DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Roof Mount DVD - Air Con & Alarm Sensor - Where do they
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
luciogodoy

Brazil 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Roof Mount DVD - Air Con & Alarm Sensor - Where do they

Hi All;

I have a D3 HSE Nov/06, and I have been offered by LR to get a roof mounted DVD on the car as part of my deal.

I have seen other cars with this kind of DVD installed before, my question is very simple:

There are to systems on the roof of the D3, one is the Rear Air Con Controls + Light Switches and the other is Sonic Sensor for the Car Alarm, so here we go:

If the DVD roof mounted kit goes on the roof, where those systems goes to?

I attached a picture, as I cannot find the answer.

Even if the AIR Con + Lights can be moved, what about the sensor? Does it get disabled?

If you have this system installed, could you share some pictures, pls.

Thank you

Lucio

I'm riding a R1250GSA Triple Back
Previous love: Disco 3 HSE MY07, D4 heated Steering/W, D4 rear cluster, D4 extended roof rack, D4 grille & air grille, D4 rear bumper, colour coded arches + front bumper, side-steps, Webasto timer/ remote control, De-Tangoed Xenon headlights + HID, LEDs all around, reverse CAM (RR hack) + brightness, DLR LEDs, 3-click indicator, SatNav on the move, EGR's done, front/rear antiroll bar Polybush, gearbox pan/filter + oil mega-flush. 

Post #28667414th Apr 2008 7:51 pm
blueanchorinn
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

All these controls are repositioned within the DVD housing, lokos very neat. Make sure they fit the bits of foam (TSB ????? alarm going off when dvd fitted) Will take picture tomorrow and post
 Pot Noodle Challenge Winner 2011
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person 

Post #28668014th Apr 2008 8:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

heres a few quick pics ...
Factory fit Rosen DVD unit

Click image to enlarge

The alarm sensors are behind the little slots .. they will probably need some foam inserted round the sensors as they do false trigger (did in mine)
HTH

Post #28668714th Apr 2008 8:20 pm
Nuts06

France 2013 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hello,

And this DVD housing is not annoying in the rear mirror ?

Fred
 2005 Discovery 3 V8 HSE Seven
Bonatti grey with Alpaca Leather 

Post #28669114th Apr 2008 8:30 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

Nuts06 wrote:
And this DVD housing is not annoying in the rear mirror ?

nope ... well it only get in the way if the screen is down, but I rarely use the internal mirror myself anyway as the door mirrors are much better, plus if you have people in the rear seats I can't see much via the internal mirror (I'm short Laughing )

Post #28669914th Apr 2008 8:57 pm
luciogodoy

Thanks all for the replies.

TazDaz, the dealer said that the DVD player it is NOT the original LR as they cannot retro-fit it, but it is what they install normally when requested for DVD mounted on the roof.

I guess i need to find the make and model, the colour (as it needs to match the roof colour) and if they are completing the job to the LR specification.

Also i guess i need to keep whatever part they remove, as i might need to remove the DVD in the future and i will need to put it back as it was before.

Regards

Lucio
Previous love: Disco 3 HSE MY07, D4 heated Steering/W, D4 rear cluster, D4 extended roof rack, D4 grille & air grille, D4 rear bumper, colour coded arches + front bumper, side-steps, Webasto timer/ remote control, De-Tangoed Xenon headlights + HID, LEDs all around, reverse CAM (RR hack) + brightness, DLR LEDs, 3-click indicator, SatNav on the move, EGR's done, front/rear antiroll bar Polybush, gearbox pan/filter + oil mega-flush. 

Post #28673814th Apr 2008 9:43 pm
DiscoStu

England 

The original LR DVD roof-mounted player was always a dealer-fit Confused
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #28675214th Apr 2008 10:06 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I noticed that my local dealer is also offering 8" Made In China roof-mounted DVDs too Evil or Very Mad I asked the price and they told me it was 580 euros plus fitting.....you can buy a 10.2" Alpine one (with fitting kit included) for only 650 euros!!!! The fitting instructions for the Rosen unit are available on the LR owner's info website and it is a straight-forward job - it will be similar (if not identical) for almost any other roof-mount system (unless it's really cheap).

I guess that there is a lot more margin to be had when they can buy the DVD unit for 100 quid instead of 700 quid from LR.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #28677214th Apr 2008 10:35 pm
luciogodoy

Hi All;

I got this email from my dealer:

"I have spoken to our audio installer, who has recommended having 2 headrest screens fitted. He has explained to me that, with your model car having rear air conditioning and a sunroof, that the motors cause interference to the audio systems. By having the screens in the headrests, it allows sufficient distance to avoid the interference. The installation company will fit new headrests to the drivers and passengers seats to allow for the bigger sized screens to fit. They will fit a 6 disc DVD Changer in one of the rear pockets to the side of the parcel shelf. The system will come with remote control..."

Question time:

Is the roof mounted DVD better than the headrests? or what he is saying about the interference is not true?

In the end: 2 screens are better than one, and a 6 x DVD changer is better than one DVD, I think!

Thanks

Lucio

Post #28764816th Apr 2008 5:38 pm
AVE
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Mine has factory fitted roof mounted dvd, I have sunroof but I don't have rear air con controls, just blanking plates on dvd player, so I don't get any interference with the audio systems. The system is very neat and unobtrusive when not in use.
To help with visability when in use, I seat the kids so that the second row centre seat is folded down. Then I can use the rear mirror along with the door mirrors.
 As you slide down the banister of life
may no splinters point your way

Disco XXV
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY16
Discovery Sport HSE Lux MY17

Evoque HSE Dynamic MY16 (Gone)
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY14 (Lovely car but preferred the Disco!)
Disco 3 Tdv6 HSE MY05 (owned for 11 years and now gone)
Range Rover Sport HSE MY11 (Gone)
Freelander2 SE (Gone but the most reliable car we've ever owned)
Disco 2 V8 (Gone) 

Post #28766716th Apr 2008 6:02 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I would go for the headrest versions (ask then for the original headrests back thoiugh in case you want to change it back....
and 6xDVD's woudl keep the kids happy for hours! Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #28766916th Apr 2008 6:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

OK, my D3 hasn't got rear air con or sunroof, But my roofmount DVD has 8.5" screen, TV, and inbuilt FM modulator, so in-car stereo plays the DVD and TV audio, was £190 off ebay, and is fitted where the alarm unit sat. I just moved the alarm contents (and there isn't much inside that big alarm unit) into the base of the DVD player. You can just make out the two rear facing alarm sensors in this pic.

Being roof mounted it can be seen from all the rear seats, something that cant be done with headrest mounted screens.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #28767016th Apr 2008 6:10 pm
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Here is my "factory" version Down Under:

Click image to enlarge
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #28792717th Apr 2008 10:06 am
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Right I'm probably going to get shouted at for asking this question in the wrong place, but how do you incorporate an image in the post Question

I was trying to post a pic of my DVD with the air-con controls.
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #28794317th Apr 2008 10:44 am
luciogodoy

No shouting Laughing

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/faq.php#33

Very easy, even the blonde lady from the Apprentice program on BBC1 could pontentialy follow the intructions

Rolling with laughter

Lucio

Post #28794817th Apr 2008 11:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >