Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

RR Vogue TDV8?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
d3syd

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
RR Vogue TDV8?

Any on driven a RR TDV8? Love my D3, but seriously tempted to trade up to one. Love the opulence and now with the new V8 diesel.......
 '06 TDV6 SE AUTO BUCKINGHAM BLUE
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL
'08 BMW 135i Coupe Twin Turbo 

Post #13358627th Feb 2007 5:38 am
MJC73

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Havent driven one but sat in one on the weekend when I picked up my new D3, the new interior is pretty spectacular (probably the best this side of an Aston), to be honest though I still prefer the exterior of the Disco, I think the Rangie is looking just a bit tired now (even with the flash chrome vents etc). Would love a D3 with a Rangie interior - I would have ponied up the cash for a HSE rather than my SE if LR could put that together.

Post #13358827th Feb 2007 6:45 am
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have. Took one out on a Land Rover Experience day and did a combined off-road and on-road test. It was smooth Laughing and that's from a V8 Petrol D3 owner. Dont get me wrong, it is still an oil burner and the sound track, although well hidden behind the RR soundproofing, is still a bit truck like. Still the advantages are enormous - not far from V8 petrol performance, greater torque and 24 mpg (on my combined day).

Agree with MJC, the RR is looking dated although the new engine will win it some more years and the interior is a very nice place to be.

Although I do understand (a bit) Land Rover's logic of brand differentiation by depriving the D3 of the TDV8 (for now) it is a bit silly. The D3 so needs it and I'd happily dump my V8. Putting the RR and the D3 side-by-side for my needs, I'd keep the D3. It is just so much more practical and you get's to save ££££ $$$$$.

Fantasy Garage? I'd have one of each and split them with the Aston....(and the Veyron.... and the....) Mr. Green
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #13359127th Feb 2007 7:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d3syd

Yes agree the RR is looking a bit dated. The RRS actaully looks a lot more contemporary, but it just has a D3 interior and two thirds the cache. New RR is not due till 2010 or there abouts, so it still has some life in it for now.

Now as for fantasy garages, ther are fantasy garages and FANTASY garages. The Veyron falls into the latter (together with beasts like the RR Phantom, Ferrari Enzo and Maybach). For me I'd settle for a RR TDV8, a Porsche 997 Turbo and perhaps a Bentley Flying Spur..... now I'm dreaming..... Rolling Eyes
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL

Post #13359527th Feb 2007 7:59 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I've driven a FFRR Vouge SE TDV8 ....overall stunning performance and sheer quality of build knocked me out. Handled as well as the D3...the engine however is slightly noisier than the TDV6 in the cabin...you wouldn't mind this so much if it sounded like a V8 ..but you only get a slight impression of that when listening on the outside.

Would I have one Rolling Eyes

...........Oh go on then ...............twisted me arm Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #13360727th Feb 2007 9:36 am
Pelyma

England 

I've had 2 goes in one on and off road and I would sell my D3 without a 2nd thought. The car is not as practical as the D3 but that was the only down side I could see apart from price.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #13361227th Feb 2007 10:02 am
davo

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

In Aust. the TDV8 has only just arrived
Last week a workmate of mine who works at a LR dealership (I work with him in another area of 4wd buisness) drove the new TDV8 RR alongside the rest of the RR range. It was a half day familization drive out to West Head through the Kuringai National Park on the northern beachs of Sydney hinterland. He commented that the TDV8 ran side by side with the Supercharged V8 and gave nothing away. Though returned half the fuel economy.
My turn will come when he gets a demo a little later in the year and we can take it up to the Blue Mountains on a drive day.
There was not much comment on any intrusive engine noise, I think they were having too much fun.

Post #13361727th Feb 2007 10:43 am
d3syd

I am surprised that the TDV8 was louder than the TDV6. I want to go for a test drive and feel what 640Nm feels like but my local dealer has none in stock (none that I could see on display anyway). I fear that after the test drive I might start asking about what sort of changeover I'd be looking at for my D3 Whistle

Wife alternates between "Do it" and "You shouldn't be frivolous - you have a perfectly good car already" depending on her mood. If I was to do it, might need to just order one and weather her wrath..... Shocked

Davo, great road to West Head for test driving, know it well. Lived in Terrey Hills for many years an always went there to give cars a fang.
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL

Post #13362127th Feb 2007 10:59 am
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Pelyma wrote:
I've had 2 goes in one on and off road and I would sell my D3 without a 2nd thought. The car is not as practical as the D3 but that was the only down side I could see apart from price.

So practicality and price - both perfectly valid reasons, but it's a brilliant engine. Pelyma, how did you feel it handled? Mine was a tad nervous through the lanes and body roll more obvious. I was throwing it about a bit but felt the D3 had the edge for me; could have been my lack of familiarity with its character though. I also felt the breaks were poor in comparison to the D3, but again that could have been due to the abuse they get at the LRE centre and the instructor hinted at this.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #13362227th Feb 2007 11:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

I can vouch the brembos were A1 as I had a full on emergency stop to do! I can't say I found it twitchy either, it struck me as a big wafter, like when I first got the D3. I don't think it is a drivers car but it went well enough for me to start scheming Wink

Post #13368827th Feb 2007 3:08 pm
Joe_RP

Germany 

The reason to offer the D3 in Europe with only 2 engines options is ...?

Not to sell too much?
Not to offer a too wide price range?
Not to confuse the customers?

DC offers
GL: 2 different Diesels and 2 Petrols
M: 3 Diesels and 3 Petrols

Post #13380027th Feb 2007 8:38 pm
davo

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Remember,

It is easier to seek forgiveness than to seek permission...

Post #13381327th Feb 2007 9:11 pm
tempestv8

Australia 

You bunch are hard to please.... Twisted Evil

The LM Range Rover has only be around for a few years and you guys are complaining that its looking dated already?

Try the original Range Rover classic which remain in its basic shape for nearly 2 decades!

The P38A Range Rover was a bit of a yawner in the looks department - I call it "underwhelming".

The current Rangie is still awesome looking. Bow down

Maybe I'm not so fussy. 8)

Post #13391228th Feb 2007 2:14 am
Pelyma

England 

I think it still looks awesome inside and out.

Post #13393428th Feb 2007 9:10 am
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

the current RR always looks a bit 'unfinished' to me, or maybe it's supposed to look a bit vessel-like ?
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #13394928th Feb 2007 10:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >