Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

More RSE issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gabbo

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
More RSE issues

Viewing from a portable device - According to the manual (yes I read it) you can link an ipad via Bluetooth and play films on the RSE. I tried to do this a few times and it would pair and then disconnect giving an error message on the infotainment.

USB - I created one and tried it both the front and rear ports and each time it said it was corrupted, it isn't as I can watch it on other devices. Is it because they are mp4 files from an ipad?
     D4 Fuji White HSE with Black Pack, TV, RSE, Tow Pack, Side Steps & Heated Steering Wheel  
    Post #114634421st Aug 2013 10:33 am
    View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
    jamieg7762

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

As far as I am aware, the files need to be in FAT or FAT32 format
     d4 HSE in Corris Grey with Black options pack
    D3 with the following
    Alive Tuning EGR blanking kit
    Alive Tuning Re-map
    Alive Atrics console
    Samco intercooler hoses (from Alive Tuning)
    Alive Tuning De-Cat pipe, lovely tone!
    Retrofit OEM Hybrid TV tuner 

Post #114634621st Aug 2013 10:40 am
    Gabbo

old topic resurrection but only just getting around to doing this with all the seasonal trips coming thought it would be prudent......

How do I format the USB to FAT or FAT32 or is it a case of saving the files to these formats?
     D4 Fuji White HSE with Black Pack, TV, RSE, Tow Pack, Side Steps & Heated Steering Wheel  
    Post #11998749th Dec 2013 4:41 pm
    hoobily

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I spent a long time working this one out as the manual is not helpful. If you use a Mac then you need to get a programme to clean the USB of Mac detritus which the system has trouble reading and will throw up error messages. The USB stick should already be formatted in the correct format i.e. FAT or FAT32. You then need the right file types which I think have to be Avi or DIVx but only up to 'Hometheatre' standard (from the DIVX converter). You can then only play the USB on the rear screens from the USB port in the back.

Post #11998819th Dec 2013 4:54 pm
    DG
    Site Moderator 

Wales 

You can use something like this to format a USB storage device for FAT32 Smile

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

If you are planning to watch DVD's etc then make sure the file is less than 4gb ..this may mean saving the dvd to a slightly lower resolution Smile
     21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
    Post #11998849th Dec 2013 4:59 pm
    Gabbo

cheers all Bow down
    Post #11998859th Dec 2013 5:00 pm
    Gabbo

can anyone recommend a MPEG4 to AVI or DivX converter please?
    Post #12109923rd Jan 2014 11:33 am
    Gabbo

found one......see if it works later.......
    Post #12110453rd Jan 2014 1:10 pm
    Gabbo

Files in .avi and USB in FAT32 format and still wont play the films. It wont stay connected to an ipad either to play from that so its booked in this Friday
    Post #12132067th Jan 2014 10:12 am
    hoobily

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Do you think the dealers will know any better?

I think the picture could only be 720 lines across as it wouldn't work when I tried 1080. I also found one line about registering the divx player in the handbook which requires you to download something from divx and then play it on a USB in the car. I did that although I have no idea what it did. Also are you using a mac as I use a programme called called blue harvest (no affiliation) which cleans the USB stick of all the extra files.

I would be interested I hearing own your success in playing from an ipad. I though the only way to do that was to use the aux inputs in the rear

Post #12135147th Jan 2014 7:54 pm
    rsk21

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

You categorically cannot play video from an ipod/ipad wirelessly over bluetooth to the rse.

The only way to play from such a device is by connecting to the av inputs of the rse using an av out cable from the idevice. This can only be done with an idevice with the older 30pin style connectors and not the newer Lightning connector.
     FFRR Vogue SE - Waitomo

D4 XXV - Causeway

D4 HSE 255 - Sumatra

D4 HSE 245 - Stornoway

D3 S - Java 

Post #12138098th Jan 2014 12:03 am
    chud

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Use a program called Handbrake if you ever need to convert files to another format.

Post #12138278th Jan 2014 12:19 am
    Gabbo

just back from stratstones they said .avi files didn't work, when I explained I had been on here, they went to check again and found they do work on the front USB so......... anyway 'master tech' is on a course next week regarding RSE and entertainment systems so he is going to bring up the problem. Will know more either weds or thurs next week
    Post #121520110th Jan 2014 5:03 pm
    Dudleydisco

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I've had a couple of weeks talking to Land Rover Customer Experience about this, and done a bit of experimenting myself.

The picture size can be from 32x32 pixels up to 720x576. 720x576 is the PAL standard definition size used on terrestrial TV transmissions and standard DVD,s.

Although it says MP4 files in the manual, what it means is that it will play files that are in an MP4 container format - not files that have a .mp4 file extension. Files need to end in either .avi , .xvid or .divx.

I managed to get some .avi files to play on the front screen, but they wouldn't play on the rears.

I've had most success using .divx. If you don't want to use DIVX VOD files, ( which you have to pay for), then you don't need to bother about registering the player.

DIVX is an old video compression format, so the latest version of Handbrake doesn't support it. The most reliable encoder I've found so far is DIVX converter, which is the freeware codec available from the DIVX website. If you want to rip DVDs onto a USB stick, the I use DVD Decrypter (freeware) to rip the DVD onto my PC hard drive, and then use DIVX converter to encode the .vob files to DIVX. These .vob files are MPEG2, so you will need to purchase the DIVX MPEG plugin from DIVX, which is about £7, although you do get a 15 day free trial period.

As someone else has said here, use the Home Theater preset in DIVX Converter, and then you can choose whether to do a 1 or 2 pass encode. I've found the results of the 1 pass encode acceptable in the car and the encode is quite quick.

You can only play USB on the front screen using the front USB port, but as soon as you move, the picture blanks. If you want to view on the rear screens, then you must use the rear port. You'd normally have to listen on headphones in the rear, but if the driver selects Limo Mode in the Rear Screen Setup, then the audio from the rear USB port can be played on the speakers by using the rear remote control and taking control of Cabin Audio.

iPods with a multipin connector. If you want audio only, then use the USB cable and select iPod from the remote. This gives you full functionality. If you want video, then you need to use the 3mm jack with an AV cable, plug it into the AUX sockets and select AUX Video. This is for analogue composite video only.

For iPads with a lightening connector, it won't work. The lightening connector outputs digital video as HDMI. You'd need to convert from 1920x1080 HDMI to 720x576 analogue composite to be able to plug it into the AUX sockets. It would be a lot cheaper to just get an iPad bracket Wink

I'll try and add to this if I find out any more Wink
     D4 MY14 XXV - RLD/IID BT
    D4 MY13 HSE Lux - RLD/IID BT
    P38 RR - Sad parting
    110 - Even sadder parting
    S3 88" - Still going strong after 23 years of ownership Smile

Post #130289025th Jun 2014 3:05 pm
    Post Reply Back to top
    Page 1 of 1
    Jump to:  
    Previous Topic | Next Topic >