DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

Reverse camera blurry (D4)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
wertert

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Reverse camera blurry (D4)

Hi All

I'm brand new to the D4 having picked my new (2016) one up on Friday. I'm also really pleased to have found this forum! We had a VW transporter before and having access to a supportive forum was always really helpful when facing small (or large) problems.

Really like the new car but there are a few small issues which I would like to get sorted on an otherwise lovely car.

The reverse camera image is really blurry over about 50-60% of the screen. It doesn't appear to be dirt or moisture related. The outer glass lens cover may be scratched/damaged as it feels slightly rough to the touch. If you catch it in the right light you can see some slight discolouration towards the edges of the lens.

I'm thinking either some kind of abrasive polish on the lens or perhaps a new camera altogether ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post #218099019th Oct 2020 10:51 am
wertert

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Anyone? Any ideas where I could source a replacement camera ?

Thanks.

Post #218112619th Oct 2020 10:30 pm
RATA1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Hello.
Seems like you have already found the source with the lens scratches? Pretty aggressive cleaning from the PO I would say for that type of damage. Sure it isn't damage that has allowed moisture in that is fogging it? My cameras are crap from the factory so I wouldn't notice as I have 100% blur on all 5!
For a replacement try eBay or a site sponsor. No idea what the part number is but I am sure someone will be along soon who might. Failing that Google Smile
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #218112819th Oct 2020 10:50 pm
jamez79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Breakers yard or ebay will have them. I got mine from eBay (breakers yard selling stuff on eBay) and it was fine. Just get the right one as there's a couple of different cameras. A search on here should help. I did have a post on here when fitting mine a year or two ago.

Post #218125720th Oct 2020 1:47 pm
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

Bear in mind that the camera's picture quality on these is atrocious at the best of times.

Post #218144621st Oct 2020 8:43 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

picture quality on my factory fit reverse camera is spot on,

only becomes blurry when the lens is dirty (all the time in autumn/winter) or when reversing at night as I have LED number plate lights that are right next to the camera and the glare impedes on the lens
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #218145421st Oct 2020 9:10 am
RATA1

I think the pre 2014-ish cameras are far better than the later ones.
My brother-in-law sat in mine when I got it and said mine looked broken to his 2010 one he had awhile ago. Think the general opinion is that they are rubbish for the last few years.

Everytime I use mine I ponder the downgrade possibilities to the earlier one but the connectors and number of pins are different for a start.
I think it is the module under the seat that is pooly specced compared to previous. Is the 2014 RR the same unit but better I wonder. I could live with the RR in the middle of the screen...
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #218145521st Oct 2020 9:23 am
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

RogB wrote:
picture quality on my factory fit reverse camera is spot on,

only becomes blurry when the lens is dirty (all the time in autumn/winter) or when reversing at night as I have LED number plate lights that are right next to the camera and the glare impedes on the lens

The quality on my 2010 D4 was great, but on both my 2014 and my current 2016 it's absolutely awful, they obviously changed something on the 2014> cars.

Same with the heating system too, tbh.

Post #218148621st Oct 2020 2:09 pm
RATA1

Mine was/is so bad (and before reading on here Evil or Very Mad ) I swapped the camera module under the seat and put a direct coax from it directly to the back of the screen. Exactly the same!

Given the actual text on the screen is poor as well (when selecting the cameras - not sharp like the other screen functions and a red shadow on the words) I concluded it was not the cameras, the cable from the unit to the screen (crushed) or the actual screen - but the cheap spec or manufacturing defect on the camera module covered up after they bought thousands.

LR don't make these modules so I expect they went to the manufacturer and instead of having the same or better than previous they cheaped out.

The TV isn't stellar quality either up front, but I only listen to that.

You have a 2016 in your profile wertert so I expect what you see is slightly worse than normal?

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #218149721st Oct 2020 3:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >