DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Sat-nav DVD unit destroying DVDs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Sat-nav DVD unit destroying DVDs

Dad's D3 has now damaged 2 sat-nav discs by wearing concentric rings into them. This seems to be a duff DVD reader pushing the lens/something into the disc. Anyone else had similar?

Of course, the player isn't covered under the LR extended warranty (what on earth is?) Thud

Post #45938027th Apr 2009 10:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Martin

Make and use copies of your Dad's OWN DVD disc!

Providing they are for his own use and not distribution it should be OK, and i would therefore hope he is using copies in the DVD player rather than the original!

LR extended warranty worried me with exclusions and cost, hence i went with Tesco Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #45938527th Apr 2009 10:38 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

Bit late now however - I need to get another original and then make the consumable copies...

Post #45939427th Apr 2009 10:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Martin Mine did this when I 1st got mine. This was LR answer, its cos I was starting to use the aircon, and moisture was building up. They said the disk is'nt covered, so I took it to the "GAME" shop, they re-surface the discs for £3.50, and its been fine since.

I know it does'nt help the problem, maybe its related to the moisture, but at least the disc is'nt screwed permantly.

Jason

Post #45939727th Apr 2009 10:56 am
SN

is it a single layer DVD? thinking I need to make an operating copy of mine now Sad
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #45940027th Apr 2009 10:58 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Dual Layer DVD and you need to do it with a specific writing cycle, not all DL writers are able to back them up. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #45940427th Apr 2009 11:01 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Martin PM sent Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #45940527th Apr 2009 11:02 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

MacLeod 313 wrote:
But at least the disc is'nt screwed permantly.

Oh it is!

Post #45942227th Apr 2009 11:17 am
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

That bad is it Exclamation

I thought that too, and the stealer said to try a disc re-surface, and mine worked Thumbs Up

With deep rutts and scratches you will be surprised Martin, give it a try, and for only £3.50. They basicically relaminate the disc and polish it and mine looked as new after

Post #45943727th Apr 2009 11:43 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Martin
The DVD unit / mech is not entirely unlike an In dash car CD player unit. I myself once used to repair in car radio cassette & CD equipment. Therefore if you can find a car radio repair place it might be worth taking it there to have it looked at, Could be something like loose screw, slipped spring etc. even some debris got in and now stuck in the wrong place.

It sounds like you have nothing to loose.

Post #45948827th Apr 2009 12:43 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

OK boys, WTF is going on here?

This is with a copied 07-08 disc. Note: Dad has a genuine 07-08 disc but the player has destroyed it, hence the copy.

Post #46036029th Apr 2009 9:42 am
NeVeTaS

Isle Of Man 

What method did you use to do the copy?

Post #46037029th Apr 2009 10:01 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

Read ISO image from a genuine disc, write ISO image to a blank dual layer DVD at 1x speed.

I'm going to try a pukka Verbatim disc next.

Post #46037229th Apr 2009 10:03 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Martin,
I think it's probably important to find out why the lens assembly is trying to dig for potatoes in the first place.

The lens assembly is very very delicate, and if it's already ploughed and killed two disks I'd say chances are the lens is no longer sitting parallel with the DVD surface (or maybe has already exited the assembly), and hence can't focus and probably won't ever again. The lens usually sits on some very fine (hair diameter) beryllium-copper springs and once these are bugled it's totally game over.

I have seen this in a PC DVD writer where one of the lens mounting springs had snapped leaving the lens at an angle. The DVD CPU didn't know it was broken, so kept doing the focus cycle and kept ramming the lens into the underside of the (luckily blank) discs.

I've seen a few D3 satnav units go for approx £100 on that auction site that must not be named recently; that's not far off the cost of the new discs you've been pushing into it so I'd suggest you might want to go down that route next if you wish to keep it cheapish.

As an aside, I too have had utterly ruined DVDs and CDs with deep gouges recovered by these re-surfacing treatments. The disc afterwards looked like someone had tried to polish it with coarse wire wool, but surprisingly it worked 100% after that.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #46038129th Apr 2009 10:25 am
cobblers

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I would agree that a new (or repaired) DVD Unit will be required, I've also seen them on ebay, but it may not be too much more to replace with a new unit. TLO may be able to answer that.

However, you are still left with a damaged original, I would suggest contacting Navteq to enquire about a replacement directly as you have already paid for the license to use the software, maps etc on disc's contents when it was fitted to the car. It could be that a replacement will be available at minimal or even no cost. You don't need the upgrade, its just new media you need.

Post #46041029th Apr 2009 12:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >