Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

Sat Nav Playing Up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Hobson

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Sat Nav Playing Up

My sat nav is not working correctly - it shows the wrong location on start up. It's about 10 miles out as the crow flies. It has been OK in the past but is now showing GPS unavailable on the screen. Last couple of journeys started off OK but went very wrong after a while, been as far out as Duisberg when I'm Essex!!!!

There is one DTC set in the ACM; B119F-13 (2F) GPS Antenna - Circuit open. The manual goes on to state "This DTC may be set even though no fault condition is present..." which isn't very helpful so I'm none the wiser if this DTC is valid or not. It will not clear.

Checked the only easily accessible GPS antenna connector (in the upper tail gate). The other two require the car to be virtually dismantled to access them.

I've isolated the Dash Cam so that's not causing any problems with the GPS signal. The touch screen functions fine.

Has anyone else ever had this issue? I could just replace the antenna but I'd rather not start randomly chucking parts at the car. Is it possible that there simply is not a GPS signal available for it to be able to locate itself accurately?

I have all the official Disco 4 workshop literature but it's utterly useless in this instance. I don't think there was a great deal of effort or understanding put into the job...

Post #198565723rd Sep 2018 11:01 am
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Given your Disco is 5 years old or so (and therefore I presume with 7 year-old maps Whistle ) I'd cut your losses and get a Tomtom or Garmin stand-alone satnav. My Tomtom, with worldwide mapping auto-renewed, plus 2G data allowing traffic updates much better than TMS, cost the same as a map update from JLR Thumbs Up Rolling Eyes and it's just so much better to use Smile

Post #198574323rd Sep 2018 5:04 pm
Hobson

Don't think it's the maps that are the issue. It has worked perfectly up until recently and although the maps might be old-ish they're fine for my purposes. It's more likely a hardware issue. I don't want a stand alone sat nav in the vehicle, just want the one that's already there to work properly!!!

Post #198575223rd Sep 2018 5:23 pm
Treetrimmer

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

I had exactly the same problem. It required a new aerial to fix the fault, but to replace the aerial they had to cut out the high level brake light for access.

Post #198582123rd Sep 2018 7:50 pm
trainmanone

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

had same on my D3 just got a cheep gps antenna off the bay and put it in the sunroof area works fine lol

Post #198582823rd Sep 2018 8:00 pm
EMcC

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The new D5 I bought in April this year has just started playing silly B+++++s with the Sat Nav and telephone connection.
After a few miles the Screen goes black and stays like that for a few minutes then the LR badge comes on for a few more minutes then it goes blank again and then after a few more minutes goes back to the opening page. Then after a few more minutes starts all over again.
After having had this happen the telephone loses it's contacts and has to down load again and when I finally make contact it is so crackly I cannot hold a conversation.
My local LR dealer cannot get it in for two weeks unless I drop it off and hang around for 4 hours for a 'Phase Four Upgrade' to take place. If I am willing to wait I can take it in in one week Sad
I would have expected, for such a pricey car, to have had almost immediate attention and a courtesy car at my disposal while in the garage.
Perhaps I should have contacted LR assist.

Post #198587223rd Sep 2018 10:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hobson

trainmanone wrote:
had same on my D3 just got a cheep gps antenna off the bay and put it in the sunroof area works fine lol

This sounds like it's worth a try. Are GPS antennae "generic"?. As far as I can tell the same part is used on D3 and D4 (LR017429). Do you have a link to the one you used please? The LR part isn't exactly megabucks but I'd rather prove it out using something cheaper first.

Post #198593124th Sep 2018 8:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >