Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

My Sankey off road trailer build
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 49 of 51 <123 ... 48 495051>
mikesmif

United Kingdom 

Hey Wiggs,

Just a quick question, how thick was the metal box section on the chassis when you cut it to extend it.

Thanks

Post #98121024th Sep 2012 7:17 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

i did it for him 3mm Whistle
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #98122324th Sep 2012 7:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mikesmif

United Kingdom 

Thanks

Post #98123324th Sep 2012 7:41 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

why Question
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #98123524th Sep 2012 7:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mikesmif

United Kingdom 

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice, this is my first project of this size. I want to start a Sankey build, I have bought a Mk 3 disc braked Sankey and the chassis is solid but is starting to show signs of surface rusting. So before starting the actual build I want to get the chassis in top condition. This has presented me with several dilemmas.
1.) How to prepare the chassis? Remove all fixtures and fittings or just mask them out.
2.) How to remove surface rust and existing paint? Sandblasting, sand paper, chemical (how to get into nooks ect?)
3.) How best to paint it? Spray, brush, celulose, hammerite and waxoyl.
4.) Should I just get someone to do it for? How much?

Any advice from those that have already taken on similar projects would be greatly appreciated.

Post #98133524th Sep 2012 9:41 pm
mikesmif

United Kingdom 

Ray,

I plan to extend my chassis and wanted to order the steel before I cut the chassis.

Mike

Post #98136624th Sep 2012 10:27 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

just make sure you get the right profile it is the 2x4" but square corners not the round ones if that makes sense

Post #98141925th Sep 2012 8:23 am
kp

United Kingdom 

If it were me i'd strip it all down and then see how much it would be for someone to sandblast it and then do the zinc dip if possible, then do the painting yourself if you feel upto it or again get a spray shop to do it. A plasticoat type paint would be good to help stone chips and fill it with waxoil to help stop rusting inside out!

Kudos to another member for having a go at this, its a lot of work but if you will use it a lot then certainly worth it Smile
 FFRR Owner, very nearly became a D3 owner Smile
Test piloted a new D4 XS SDV6.. Gone and being forgotten i hope!!
D4 HSE 10MY
D4 XS 11MY
SSRR Destroyer *2 Smile 

Post #98145725th Sep 2012 10:26 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

When these were built and panted they were don right to strip it all down and sand blast is a long job to zinc dip it will be a lot of money but that is up to you i am just going to sand blast mine as i know it will be fine when repainted and out last me i do use my other one a lot and i never re painted that one and it's fine time and money that's what you need to think of

Post #98147625th Sep 2012 11:23 am
kp

United Kingdom 

Just had a look on the bay and there are ones from 50-60's on there lasting well still so they certainly do last!!

Been really tempted now after reading all 49 pages ago but to just use it as a standard tub for a while for moving stuff about and towing to offroad weekends with MORC.

Just a few questions about this amazing build Wiggs if i may Smile

Do you find the MT/R's actually help when the going gets tough as the trailer is just being dragged by the Disco?

Do you think moving to a pneumatic/hydro-pneumatic and hub suspension system would help in the running ie, having the ability to lower a Wide Body to a normal lower height for on road and then raising it up for offroad mode? Likely powered by the 12v system like any car with either of the systems?

When taking these off road would an underbody type plate for the full length be worth while or even a few overlapped sheets to make it slide across anything and also help with on road performance?

With the 2ft extension would it be large enough to sleep in? Using space in front and over the wheel arches to have as storage space so as to not waste the space and make installation of a heater and so on easier??
Yeah i know it would feel a bit like being in a metal coffin but im only thinking for the colder months as insulation would be easily installed and??

I can't believe ones with LESS than yours cost £21k!! Maybe a future job is instore for you Wiggs shipping these worldwide!

Congrats on this as its bloody amazing! Makes me wish i could weld!
D4 HSE 10MY
D4 XS 11MY
SSRR Destroyer *2 Smile 

Post #98154925th Sep 2012 3:07 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

I will let Wiggs answer the Question but this is my new one i am doing

this is 5mm ally all over got 3 ft in it and yes you can sleep in it

Post #98155425th Sep 2012 3:17 pm
kp

United Kingdom 

So you did a 3ft and not a 2ft extension on that Ray??

Looks pretty dam good Smile

I have an OCD problem with bare metal looks though(too many renault 5's over the years!) so would want to go the wiggs way though dont think i could carry off the orange or white look lol!!

How much does the extension of the sankey alone cost?

And dare i ask as i close my eyes but how much for even just a shell like that?!?
D4 HSE 10MY
D4 XS 11MY
SSRR Destroyer *2 Smile 

Post #98155725th Sep 2012 3:28 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

KP

MTRs .... More for looks than any thing else ... Just wanted same wheel / trye combo .... Can use same spare then Thumbs Up

Hydro / pneumatic...it's a trailer why make some thing overly complicated .

Underbody .... Not Needed in my view

Sleeping .... Not big enough for me ... But maybe ok if your a short Censored Laughing

These trailers are very sturdy / tow great . You could not build a chassis like this for any were near what you can pick them up for . The army have used them for years ... They even chuck them out of aeroplanes Shocked

If I had somewere to build them it would certainly be worth thinking about .
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #98170025th Sep 2012 8:55 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

Adrian Shocked i hope you are not referring to my structure i know i am short but my Censored is similar to other Whistle

Post #98170925th Sep 2012 9:04 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Rolling with laughter Bow down
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #98171025th Sep 2012 9:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 49 of 51 <123 ... 48 495051>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >