Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

SAT NAV
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
COMMANDO

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
SAT NAV

Anyone using an after market sat nav system in the Disco 3?Any problems with interference from the heated front screen?Any system recommendations?

Post #995457th Nov 2006 4:47 pm
mattlynch

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Not had any problems with my Tom Tom and the Road Angel picks up the GPS OK as well.

Matt
 Disco 3 TDV6 S (Everyday and laning!)
Series 3 Ex-military Lightweight (Toy!!!)
Smart Roadster (commuting only!) 

Post #995607th Nov 2006 5:26 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Imo Smartnav is the best, but unless things have changed recently It's U.K use only.

Post #995667th Nov 2006 5:33 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

SmartNav does do europe now. Yes, it is by far the best. I'm putting it in my D3 next to the LR sat nav, as I'm fed up of sitting in busy traffic and then the TMC telling me there is problems only after I've been sitting in it for 1/2 hour and then not giving me a route out.
Twisted Evil
 Matt  
Post #995877th Nov 2006 6:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Snap. Just wondering about fitting it & where to mount the screen etc. In my HSV, the gubbins (technical term) fitted neatly into the drivers side sill, mounted the ariel at the top of the windscreen & handly the screen was stowed away in the fuse box under the steering wheel & when I wanted to use it I had a small bracket that just slotted into a dash top vent. Brilliant.
I'm a little anxious about fitting it in the D3 as the electrics appear to me (Ludite) to be highly complex.
Any ideas d3matt?

Post #995937th Nov 2006 7:01 pm
d3matt

SmartNav fitting

A hockey puck antenna on the lower side of the windscreen, as there is a few inches of clear glass with no heating wires.
The black box inside the dash somewhere - probably behind the glove box.
The screen will be mounted on a Brodit mount 653573 or 653572. See http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/proc...roclip.asp
Not yet sure where to mount the button.
I hope to fit this all within the next week or so.
 Matt  
Post #996227th Nov 2006 8:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

Matt, I'd be very interested to see/hear how you get on. I think the gps antena will be o.k with the heated windscreen, as my road angel is fine, but the corner is probably the neatest place anyway. I've thought about a thin bracket for the screen that could slide into the gap between the edge of the dash where it meets the bottom of the A pillar. I'd prefer it there as it's easier to see in that posistion than if it were mounted on the centre console. Probably have to make a bracket up though, so the brodit mount would be easier.
The button is tricky, as it needs to be mounted somewhere where it can be removed & the hole will either be not seen or easily repaired.

Post #997238th Nov 2006 1:15 am
d3matt

When I've changed vehicles, I've left the buttons in and just ordered a new one. It's much neater to leave the button and often makes the removal of the old system much easier.
 Matt  
Post #998728th Nov 2006 3:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >