Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Rip-Off Britain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
mke

United Kingdom 

Yes, I am sure you are right - we do all know the answer to what would happen if fuel duty was halved! But that would be a general thing at all filling stations, not just at motorway service areas.

And my point was, really, that probably the motorway service area operators pay a hefty fee each day before making any money at all, just for the privilege of running the franchise. And that could account for the inflated prices which, given that cost, could be actually be 'reasonable'.

I'm not saying those high costs are right - they are indeed ripping motorists off. I'm just pointing out that blaming the service area operators might not be strictly fair if it's the Government/Department of Transport that is causing the high prices. But I don't actually know whether my surmise is right or not. It might be interesting for someone who properly understands these things (i.e. not me!) to look at the yearly profits of those operators?

Post #19800111st Sep 2018 10:41 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

in the southwest the government spent £3million putting up motorway signs to tell us how much fuel was at each service station.,,driving the m5 now all the signs are the same price..(very expensive) so all we learn is the b Censored ds are seeing us..waste of Censored money.

Post #19800121st Sep 2018 10:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hot Tub

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Shell card gives you 8p a litre off motorway prices only £3 a year www.camc.com/motorway/fuelcard not got one myself but on a long road trip with tintent maybe worth it?

Post #19800142nd Sep 2018 12:56 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Fill up before you go. I did 400 miles last week on 2/3rds of a tank in a D5. Thumbs Up

Post #19800192nd Sep 2018 5:45 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Diesel £1.519 on the M6 yesterday. £1.329 off the motorway. Mad
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #19800222nd Sep 2018 6:33 am
latnutgub

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

During the weekend I filled up in France Diesel Euro 1.64 Ltr, Luxemburg Euro 1.13 Ltr, and Germany Euro1.30 Ltr.

UK price for fuel has always been OTT.

Post #19800282nd Sep 2018 7:33 am
seddie

Scotland 

Tesco Danestone, Aberdeen.....£121.9/diesel, Tesco Inverurie, 13 miles north....£132.9/diesel. They say they respond to local prices but I don't see anyone coming close in and around Aberdeen.

Post #19800372nd Sep 2018 8:26 am
Washwipe

England 

mke wrote:
Yes, I am sure you are right - we do all know the answer to what would happen if fuel duty was halved! But that would be a general thing at all filling stations, not just at motorway service areas.

And my point was, really, that probably the motorway service area operators pay a hefty fee each day before making any money at all, just for the privilege of running the franchise. And that could account for the inflated prices which, given that cost, could be actually be 'reasonable'.

I'm not saying those high costs are right - they are indeed ripping motorists off. I'm just pointing out that blaming the service area operators might not be strictly fair if it's the Government/Department of Transport that is causing the high prices. But I don't actually know whether my surmise is right or not. It might be interesting for someone who properly understands these things (i.e. not me!) to look at the yearly profits of those operators?

Not what I’m led to believe, only the services on the motorway are paying to the Dept of Transport, hence a lot of newer services are set up just off a junction, alledgedly they do not come under DoT, no excuse for them.

Post #19800462nd Sep 2018 9:07 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you think a fuel station is too expensive, don't use it. That's what's supposed to happen. It's expensive so that those who can go elsewhere and there's fuel there for those that do need to use it.

Motorway services are expensive because a lot of people would like to use them. If they were the same price, we'd all stop there since it's inherently convenient. All the locals would fill up there too and you'd have constant shortages.

It's the location that holds the value, so it's the land owner who's getting the extra dosh. If you want to find the root cause of the higher prices, look for why there's that scarcity value attached to the location. Of course, there's a simple way to drive the prices down - build more motorway service stations - but planning and other bureaucracies around facilities and design, as well as real-world constraints, will all hold this back, and the baseline is not stable, but that of increasing demand.

RRSTDV8 wrote:
The question is: if HMRC cut fuel duty in half over night, would the forecourt prices drop by the same margin overnight? I think we all know the answer to that.

It'd be a miracle if they did, because the supply couldn't possibly respond to the increased demand overnight. That is, if it happened unannounced.
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #19800512nd Sep 2018 9:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >