satnav maps update (2010 d4)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
thorga

United Kingdom 
satnav maps update (2010 d4)

Hi,

Anyone had their satnav maps updated?

Just had the D4 in for the third service and thought would be worth having satnav done at the same time. Unfortunately despite a day of trying they couldn't manage to get the thing updated, so it seems quite a tricky one to do.

Am I missing out on much by sticking with the original maps?
Have they changed much?

G

Post #113303617th Jul 2013 11:35 pm
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I was thinking that the MY10 dont have any update in the maps... Do you know your version to compare? And the new one?

Could it be done with faultmate? Rolling Eyes

Post #113305718th Jul 2013 2:40 am
outofyorkshire

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I looked at getting this done a couple of month ago on my MY10 and even visited my local dealer.

Here is what I found out:

There are only 2011/12 maps available...2012/13 are advertised by Land Rover for the D4 but are only available for Gen 2 systems at the mo Question Liam tells me that it is due to Navteq , but I don't understand this. If the maps are released then to me it just boils down to format in my book.....still waiting for an update from Liam via his technical bods Whistle

The update consists of downloading the maps from the dealers hard drive system via a cable, to the car Hard drive.
My dealer said they had only done a couple and had problems both times Rolling Eyes took them 6 hours in one case & three attempts to get it to work Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation They did say that they had found that they had to leave the car running while the download ran ....which takes approx 45mins.

Just to cap it all they wanted to charge me an hours labour on top of the £169 price of the maps...total price I was quoted £260 Evil or Very Mad even tho they admitted that they set the download off any just leave it for 30 mins Twisted Evil :

Net result of all the above is that I am still on my original maps ...as I refused to pay for an 'old' version and them not knowing how to upgrade the system Twisted Evil

I would suggest you check which maps they were trying to install before you hand over any money Thumbs Up

I am not surprised they changed the way it works to USB update as the MY10 system seems to be a real bag of Censored when it comes to getting it updated
 Cheers Ian
Massey Ferguson 400 FIS AGTV - Arctic Cat by any other name...
Citroen C3 Picasso for SWMBO so we can remember what fuel economy is!!
Member of the Narpy torch club 

Post #113308818th Jul 2013 8:10 am
alastaid

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Funny enough I had just enquired at my dealers about this for my MY10 D4. They said the upgrade for the maps was about £170, but there was an hours labour as well which bumped it up to nearly £300 with VAT.

I am going to check the email I got recently about the upgrade from Land Rover as it seemed to imply it was just £170. I think charging an hours labour for a guy to sit at a computer doing nothing is a bit rum.

Post #113364319th Jul 2013 1:29 pm
thorga

United Kingdom 

Given the recent experience, I can perhaps understand the reason for the hours labour being charged as it seems LR have made it a pretty difficult process to update the maps on this version of the D4. The dealer that I used didn't charge any extra for their attempts and I don't recall it being mentioned either. I think they are pretty good - so if they are having difficulties I do genuinely believe it to be a difficult process.

The issues seems to be that it's difficult to do and dealers/service don't do this very often. if you are thinking of getting it done, I'd definitely ask them if they've done it before for the same model of D4 and what their experience was. As a previous poster remarked - also check which maps as well. I naively assumed that it would be the most recent maps installed and not a 2011 version and didn't actually ask this question.

In the end, i've decided to stick with the current system as came with the car. It's all working, is generally correct and it seems there's only going to be a small benefit in upgrading - so more downside than upside.

Post #113365719th Jul 2013 2:59 pm
Crimdog81

Australia 

Hey all,
So has anyone successfully had this done? I just purchased a 2010 d4 HSE, it is a UK spec that has been imported to AUS. I want to get the maps changed over but a couple of dealers said it is not possible!!! I don't see why not, surely it's just a matter of uploading the aus maps?

Post #115042331st Aug 2013 10:28 am
alastaid

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

So I did get mine updated last month, sent an email in reply to the £170 offer email I got from LR about the latest maps saying that the email implied the upgrade was only £170, rather than the £300 odd the dealer said it would be because of the labour charges. LR agreed with the dealer to cover the labour charges as a goodwill gesture which I was happy with and hence had it done. Picked the car up later the same day and the maps were upgraded fine, I use mine all the time so felt it was worth the money.

Alastair

Post #11509031st Sep 2013 5:17 pm
outofyorkshire

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Alastair....what version of maps did they install??

There is a version number if you go through the setting screen to the map upgrade screen...

Interested to know if they are 2012 or 2013 Whistle
 Cheers Ian
Massey Ferguson 400 FIS AGTV - Arctic Cat by any other name...
Citroen C3 Picasso for SWMBO so we can remember what fuel economy is!!
Member of the Narpy torch club 

Post #11509521st Sep 2013 7:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >