Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Roof rails
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
CHRISS

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Fitted mine a couple of months ago. Only problem I had was I bent the first rubber strip as I took it off. Managed to straighten it up ok to cut it down and refit. Did'nt make that mistake on second one. All the plastic plugs came out ok. It is probably the luck of the draw.

Post #60138211th Feb 2010 10:59 am
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yes, the instructions tell you just to lift up the front of the track cover which as you know is aluminium and pull it it up, it also does not tell you about those gromits, it only shows nuts under the cover. So if anyone is going to do this DO NOT just pull up the track cover because 8" or so from the front which is half way to the ridge of the roof top there is a gromit and if fixed as firmly as mine will just bend back your aluminium track cover, REMOVE ALL GROMITS FIRST.

As there was nothing in the instructions to tell me what these black flat plastic discs were (I didn't know they had a long core going into a nut or what to expect) I had to call the dealer who then told me what they were, I was not told that in some case you can't get them out and the top will break off, you can see in the first of my last pictures how when I was prising it the centre core is still sold as the edges of the disc are being forced up. I did think about heating them but then that just softens the top so I was in a no win situation Sad

What is confusing is that in the pack you are given plastic caps, about the same size as the top of the plastic gromits, but as you know these are to cover the screws that go on the car through the track.

Post #60138411th Feb 2010 11:07 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The black caps are easy to remove - just stick a small 3-4mm flat bladed screwdriver on top and lightly hammer it into the plastic - then just unscrew them or lever them out....
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #60139011th Feb 2010 11:10 am
Discotres

Tried that but mine are stuck solid, look at the pressure marks on the flat cap it just would not lift or screw out, so the tops ripped off leavint the core/stubs in the nuts. Maybe some do come out, but just in case, my experience is a lesson to prepare anyone else that may come across difficult ones, and what to expect Wink

Post #60139111th Feb 2010 11:14 am
Alicatt

Belgium 

try an opposite handed drill bit or extraction tap. I've used these to remove broken off bolts inside captive nuts etc.

Post #60150611th Feb 2010 1:24 pm
2DISCO3ORNOT

Discotres it sounds like you were suffering from "frozen plastic syndrome" stuff gets so brittle in the cold you cant work it, pour some v hot water over them and watch them pop out. Thumbs Up

Post #60152111th Feb 2010 1:50 pm
kerb climber

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I did mine a few months back and the silver rails look the dogs on Rimini Red. Only problem I had was one of the Torx bolts was seized and I had to drill the head off, bricking it all the while with visions of a snapped drill bit and a smashed panoramic roof. BTW if anybody wants the black ones they can have them, only problem is all but one of the end caps have been donated to other members in distress (amazing how many times people are stuck for these "unavailable as a spare" end caps) and not all the bolts are there. Very Happy Rimini Red

Post #60164311th Feb 2010 6:21 pm
mattyla

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

I too fitted silver roof rails to mine (bought from TLO). As my car is black thought the bright finish would help to lift it (which it has done along with the stainless steel centre vane on the grille and I am currently wainting on sidesteps from Slimer to finish the job nicely)

I found the easiest way to remove the plastic clips from the roof rail was by using sidecutters (remembering not to squeeze handles together too hard so as to cut head right off the clip!!) you can get under the head of the clip easier with them and then pull straight upwards too release.

If doing again I would order a couple of spare clips as the original ones do sustain damage in the removal but I made do by picking the best two out of the six originals

Post #60171311th Feb 2010 8:17 pm
Discotres

Great advice but a bit fffing late, at least this thread may save others the aggro! Rolling Eyes

Post #60178611th Feb 2010 9:43 pm
K2mut

United Kingdom 

I was hoping they were the full front to back ones,As in the last accessories brochure bling bling Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Exclamation

Still look good though,and obviosly functional Thumbs Up

Ian

k2mut

Post #60187711th Feb 2010 11:52 pm
Discotres

I know that there is a set of front to back in stock going cheap at a Dealer, Beadles in Sidcup, Kent, ask for Dave the parts manager for a deal. or see if TLO can do something for you.

Post #60188712th Feb 2010 12:15 am
K2mut

United Kingdom 

Cheers mate Thumbs Up

Ian

Post #60188912th Feb 2010 12:17 am
K2mut

United Kingdom 

Discotres
Dave at Beadles wanted £284 for them Sad Sad Abit hefty compared to £105 you paid

Will call nick at Yeovil ,see what he comes up with.

Ian

K2mut

Post #60237012th Feb 2010 6:56 pm
Discotres

I bought the short standard ones for £105, and he has now run out of stock, those long ones are more expensive, don't know the list price but TLO will know. They were getting rid of old stock on an auction site, these were up for £303.95, so you were offered a bit less which is not bad. The stock code is LR006442 so you could ring around but they are quite rare.

I have had a look around using the part code and found Duckworth Land Rover are the cheapest I have seen doing them at £287.88 incl vat & delivery, speak with TLO he may price match or beat that.

Post #60238312th Feb 2010 7:13 pm
Discotres

I have been sent two replacement screws and two gromits, looking at the new screws they are different to the ones that came with my rails i.e. more ssubstantial. I am very concerned that it is only three 'short' screws each side that hold the rails on, especially when the head has sheared off one as shown. I will get the broken one examined by Thule as it may be a rogue batch Shocked

I will post a picture of both screws but the gallery is down at the moment,

Post #60281713th Feb 2010 12:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >