DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

The Royal Wedding
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Not sure I've not answered Confused

Seems it's the net profit rather than income. It's not only the crown estate that evolved from lands acquired by conquest or by just taking it though is it ...and ultimately who owns it and who has free and fair access to it all?

Post #194691120th May 2018 10:28 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

didn’t release that E type jag was electric , yeh i know i’m slow Whistle

http://driving.ca/jaguar/auto-news/news/yo...or-a-price

Post #194691220th May 2018 10:59 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

DG wrote:

Seems it's the net profit rather than income. It's not only the crown estate that evolved from lands acquired by conquest or by just taking it though is it ...and ultimately who owns it and who has free and fair access to it all?

Look back at the questions in my posts on page 6.

It was income from the Crown Lands that George III surrendered to Parliament, but yes the Crown Estate, as it's been known since 1961, now pays the net revenue profit to The Treasury, some £2.6bn over the past 10 years (up to 206/17).

You'll struggle to find many countries where in the past lands weren't not taken by right of conquest.

Free and fair access? All welcome to picnic and party in the grounds of "The Gaff" I assume? Maybe next weekend Smile
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #194704121st May 2018 4:15 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

LT wrote:

You'll struggle to find many countries where in the past lands weren't not taken by right of conquest.

By conquest ...or just taken. Whistle ...isn't it called 'ill gotten gains' Wink

You referred to equality and in the context of my general view of equality I replied "All I seek is equal opportunity ..some will choose to take it ...others won't" I didn't say that the royals denied others of it... you did ...but I guess of course that if the layman wanted to be royal or hold a hereditary title he couldn't ...he is denied of it....so in a way there's your answer. Ner Ner

The gaff is bought and paid for btw...not taken, nor acquired Wink

Any other questions that I've missed? Confused

Post #194705021st May 2018 5:06 pm
Pelyma

England 

LT wrote:
DG wrote:

Look back at the questions in my posts on page 6.

It was income from the Crown Lands that George III surrendered to Parliament, but yes the Crown Estate, as it's been known since 1961, now pays the net revenue profit to The Treasury, some £2.6bn over the past 10 years (up to 206/17).

Free and fair access? All welcome to picnic and party in the grounds of "The Gaff" I assume? Maybe next weekend Smile

Australia, Canada, USA, much of South America, much of Africa all stole land from the indigenous people so I guess you’re right, these are on the whole countries that are regarded more as mertocracies, albeit for many still retaining our monarchy so perhaps stealing property is far more common.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #194705721st May 2018 5:43 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:

Of course, all land in this country is effectively "stolen" and "ill gotten". It was taken by Bill the b Censored d in 1066. He took it all in his name and then gave bits out to his mates. Those that lived on it before then lost the lot. Since then, there has been a gradual trickle down of that land to the population in general. But it's all "stolen" land to start with.

One might also point out that people benefitting from huge increases in house prices over the last 20+ years have "stolen" from those yet to come. Many are unable to now afford to own their own property as a result. A generation has got fat and enjoyed a lavish retirement at the expense of those following on. That's worse than a few Royals spending a couple of bob on a shindig, in my opinion.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #194708221st May 2018 7:33 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Yep we could argue that but then any subsequent reform benefited the crown first and foremost ...and unlike you, me or most ..they haven't had to buy any land.

Ultimately, my view remains to keep them for entertainment and revenue value ...but make them self sufficient ...and return all excess land for the enjoyment of all Thumbs Up

Post #194711921st May 2018 9:22 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Define "excess" in the land bit.

Would you make the "excess land" in to public parks? What about the arable land etc? Who should farm that?

Anyway, they inherited the land in just the same way as people inherit houses from their parents in the rest of the country. Perhaps we should impose a limit on what people can inherit? Perhaps we should say that massive value gains are unfair and prevent "equal opportunity" in the property market? You paid £X for The Gaff but I bet it's worth a multiple of X now. Is that "fair"? Does that remove "equal opportunity" from others who can't afford to buy similar properties because of price inflation? Let's trim off that "excess value" and make it available to everyone... Thumbs Up
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #194713121st May 2018 10:31 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Well excess could be defined by us ...and run by government for whatever reason is seen fit. I wouldn't want to see them homeless ....like some in Windsor Whistle

As for inherited property ...you miss the point that Royal and hereditary class has inherited the estates from zero acquisition cost. Equal opportunity in a market driven property system now is unfortunate ...but we can identify the point cause of this if we wind back 34 years Whistle

Post #194713521st May 2018 10:51 pm
Pelyma

England 

But only zero acquisition cost because they’ve not needed to move, if we all lived in our parents house’s we’d have zero acquisition costs, don’t forget many of these that do move down the generations are owned by the National Trust or other charity so are IHT exempt. Still not sure what ”access” you want though? Is it to look around, live there, walk over the land etc?
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #194715022nd May 2018 5:14 am
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The queen only has two private estates Balmoral and Sandrigham, both purchased, the former by Prince Albert and the later by Victoria for the then prince of Wales, Edward the VII. Everything else she has benefit of Is Crown property.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #194715322nd May 2018 5:33 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

To get a more balanced view of the monarchy’s assets - http://fortune.com/2016/04/21/tqueen-eliza...net-worth/

Anyway, it detracts from the moralistic argument to reform or abolish the monarchy. Clearly, the die hard Royalists aren’t going to agree although id hazard a guess that they are now be in a minority. Change will come with time, like it or not.

Post #194716022nd May 2018 5:58 am
Mogwyth

2017 opinion polls had roughly 2/3 In favour of keeping the Monarchy, not seen anything more recent.

Also remember reading somewhere that of the major economic countries per head of population we had one of the cheaper and more respected heads of state.
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #194716422nd May 2018 6:23 am
Mogwyth

Ps i an not a royalist, i just look at other countris and wonder at times if an elected president is really any better and often the answer is no.
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #194716522nd May 2018 6:25 am
professorpool

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

DG wrote:

By conquest ...or just taken. Whistle ...isn't it called 'ill gotten gains' Wink

Don't visit the British Museum then - it's basically all stuff we have robbed and pillaged over the years. Thumbs Up
 D3 07 SE - still going strong
D3 07 HSE - gone to car heaven
FL1 - gone to Romania
D3 05 HSE - gone to a divorce diet
D1 V8 manual - gone but not forgotten
RR Classic - gone to car heaven

Jeeps, Lexus, X-trails... Too many to name.. 

Post #194717922nd May 2018 7:54 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >