Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Run it in or Thrash it in??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Has been said before but be sure to warm the engine up.
This is not when the temp gauge is up to 90 deg but when the warmth is evenly spread through the engine. My margin used to be 25 km but that's on the (very) safe side.
When warm, within limits hard work will not damage a diesel engine.
But that's 'within limits'. I would say most people on here respect their motor too much to be able to really thrash an engine.

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #5174758th Sep 2009 6:12 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I think a mixture of both light and hard work when the engine is warm is the best option.

In a earlier post it was asked if the dealers can tell how hard its been driven diagnostically.
The answer to that is no, and as also said there are electrical limiters built in to prevent problems of over speeding the engine.

EG If the car was designed to be driven at 2500rpm for the first 2000 miles and it was strictly important this was done then that would have been implemented in the engine management system or instrument cluster to make it happen.

My m8 does actually work in a engine development centre on engine dyno's all day, they build engines brand new and put them on the dyno for full power tests, durability tests , cold weather tests etc etc and don't worry about running them in.
Most are stripped afterwards and no faults found what so ever, the monkey work and fixes and engine development needed to prevent premature failure is done long before the engine goes into production for our new cars. We have nothing to worry about.

I agree there will always be still problems that people find out, that is mass production for you.
But on paper the work is done the engine is built and ready to drive however you wish as long as maintanied proplery.

I will hypothetically be picking my car up in a few weeks, and ill have the new year at home then back to work hypothetically in January and straight on the Dyno for a hypothetical power run Whistle

Of course hypothetically i will always warm and cool the car properly using its gears as they should be used etc.

We will soon see if they make the projected 245ps and 600nm lol.

pete

Post #55228516th Nov 2009 10:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >