Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Road Speed Related Whine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SantaCruz

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto ArubaDiscovery 4
Road Speed Related Whine

I dont normally post up things like this, so this more of a confidence check for myself...

I have a Road Speed related whine, the faster you go, the higher pitch/louder is gets coming from the front. It doesn't make and difference if accelerating, braking or coasting in or out of gear (its an Auto) or hi/low ratio - so, culprits are wheel bearings or front diff. (i've checked the passengers side wheel bearing as seems ok - but will take a further look at weekend)

From having a poke around underneath, and doing an diff oil change, there appears to be the remenace of a massive oil leak. The amount of oil drained was er... very little (<200ml) and some miniscule metal frags on the plug. Having topped up the oil its made no dicernable difference to the whine. This was an LR rebuilt Diff installed 2013, which had its previous oil change in 2017.

At a guess whats happened... oil as done a runner, the bearings/pinion/main wheel have ran dry and fubard themselves. (I'm pretty confident its not the diff bearings as I know what that sounds like as I had to replace the original diff for that reason)

I'm open to other possibilities...

If this is the case, I dont want to take a punt on changing the beaings to find out its the pinion/main wheel as I'd be back as step one.

So if anyone knows of a low milage front diff for a an Auto TDV6 going spare Wink....
 Si

2016 Disco 4 SE Tech
2019 Fiesta ST3
2021 GBS Zero 

Post #194898029th May 2018 5:41 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have you checked the breather pipe near the radiator. If this is blocked oil will disappear via the seals. So if you replace/repair diff the same will happen if this is blocked. Just a thought, swap front wheels to the rear and see if noise is the same as tyres can make a whine.

Post #19505614th Jun 2018 6:04 am
SantaCruz

i'll take a look at the breather, but not too concerned about the oil loss at the moment, just the casue of the noise. I should have mentioned the tyres are new (approx 700 miles). The noise is very obvious when you put your ear in the passengers foot well, whichis literally behind the diff..

The more I think about it, the more I think its the front diff... hey-ho Smile
 Si

2016 Disco 4 SE Tech
2019 Fiesta ST3
2021 GBS Zero 

Post #19507884th Jun 2018 9:39 pm
SantaCruz

any further suggestions?
 Si

2016 Disco 4 SE Tech
2019 Fiesta ST3
2021 GBS Zero 

Post #19513786th Jun 2018 10:12 pm
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The LR breather cap TSB

Globetrotter has already suggested this as a possibility, so this is worth a read.

Post #19514087th Jun 2018 1:24 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

SantaCruz wrote:
i'll take a look at the breather, but not too concerned about the oil loss at the moment, just the casue of the noise. I should have mentioned the tyres are new (approx 700 miles). The noise is very obvious when you put your ear in the passengers foot well, whichis literally behind the diff..

The more I think about it, the more I think its the front diff... hey-ho Smile

Sounds like your instincts are correct to me. Generally, if you're hearing a continuous and incremental speed related noise, the damage is probably already done. Nonetheless, you do need to pay attention to the previous posts relating to the actual cause of the oil leak!! It seems incredibly rare to loose a Diff so relatively soon after a replacement, same problem/cause second time around?? If so, something is not adding up there should that prove to be the case. The breather is critical to every Diff, and you could say equal to the oil contribution. It might be that the original cause of diff failure was not investigated properly, and now recurring! best of luck!

Post #19514107th Jun 2018 2:23 am
SantaCruz

The initail diff failure was down to the bearings, but most probably correct about the blocked breather - but thats a 5 min fix. Anyway, now have replacement diff on way..
 Si

2016 Disco 4 SE Tech
2019 Fiesta ST3
2021 GBS Zero 

Post #195337513th Jun 2018 8:09 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >