DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Roof racks and fuel economy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Crocodile

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Roof racks and fuel economy

G'day everyone

I'm sure this topic has already been debated more than once - and a quick search of the forum confirms it, - but as time goes on new data becomes available. So here's one about roof racks and MPGs...

I need one for my D4, and I need it to support my weight when I climb atop to take pictures and also serve as a platform for bulk loads and spares - so we're talking 120-150 kilos here. I also want it to be quiet and not eat into my wallet by doubling my fuel bills Wink

The contenders are:
    official LR rack - nice looks, aerodynamics, just 5 cross bars and puny 54kg load rating, expensive as hell

Front Runner slim - fair looks, noise, lots of cross bars, good cargo mounting system, 150kg load

Mudtech aluminium rack - similar to FR in shape, quoted 300kg rating, not available yet (but will be, I'm told, in the next few weeks)

ProSpeed - aerodynamics, looks are OK, little else data is available (BTW, can somebody please tell me where they hide on the Net - their official site seems to be dead?)

Unfortunately, the list of contenders does not include the offerings from AUS and NZ - roof racks generally are expensive and shipping costs for something like Baja will nearly double them in price Crying or Very sad

I understand that D4 roof can easily cope with a lot of weight when stationary, and less so when in motion, so the official LR 54kg is dictated by "foolproofness" rather than actual strength of the body. But insufficient number of cross bars calls for a flat floor, which equals extra weight.

Another consideration is the increase in fuel consumption. Yes, I know, should've bought a Prius, but having just left behind Discovery 2 with its 19mpg and regularly squeezing 30mpg out of my new D4 I don't really want to go back and sure hell can't be blamed for that Wink

My D2 had a full size FR rack, which I loved, although it was as noisy as my missus on a bad day. It did save my roof (and possibly a lot more) once when a tree fell on the car, and with all the mods to suspension and engine I doubt it had a massive impact on fuel economy - although it sure didn't help.

So I'm humbly asking you to share your experience. If it were your money and it were no object (within reason, let's say, one grand Laughing ) which one would you go for? Am I missing something? And what happens to MPGs with each of them?

Last edited by Crocodile on 28th Jan 2013 12:03 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #104321827th Jan 2013 12:59 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I use Prospeed rack I got second had as was after one with mesh floor and have to say I would only improve one thing on it, to get flatter load area but it still proves to be superb
It is very streamlined adding no extra noise while doing even 90+ MPH
I have stood up on it on many occasions with rack already being loaded with around 30kg
I have looked around for the rack before and must admit Prospeed is the best design by far so far and it is so eas to mount or take off the vehicle as it is light as hell and still costs less than other racks out there
good luck hunting

Post #104322527th Jan 2013 1:13 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have a Hannibal rack and LR ladder. I really like having a flat rack - its so much more versatile. Wind noise is low and fuel economy barely touched.

I got it secondhand from the Bay for £350 in really good condition. 1.9m x 1.3m

Post #104323227th Jan 2013 1:20 am
Crocodile

So far no praise for the original LR equipment Rolling Eyes I wonder why... Wink

Post #104380628th Jan 2013 12:02 am
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Nothing wrong with the original LR, but as you say, it needs the floor (as per G4 version).
My issue with it is purely lack of length - I want to be able to carry an Oz tent on (in) the rack.

My biggest concern centers on the fixings. Rather than a good strong gutter clamp (eg Hannibal / Defender) we get a few tiny 10mm nuts & puny tapping at the front fixing.

Of preference, I'd want a Hannibal style flat bed about 2.25 long, bolted firmly to extended rails. Thankfully the Disco headlights are good enough to not need an array of spotlights up top.

Oh, and as for economy - with the LR one, My consumption didn't change much (perhaps 1mpg) below 60mph, but once you start going 70+, a big penalty!
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #104381328th Jan 2013 12:13 am
Crocodile

A couple of times I've found myself in a situation where the extra light was needed higher up - as powerful as standard lights are they are still just 70 or so cm off the ground. But I'm sure any of the racks in question will accommodate extra lights - or even something funky like this:
http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page=sho...;Itemid=14 Wink

There are quite a few flat bed Hannibals and Rhinos available for about the same money (or less). But what happens to aerodynamics and hence noise and fuel economy?

Post #104381528th Jan 2013 12:21 am
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

"Delivering 13800 raw lumens" Shocked Shocked

Are you scared of the dark Question Laughing

Aerodynamics are not really a strong point of my LR G4 + 4x LF140's either!
The only one that seems to satisfy that criteria is the Prospeed.
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #104381728th Jan 2013 12:29 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I used to get around 450 out of the tank driving home across Europe and it hasn't changed with Prospeed rack on. Consumption was even the same travelling with oztent and some other Censored strapped to it last year in Spain

in regards to LED bars I was thinking of hiding SR series 20 incher in the middle and two 6" SR bars sideways behind fairing gtting around 12K lumens and not disturbing aerodynamics but still no time

cheers

Post #104382328th Jan 2013 12:46 am
Crocodile

Still no flattering words about the original LR rack... What about the G4 version? I understand it's made in a different way, with tubular steel frame and solid floor. Heaver, but max load figures are more down to earth Wink

Post #104642631st Jan 2013 9:48 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I Lost about 3-4 mpg on the D3 with a front runner fitted.

having looked at all the expo rack alternatives over the last 6 months, i'm going to buy another Frontrunner slimline for the D4 Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #104642731st Jan 2013 9:50 pm
Crocodile

DiscoDunc wrote:
I Lost about 3-4 mpg on the D3 with a front runner fitted.

This kind of makes sense - aerodynamics on the FR racks is not its strongest point. I'm beginning to think about combining the FR or equivalent flatbed aluminium rack with some form of wind deflector, using the ProSpeed version as a guide, as it seems the most MPG-friendly. I doubt I'll be able to mould plastic myself though Confused

Mudtech4x4 people, are you up for it? Wink

Post #104643431st Jan 2013 9:56 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

the thing i like about the FR rack is that you can easily load all sorts on things to it, you can walk on it without needing to buy a seperate base and the rack side are flat so you can bolt awnings etc without having to buy other special mounting brackets. the cross bars also allow infinate options for straping down items using the tie down eyes that can be postioned anywhere on the cross bars.

for me, its far more useable than the tubular racks
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #104645131st Jan 2013 10:08 pm
Crocodile

Yes, I had a FR rack on my old D2 and I did like it a lot. Hiding the load inside the aerodynamically efficient enclosure has its plus points, too. G4 racks' users, your opinion?

Post #104645931st Jan 2013 10:14 pm
marcap599

Germany 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Not appreciable increase of fuel consumption with the rack fitted. No noise till 140 Kmh. No roof bar needed to mount.
The design of all the bar made possible to fit any kind of things, the "T" rail are excellent.
Oxidated industrial aluminium and triple painting. You can adjust the position and the number of cross bars.
Additional lights only require a "L" braket to be fixed.

marcap599  
Post #10504966th Feb 2013 10:48 pm
emmab

Do rhino make the correct fittings for LR extended roof bars. I have a ladder rack taken off a van and would like to transfer it over to the new D4 and the old rail fittings are the wrong sizeÅ·

Post #10505577th Feb 2013 1:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >