DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Rotary coupler keeps failing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Chris1969

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3
Rotary coupler keeps failing

Hi folks,

Since ive had my Disco 3, I think I've replaced my clock spring probably 4 times now.

A couple of them have been new and a couple have been used.

Just wondered if anyone else seems to have an ongoing problem or if anyone is aware of any ongoing issues or what may be happening?

I've changed them myself each time following previous advice and videos etc, so dont known if I'm getting something fundamentally wrong or what may be happening.

I know there was a technical note a while ago about some sort of space / padding for a known fault, which unknown has been applied to my D3, but I'm not aware of anything else.

Thanks all 👍🏻

Chris.
 .. still learning Surprised)

Isofix car seat, Isofix baby seat base, crushed carpet crisps, sticky leather seats (next to Isofix car seat), upgraded front rubber cup holder things, wired up USB charge and audio for my iphone, side steps, de-tango'd lights, H7 OSRAM Nighbreakers, LED side lights, LED reverse lights, clear repeaters, Narpy Grill... tools I don't know how to use.... yet.. 

Post #214742520th May 2020 7:40 am
KostasA

Greece 

mine is like that also. every almost 2 years i get failure of speed control and airbag. then i replace the clock spring and all is normal.
don't know why exactly.

Post #214742620th May 2020 7:48 am
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Are you using genuine?

I think the aftermarket ones fail.

Once off the car they shouldn’t be turned and should be put back in the same position I believe.

Steve
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #214744020th May 2020 8:46 am
Chris1969

I've had genuine new, I've had aftermarket new twice and I've had 2 used ones, but genuine... so actually 5 altogether haha.

The new genuine one that was fitted when I bought it, was done by Land Rover and it lasted just over whatever the warranty was... so they said they couldn't replace it, would need a new one.

I know things dont last forever, but I just seem to get through so many of them!! 😂

Isofix car seat, Isofix baby seat base, crushed carpet crisps, sticky leather seats (next to Isofix car seat), upgraded front rubber cup holder things, wired up USB charge and audio for my iphone, side steps, de-tango'd lights, H7 OSRAM Nighbreakers, LED side lights, LED reverse lights, clear repeaters, Narpy Grill... tools I don't know how to use.... yet.. 

Post #214747720th May 2020 10:45 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

they have a ribbon of wire.

When fitted with the road wheel pointing straight ahead, there is only a certain about of ribbon to goto full lock. It's very important to note this when fitted used items.

and when fitting new items also ensure road wheels point ahead

Post #214751120th May 2020 12:52 pm
Chris1969

Absolutely Pete 👍🏻. Ribbon will destroy its self pretty quickly otherwise... nearly did that the first time I fitted one haha...

I always check the ribbon is centred, along with the wheels and steering... and I'm very particular and careful, that's why this issue is so frustrating...

Post #214755720th May 2020 3:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >