Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Roof Spots....2 - 4 - 6 ....??? decided... 4 x Hella 550....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Pelyma

England 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #39149222nd Dec 2008 4:24 pm
disco_doozle

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Question for the Techi's inhere...

Cause if I would do it....I would go with the 4 spots on one cable....

But is this better??? Is this the right way to do???
(is there a very easy way to get from under the bonnet into the cabin with a cable...???)

Looking at this pic.....indeed with a 3-way switch, it would be the best option no?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 Disco 3 TDV6 Aut. 7 seat, Zambezi silver, Privacy glass, Rosen A9 DVD, Tow-kit, K&N airfilter, Frontrunner Windcheetah + 4xHella Comet 550, tailgate ladder, 5 breaklights Smile, Performance BB6 17" + Duratracs 256/70R17, RLD Skid-plate, Traxide second battery setup, Lightguards, BAS EGR's blank kit, BAS Silicone hose, Black bonnet decal,  
Post #39153122nd Dec 2008 6:21 pm
Ken

DiscoStu wrote:
[

Oi! That's my car Evil or Very Mad

If you want to show off, post pics of yours - oh yeah, we wouldn't be interested Whistle Wink

Oi only promoting TFC's handiwork so wind your neck in Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up Wink

Post #39153522nd Dec 2008 6:31 pm
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Thats how mine are wired, gives you all the options... Cables easily run into the cabin through the grommit where the clutch cable would go on the manual models. On the UK spec it's in the spare battery compartment.

There have been many options on here as to where the switches can go... On the dash, down by the cig lighter plug, or up by the sunroof switch. I put two switches next to the LR switch for the A bar lights as this is a cheap and simple panel to replace when selling the car.. One does with high beam and the other full on. They fit even easier here if you don't have the LR switch! The choice is yours...

Click image to enlarge
 Off Roading is OK.... But I'd rather be Boating!  
Post #39157122nd Dec 2008 7:55 pm
disco_doozle

Thumbs Up
Good idea....

perhaps if it's as easy as you say to get under the bonnet I will be tempted to put a on/off/on switch....so I can turn them on without the Mainbeam, If I want to use them with the mainbeam, just switch....if you don't want anything--> off.

How do you get to that little panel where your Laro switch is.....easy?

Thanks for the tip about the grommit where the clutch cable would Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Thx
 Disco 3 TDV6 Aut. 7 seat, Zambezi silver, Privacy glass, Rosen A9 DVD, Tow-kit, K&N airfilter, Frontrunner Windcheetah + 4xHella Comet 550, tailgate ladder, 5 breaklights Smile, Performance BB6 17" + Duratracs 256/70R17, RLD Skid-plate, Traxide second battery setup, Lightguards, BAS EGR's blank kit, BAS Silicone hose, Black bonnet decal,  
Post #39160122nd Dec 2008 8:36 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

disco_doozle wrote:

Hi Disco_doozle, just some suggestions.

If you can get your hands on them, try using a New Era dual relay, this will save a lot of space and work, because they have the fuses built-in.

Next, if you are planning to run 100w or 130w globes, because of the long run and high current required, you are going to need to either run 4mm2, positive and negative, from the relay to each driving light or you will need to run 8B&S or 8mm2, positive and negative, from the relay to each set of two driving lights.

There is an advantage to using 8B&S as it means less cable work and 8B&S is the largest cable size you can use yellow crimp terminals on.

Here is some info on the New Era relays.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #39184123rd Dec 2008 6:58 am
disco_doozle

@ Drivesafe

Thx for the loads of info Thumbs Up

Just....I Love those dual relay things.....where to be bought???
And what do you mean bij 8B&S.....?

Thx mate
Doozle
Post #39186723rd Dec 2008 9:28 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi disco_doozle, someone over your neck of the world should be able to give you some info on where to get the relay.

8B&S cable is the same as 8 Gauge and is very close to 8mm2 cable.

Cheers
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #39187523rd Dec 2008 9:58 am
disco_doozle

Big Cry the only thin I can find is....

New Era
Twin Headlamps
57-70012
12 Volt 30 Amp

Being sold or distributed by an Aussie-company called Ashdown...

No distribution to be found closer to home Crying or Very sad

I've contacted them to see if they are willing to ship overseas...fingers crossed
Post #39188023rd Dec 2008 10:09 am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Can I ask how people run the cables out to the lights, are you all super-brave and drilled the roof?! Shocked

(or do you all have an RAI)

By the way, good sources of supplies for things like this are http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu and www.polevolt.co.uk

Post #39196323rd Dec 2008 1:07 pm
disco_doozle

TallPaul wrote:
Can I ask how people run the cables out to the lights, are you all super-brave and drilled the roof?! Shocked

Euuhh....NOPE....

And I don't have the RAI neither (not yet Mr. Green )

I was planning to drop the wires underneath the roofsill and from there behind the black A-pillar straight under the bonnet....
Sounds easy no.... Whistle

Hope it will go as slick like I explain it.... Exclamation
Post #39197923rd Dec 2008 1:43 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

TallPaul wrote:

(or do you all have an RAI)

By the way, good sources of supplies for things like this are http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu and www.polevolt.co.uk

Either via the rear door down the door seal and pop it in through the rubber grommit that seals the rear light harness where it enters the cabin.Just remove the rear lens and it'll be self evident.

or

via down the front support leg of the LR Expo rack , then small hole in the roof rail trim , snip out a channel in the white plastic clips that attach the rail trim to the body , tuck under the corner of the windscreen , then down to the engine bay under the external A pilar black trim.Invest in a packet of clips ( few pence) that hold the external pillar trim as they're fragile and may break as you remove it.

I did it the using the latter but the former is probably the neatest way.I didn't need put a switch in the cabin as I opted to use a remote instead.

Post #39201323rd Dec 2008 3:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco_doozle

Are there somewhere pics of an A-pillar black trim removed.....?

If you know i advance where the clips are they are less likely to break since you know where to fiddle...
Post #39203823rd Dec 2008 4:06 pm
disco_doozle

UP....

Anyone a A-pilar removed and took pics...???
Post #39260424th Dec 2008 12:33 pm
disco_doozle

IT'S FINAL :)

After some hesitations and looking around to other examples I finaly decided to take the 2 - 2 rectangular setup.

Before
Click image to enlarge

After and final result
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #40985127th Jan 2009 9:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >