Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Retro Fit Rear Air Con
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
warrenkerrigan

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Retro Fit Rear Air Con

Hi all

I had a quick look around and I couldn't find anything on this topic.

I was wondering if it was possible to retro fit rear air con to a D4 HSE?

I have just upgraded from a D3 HSE to a D4 and I hadn't noticed that there is no rear air con. The blanking plates are there in the roof, just no options.

Has anyone managed this task? Is it a possible dealer retro fit or is it just a no, no if the factory didn't do it?

W

Post #97683813th Sep 2012 5:02 pm
IanT599

United Kingdom 

I imagine it can be done. I looked into it for my last D3. You need to remove the roof trim to fit the ducts and the other hard bit would be the air con pipes to go from the front compressor to the rear air con unit in the boot.

I would have thought it would all be possible just will cost for the parts and the time to do it all.
 Ian
No longer a LR owner
2018 BMW M240i
2011 FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Gone
2004 TD5 ES - Gone
2008 TDV6 G4 -Sold and missed very much 

Post #97685313th Sep 2012 5:41 pm
warrenkerrigan

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Has anyone else actually done this in a D3 or D4?

Also do you think it is something that a dealer would take on? Or should I be looking for an indy?

I seem to remember that my D3 had two compressors, one for the back and one for the front. Would that not be the case for the D4 too?

Post #97711714th Sep 2012 9:49 am
trebaix

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Long story but briefly I tried to order a rear ac equipped disco4 in early 2011 to replace my range rover tdv8.. My son in law had a disco 3 equipped with rear ac and it was good, essential for comfortable use of the rear two seat in southern France ( which we do in summer) , and even in UK with a hot sunny day.

No go. LR will only supply the rear ac on left hand drive export models. Obviously they are not aware that some people take their cars to hot climates and use the rear seats. In the end I did buy a disco4 and I am happy with it, however the ac is not powerful enough to make the rear seats practical in the way that the dual unit disco 3 did.

LR obviously know this because it makes the rear units available on lhd export models so why not for UK? It seemed to be something to do with vehicle weight and options,I have no idea if LR were telling the truth but I think Toyota and many other companies make rear ac units available.

Retro fit? I Investigated that option in 2001 but whilst initial responses from companies were "yes we can do it" they all came back to me after a while and said "sorry no can do"

That is a précis of a lot of chasing I did in 2011, not sure if anything has changed. Let me know if you want more info

Colin

Post #97732814th Sep 2012 8:26 pm
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

We get rear aircon as standard on our HSE variants - we also get the rear locking diff as standard on all variants, so cannot be a weight issue

Post #97736414th Sep 2012 10:50 pm
trebaix

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The locking rear diff was a tick box extra which I had but the ac was not available at that time. I am only recounting what the situation was 18 months ago in the Uk, perhaps one can now get it - has anyone with a2012 model in the UK got it fitted?

Check with a few of the after market guys and see if they have now actually retro fitted to a disco4. It was not a question of cost when I tried, they all, from LR themselves, to 5 main agents and 3or 4 well established non franchised dealers all, after showing initial positivty, came back to me and said it could not be done.

It appeared to be a UK problem, fitting rear ac to lhd for middle east and France was OK. I could have ordered and bought a French spec model but lhd, differing equipment levels, complicated future trade in values etc made it a total no go.

Ignorant question here, and I could check first on google but must admit to my ignorance, is Souts Africa left or right hand drive?

Colin

Post #97736914th Sep 2012 11:18 pm
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

trebaix wrote:
Ignorant question here, and I could check first on google but must admit to my ignorance, is South Africa left or right hand drive?

Colin

We drive on the Left, same as in the UK (RHD)

Post #97742215th Sep 2012 9:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >