Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Roof boxes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

mick wrote:
I have the Kamei Topstar in silver which looks the part on my silver D3 heading for the Alps also on the 16 Feb via tunnel 5 persons on board hoping for lots of snow.
Mick Zambezi Silver

Mick, what time is your crossing? We will be Chunnelling at 11:50am (booked) but looking at who I have to pick up and knowing their organisational skills it may well be a later one..... Rolling Eyes

We'll be in a Cairns Blue SE with Disco3.co.uk stickers (see gallery) with a metallic anthracite painted roofbox. Will be stopping overnight at Dole, just south of Dijon, before heading down past Geneva towards Les Contamines (near Chamonix) on the Saturday morning.

I dusted off my French last night and rang the owner of the chalet who, in true gallic style, kept asking me to repeat myself before correcting any imagined variations in their accepted pronunciation. Have a sore throat this morning from regurgitating all that phlegm. It's funny how I never get that treatment when speaking it face to face, it seems to be something the French reserve for telephone conversations. I sometimes get the feeling they are taping it for use on local radio..... Rolling Eyes
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #1278966th Feb 2007 11:12 am
retired

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I have a Thule 650 litr box (quite old Vision) which is attached to the car with Atera bars. On a return journey to Regensburg with 2 adults and 2 kids plus load of luggage got about 21mpg. How much of this figure is down to the roof box and how much to the need to use lots of throttle to maintain speed (about 140kph) on motorway hills I'm not sure.

Atera bars excellent and almost no wind noise.

Usually get about 26mpg without box on flat southeast motorways at similar speeds.

Love the car but it is really underpowered when laden and attempting to maintain speed on hilly motorways.

Post #1279026th Feb 2007 11:32 am
Calcul@tor

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

DiscoStu wrote:
I got over 34mpg with this box on when I drove to Cornwall last year.

How do you do that! I only get over 30 mpg for about 15 seconds after I zero the trip and before I touch the accelerator again!!

Seriously, even trying to drive as economically as possible (something I'm not very good at) I only seem to get high 20s - I don't think I've ever managed over 30 mpg for more than a mile or two. Big Cry
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #1279776th Feb 2007 2:54 pm
fisherman

Wales 

My D3 manages 18.4 mpg whatever I do!
May as well give it some wellie then. Very Happy
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #1279836th Feb 2007 3:08 pm
DiscoStu

England 

I normally only get 21 mpg. I went down to Cornwall overnight, car fully load (5 up) + roofbox, reset the computer, set the cruise to a touch under 70 and 330 miles later 34 mpg....
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #1279976th Feb 2007 3:48 pm
fisherman

Wales 

I'm off to visit my parents on the west coast of Wales early Saturday morning, so I'll have a go at doing the same as Stu. It would be good for my marriage if it returned similar to Stu's 34mpg. I'll have six up but no roof box (yet!) and I'll keep the speed to around the 70mph mark.
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #1280196th Feb 2007 5:17 pm
DiscoStu

England 

My roofbox!

More pics here - http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=953

It's 235 cm long, 92 cm wide and 35 cm tall at its highest point. The rear is scratched where it's been stood in a garage, but the photo makes it look worse than it really is. Two scratched areas on the side rim too (just above the rails in the pics, side nearest the house). The marks on the front are just dead flies Embarassed I've had it 5 years and used it 5 times...... Opens both sides, lockable, 2 keys, fixings to fit the LR bars and fixings to fix narrower Thule bars.

Now I just need to persuade SWMBO that she wants to sell it..... There has certainly been a lot of interest Shocked Smile

Correct album address now added....
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #1280436th Feb 2007 7:13 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

NoDo$h wrote:
<snip>
Mick, what time is your crossing? We will be Chunnelling at 11:50am (booked) but looking at who I have to pick up and knowing their organisational skills it may well be a later one..... Rolling Eyes
<snip>

Booked in on the 7am train if we make it stopping dover thurs night taking my chalet with me HYMER caravan driving down to a place called VENOSC below LES DEUX ALPS .MICK

Post #1280456th Feb 2007 7:20 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Shocked How early? Well I guess it's unlikely I'll be seeing you then Laughing Our routes will split just south of Dijon, which is 6 hours from Calais by Disco and I guess 7 hours by Hymer? With your 4 hour head start.....

Coming back on Sunday 25th around lunchtime. If on the offchance you do see a roofboxed Cairns Blue SE give us a flash (vicar!)

Cheers

ND
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #1280976th Feb 2007 9:29 pm
mick

will do thats if we get there going back to dealers again on fri more gear box trouble plus turned engine off tonight and it kept running.
mick

Post #1281226th Feb 2007 10:49 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Good luck with the dealer. Running on after switching off is usually a dodgy solenoid, but with diesels there is always the chance that a seal has gone and you are running on the engine oil. Shocked
Post #1281346th Feb 2007 10:59 pm
mick

think it will be solenoid only done it once and i just flicked the key into start and off it went.
mick

Post #1287558th Feb 2007 9:21 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

DiscoStu wrote:

So that's where the Jamacan Bobsled Team ride went! Just turn it over and we coooool runnin dude!

Post #1287618th Feb 2007 9:34 pm
mick

[quote="NoDo$h"]Good luck with the dealer. Running on after switching off is usually a dodgy solenoid, but with diesels there is always the chance that a seal has gone and you are running on the engine oil. Shocked[/quote
D3 back from Guy Salmon Wakefield they found a fault and contacted LR technical who said upgrade the ecu and something else about transfer box fingers crossed its ok for French trip now.
Mick Very Happy

Post #1289779th Feb 2007 9:16 pm
Buckingham

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I'm looking at getting the Thule Ranger 90 which is the fold up soft "box" or equivalent. Anyone know anywhere cheaper than Halfords to get one?

Post #1289789th Feb 2007 9:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >