Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Roofbar mounted lightbar spot lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Harvoy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Roofbar mounted lightbar spot lights

I hope this is not against forum rules, but I wanted to let you know about a development with regards to roof mounted lights. I have no formal link to this supplier at all, I am just letting any interested parties know about a project and hopefully people can benefit from the resulting product.

I have been looking into a less expensive source for those amazing LED spot lights to hang under my roof bars and have been in touch with the guy who made my smart - read discrete - amber lightbar for repsonse work. The guy is called Jonny and he is having a look at making an LED spot light to hang off my roof bars. He is intending to make a set that can more or less compete with those well known US lights and, (hopefully), cost a lot less :thumbright: . He has a working set of LED's and is working on the optics. He also has a bespoke case design that will incoprorate fittings for mounting on roof bars, etc.

The intention is to develop a set of LED spots that can be really discrete and not look out of place on the smart D3. There would be no point in making some lights that cannot compete with more established designs and so these should at least be upto the output of high spec HID's, if not comparable to the LED off road lights currently available. The advantages of LED's are the small dimensions and the ultra low current drain. This means that they can be run from much lighter cabling that can be hidden away more discretely, and even make it possible for them to be easily de-mountable for when the D3 is doing limo work, or SWMBO is moaning that it is looking too "over lander" when going to the shops, lol. I am not sure if he is intending to make a single long strip or a shorter version to enable flexible mounting positions. Given the hugh light output, I can imagine that getting the correct mounting postion is going ot be critical; you will need to make sure that there is no bodywork in the wrong position to reflect light back towards the driver; thus mounting these on the roof seems to be ideal.

There may be options to control the lightbar via a programable controller, so it might be possible to have the output switched, (high/low), or even a funky flashing pattern. If anyone is interested in something like these and has some input, feel free to let me know and I will either put you in touch or communicate directly with Jonny if more appropriate?
 56 plate Zermatt Silve  
Post #73276816th Dec 2010 10:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jkp

Scotland 

Sounds good. Will keep an eye on this thread.

Do you have pics of the kit you have already fitted ?

Post #73277116th Dec 2010 10:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Harvoy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I will get one sorted. The amber lightbar is really smart and discrete, and colour matched to my D3 too Thumbs Up .

Edit: pic in my gallery
Click image to enlarge
 56 plate Zermatt Silve  
Post #73278016th Dec 2010 10:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >