Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Reversing Camera and rearview surround camera
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
hids4u

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Reversing Camera and rearview surround camera

I finally got round to installing the camera that replaces one of the number plate lights in the tailgate handle (well my mechanic did Laughing )

I have to say having had the camera mounted in the bumper this new camera is a new world. Makes parking a real ease as you can see the distance now due to the height and angle of the camera. whereas the one in the bumper things just got bigger!

But i also decided that it would be good to make the most of the GVIF unit and connect another camera up to it that i could use all the time as a blind spot elimator. I installed a Sony CCD camera behind the rear window and the results are amazing. being inside it means that you can clean the glass when its raining with the wiper - using the external cameras things go a little blurd so not too practical. There are some images below to show the difference between the two cameras. Note the black line is one of the heating lines on the rear window! The CCD lense does deal better with the glare from headlights during night driving but other than that the quality is virtually the same as the high quality CMOS units we sell mainly.

For those of you wanting a second camera to be able to see the towbar when hooking up - i have thought of a simple way of you over-riding the reversing function of the GVIF unit that normally displays the reversing camera automatically when you select reverse. All you need to do is put an inline on/off switch on the 12volt feed from the reversing lights to the gvif box and locate this somewhere on the console. simpy switch it off when you want the other camera and the GVIF will show whichever video input you select via the toggle switch!

Pictures below:
Sony CCD second camera used as rear view mirror/surround camera

for comparision of the angle and view this is the camera in the rear tailgate

Side view of the rear view camera

Thats how close you can get - image in on Sat Nav Screen from tailgate camera - parking sensors had been beeping beeeeeep for 20cm by this point

And from outside - its close
Click image to enlarge

I have also finally completed a detailed instruction manual for the GVIF unit. Cant seem to upload it so if some lets me know how i will add it or PM/email me and i can send it to anyone who wants it

Just a reminder - link for the number plate camera is http://www.hids4u.co.uk/reversing-camera-f...der-2.html

Note VAT not gone up yet!!

Link for GVIF unit (20 more just arrived) http://www.hids4u.co.uk/land-rover-discove...creen.html

And the rear view camera link is http://www.hids4u.co.uk/Sony-ccd-reversing...ality.html

Discount code disco315

In the next two weeks i will be mounting one of these http://www.hids4u.co.uk/number-plate-holde...amera.html to the front to complete the surround camera system. I did look at adding a camera to the door mirror but one, its a pain to get the cables inside, two, the camera gets dirty when driving in rain and finally the one camera in the rear covers the blind spots on either side!

Regards

Ian

[/img]

Post #7407043rd Jan 2011 8:31 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Must resist.....................Would love to have this system in my D3, front/rear cameras....sadly I could'nt even justify the outlay even though I am used to a surround sytem like this in my LGV...

Any discount for a Birthday boy today Whistle

Post #7407153rd Jan 2011 8:58 pm
hids4u

Happy Birthday a fellow Capricorn Smile

Its a very sexy system - and in coming week hoping to add a hard disc multiplexor to the set up to record all the cameras for play back if needed Smile

Whats your set up at the moment? do you have the GVIF unit already?

Post #7407173rd Jan 2011 9:01 pm
MacLeod 313

Nope...........seen a fellow members GIf interface (SGH), got headrest screens and SatNav..............would love the surround stuff just for when SWMBO drives. Sadly an expensive xmas and the D3 has had too much money of late with the compressor and front discs recently Big Cry

Perhaps I should buy bit by bit.......

Post #7407193rd Jan 2011 9:08 pm
hids4u

ok i feel the pain of the compressor. managed to get mine done under warranty on the sport. seems they need changing after 3-4 years as standard

The gvif and the rear camera would be good first step. the camera in the handle is a bit of a pig to fit whereas the one at the top and in the bumper i did do myself in very little time

Maybe i should offer HP Smile

Best price i could do is 299.99 for both the GVIF and the rear sony ccd camera

Post #7407243rd Jan 2011 9:15 pm
MacLeod 313

cheers, I will get it done.............But just not yet purely on cost, way too much outgoing ontop of xmas.

Post #7407253rd Jan 2011 9:17 pm
flydive

Switzerland 

Hi Ian, I have the number plate camera that I got from you installed on my RRS, I opened a thread on the other site few weeks ago.
It works well only 2 small "problems" with it.

1. it gets dirty/wet quite easily in bad weather, especially now with all the salt on the roads and so the image suffers a bit, but also quick to clean.

2. not the camera's fault, when you just started the car it takes a bit for the image to come up while the nav system goes through his start checks.

The override switch was already in my plans, to be able to have an image even when going forward, but I believe I will have to add a diode between where the camera takes the power at the rear light and the light itself, otherwise the light will turn on with the switch.

Post #7407273rd Jan 2011 9:25 pm
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Mac you may find this thread interesting too, in that you can get said switcher for about GBP 30, a couple (or more) of good cameras, and feed the output of the multiplexer to one of the SMB inputs behind the screen instead of the GVIF. Won't switch on automatically when in reverse though, but you wouldn't need that with a front facing camera anyway Rolling Eyes

PS: Happy Birthday Thumbs Up
 ==> Guide - Inexpensive AV Modification
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded) 

Last edited by discoBizz on 4th Jan 2011 8:40 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7407293rd Jan 2011 9:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

cheers Biz, wishing it was that easy....I'll get it done, but just not yet

Post #7407303rd Jan 2011 9:29 pm
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

flydive wrote:
The override switch was already in my plans, to be able to have an image even when going forward

You could use a switching relay in a similar configuration to this and power pin 30 from the rear power socket in the boot (I'm using power from my second battery fuse block and have a switch, or you could reverse the whole thing to connect the camera on pin 30...):

As a footnote, please note most reversing cameras have the image reversed and would not be suitable for front facing mounting. It took me quite a bit of searching to find one that had the image user selectable (straight or flipped)
 ==> Guide - Inexpensive AV Modification
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #7407313rd Jan 2011 9:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hids4u

flydive wrote:
Hi Ian, I have the number plate camera that I got from you installed on my RRS, I opened a thread on the other site few weeks ago.
It works well only 2 small "problems" with it.

1. it gets dirty/wet quite easily in bad weather, especially now with all the salt on the roads and so the image suffers a bit, but also quick to clean.

2. not the camera's fault, when you just started the car it takes a bit for the image to come up while the nav system goes through his start checks.

The override switch was already in my plans, to be able to have an image even when going forward, but I believe I will have to add a diode between where the camera takes the power at the rear light and the light itself, otherwise the light will turn on with the switch.

Yes rain is a pain but its the same on any OEM camera. I notice that when it drys the image is ok even without wiping in most cases. That why i added a second camera for road driving thats behind the screen Smile

Yes the Land rover software is slow sometimes and if you select reverse the image doesnt display until the land rover home screen goes away!

The over-ride i was referring to is only to allow you to switch off the image from AV4 when you are still in reverse by removing the 12v + feed to the GVIF reverse input. then the toggle switch will work again.

I simply fed the camera with an ignition feed so its on all the time Smile easier than putting a relay in

Post #7407503rd Jan 2011 10:13 pm
hids4u

As a footnote, please note most reversing cameras have the image reversed and would not be suitable for front facing mounting. It took me quite a bit of searching to find one that had the image user selectable (straight or flipped)[/quote]

I agree - i have sourced and stock a number of cameras that have none mirrored images and no parking lines. some even have the option to mirror or not and switch parking lines on or off. The number plate ones CCD are none mirrored and no parking lines and also have the infrared night vision for when you get close to objects that are lower down than where the headlights shine Smile

Post #7407513rd Jan 2011 10:15 pm
Will Hay

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

hids4u.
I'm in Leeds too, where did you have it installed and how much?
Cheers,
Rob
 D3 incl. genuine glass windscreen, front bi-focal headlights, full width rear bumper, self levelling washer bottle contents and audible 'tick tock' indicator stalk
911 GT3 had one [never]
R8 V12 just gone [past me]
Piiss highest up a wall winner runner up 1979 

Post #7409204th Jan 2011 1:35 pm
hids4u

Hi Rob
Adventrue 4x4 could do it for you in Morley
Not sure on cost for fitting - i did my install except the camera in the handle as i didnt have time to strip the tailgate. Rest is quite easy. Say total 3hrs for camera and GVIF
R
ian

Post #7409954th Jan 2011 4:08 pm
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Ian

Where did you or your mechanic route the cable from the camera installed inside ? - been looking at putting a camera here as well so any help on where to route wiring would be very much appreciated .

Thumbs Up

Post #7410154th Jan 2011 4:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >