorpion zero or General AT.

Post #19212932nd Mar 2018 3:37 pm
Gary_P

Thanks for that 2Springers.

Can I ask how you find the Verdes for normal weather conditions dry and wet handling ?

Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #19215653rd Mar 2018 12:08 am
2Springers

Yep sure !

I have driven in the UK and a lot in southern Europe and have found they work well in all temperatures - hot and cold.

Handling and grip in the dry seems good to me - certainly have never noticed any problems. The steering is lighter than with AT tyres and probably the Scorpion Zeros I first had on the car. I'd say they handle more like a car tyre than the other tyres I have used on the D4.

I can't recall having any problems in the wet or dry - they always seem assured on the road to me and I have never had any aquaplaning.

I have seen others report punctures - I have been lucky and avoided that issue and have also not had any tyre wall problems. In fact I have clouted the sidewalls a few times on kerbs and half expected a problem but have never seen anything. Couldn't say the same of the General AT tyres which were riddled with nicks when they came off.

Fuel economy has risen a couple of mpg and the road noise is good.

A big plus for me is I don't get the thrum of the General AT when they wore down to 6mm and I don't have the tramlining in the wet of the Scorpion Zeros when they hit 4mm.

In terms of wear, the All Seasons are better than the Scorpion Zeros but obviously not as good as an AT.

Tyres are a very personal thing so I finally spoke to Dean at AJS who recommended the All Seasons to me because the compounds give good grip without the aggressive tread (and noise) of an AT tyre.

If you are primarily on road and want something that works well in most conditions I would say these tyres do the job pretty well.

Post #19217693rd Mar 2018 4:41 pm
Space Cadet

Thanks for that, all very informative and good to hear having ordered a set, should hopefully have them fitted tomorrow or next weekend.

Coincidentally I was at a LR dealer this morning and lots of cars were wearing Verde AS’.

Post #19217993rd Mar 2018 5:34 pm
2Springers

Very welcome Gary - sorry I didn't see the post last night - been trying to get the salt off the car lol.

Yes I think they are on some of the Range Rovers now so think you made a good decision.

Let us know how you get on with them Thumbs Up

Post #19218073rd Mar 2018 5:43 pm
Gary_P

Excellent info, thanks for taking time.

I am down to 5mm on my scorpion zeros so expect to be buying another set of tyres late this year. It'll be Verdes unless something better comes along.

It seems they only do W speed rating in the 255/50/R20 (current tyre size) which shouldn't be a problem. I'll look out for the tramlining. You're not the only person to mention it. Might have a few months of that to put up with, and got some long drives through the summer.

I'll have a brand new scorpion zero spare when I replace them (hopefully) so will check that's ok to keep as such. I presume the Verdes are not directional?

Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #19218143rd Mar 2018 5:53 pm
2Springers

Space cadet - thanks for the update - good luck with the new tyres Thumbs Up

Gary - no problems at all - glad to help. My Zeros only were a problem in the wet - stay away from painted lines on the road when they wear down to around 4mm !

They aren't directional and I have a brand new Scorpion Zero as my spare although luckily never had to use it.

Post #19218353rd Mar 2018 6:28 pm
cobra

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hello all,

Would just like to add my experience with the standard scorpion zeros. In the year I have had them fitted, I have driven across very muddy sites, mixed conditions from thick mud to mud slurry over tar roads, and recently across the snowy roads of Kent. This week I have driven successfully through deep snow (at least a foot thick), snow on top compacted snow and sheet ice. I even pulled a traffic management wagon out of a ditch on 3 inch snow. Up and down hills in same conditions. No loss of traction and no skids, and not always being sensible with the speed (not cool I know). I do believe I won’t bother looking for a different tyre as a result.

Thanks

Andy

Post #19218403rd Mar 2018 6:37 pm
Gary_P

Thanks Andy

May I ask how much tread you have on them and on what size wheels?

What started my querying other tyre options was my experience on snowy roads recently. It wasn't the going that was a problem, even up hills that was good, it was the stopping. I have 5mm left on my scorpion zeros and I was struggling for grip when stopping, even from very slow speeds (5-10mph). On any sort of incline it was very difficult. It was extremely disconcerting and very different to my experience of smaller 4x4s I have owned (RAV4, X-Trail). It is obviously a much heavier car but I was very surprised.
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #19218453rd Mar 2018 6:48 pm
2Springers

There are many posts about the Scorpion Zeros on this forum - 99% will describe horrific tyre wear and tramlining.

I have never disputed their grip in mud and didn't have a problem in snow.

That said I would never put them back on one of my vehicles but just goes to show it is horses for courses.

Post #19218753rd Mar 2018 7:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >