DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Retro fit rain sensor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Naki Blake

New Zealand 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Retro fit rain sensor

Hi all

I have a 30cm crack on my windscreen of my D3. It therefore needs to be replaced (insurance job).

Mine is SE spec, it has a heated windscreen (of which only approx 20% of the element wires work), but does not have a rain sensor fitted.

Can I retro fit a rain sensor? I think the wire is there for it (I've removed the centre light- see photo). It has a black plug (There is also a white plug there as well)

My wiper stalk (see photo) needs to be replaced as well. I can buy both the wiper stalk and rain sensor online (2nd hand on Ebay, or new at lrparts.net)

Is it as easy as plugging the wires into the rain sensor, swapping over the wiper stalk and selecting rain sensor fitted in the CCF using my GAP IID BT?

The window repair shop can get a Heated Pilkington with the plastic piece for the sensor to click into.

Is the rain sensor function worth it? I have to admit that we do get a lot of rain here in the Naki (Taranaki) in the winter months.

Cheers
Blake (from the wet Naki)

Post #22766753rd Feb 2022 1:10 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Just regarding the stalks I personally replaced mine with D4 ones, they were simply plug and play , found them a lot nicer and I’ve just got a base model D3

Someone else should be along regarding the rain sensor

Hope that helps plus found some pics of the stalks fitted

Ps, put ur pic next to the D4 ones so easier for u to compare

Post #22766823rd Feb 2022 1:54 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I don’t know if it can be retrofitted
If you can, it would need a gap iid to enable
I don’t think a switch change is necessary.

Post #22766883rd Feb 2022 5:54 am
enndublya

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Unless you owned the car from new and know that it never had a rain sensor I think it's safe to assume that it had one and it has been removed and not refitted during a previous windscreen replacement.
I have an Australian delivery 2006 SE and it has one.

I suspect that there is no difference with the control stalk.

Post #22766903rd Feb 2022 7:51 am
Naki Blake

My SE is a Jap import. I was assuming that the current windscreen which is cracked and being replaced was original as it has the Land Rover logo on it. Like I say no rain sensor but the wires are there.

Similarly mine didn't have the puddle lights in the bottom of the doors and in the driver and passenger foot wells. The wiring was there neatly wrapped in foam and tucked away. All I had to do was cut the imprint out with sharp knife and plug in the ones I brought on line.

Also mine has no rear and front bumper parking aids. I was getting "ghost" faults on IID Gap tool. Parking aid module was fitted behind rear panel. I pulled out wires from sockets from the module and faults have cleared.

Does yours have front fog lights? (mine doesn't). I have the red rear facing fog lights.

I have leather heated memory seats.

Does anyone know if there is a list of SE specs vs HSE?

Cheers
Blake

Post #22766973rd Feb 2022 9:03 am
enndublya

Yes mine has fog lights.

But still, I have a suspicion that the system is sitting there ready for a rain sensor to be plugged in, and enabled like you said.

The control stalk on my car has no extra details to the one in your photo.

Looking in the Haynes manual for TDV6 UP TO 2009, the rain/light sensor wire colours are:
- White with green trace
- Green - fed from fuse 18 in the passenger side glove box fuse box.
- Red
- Black - chassis earth.

See if that is the same on yours.

Post #22767033rd Feb 2022 9:21 am
Naki Blake

Yes same coloured 4 wires into a black connector. I've just pulled the front centre light off the roof lining again.

Thanks for the clarification I'm going to order the screen with the clear plastic lens, and buy a 2nd hand sensor off Ebay. There are a few there at reasonable price.

I'll see if my current wiper stalk works. I can swap that later if need to.

Cheers
Blake

Post #22767043rd Feb 2022 9:31 am
enndublya

yes, sounds like a logical approach.

And don't forget, most likely need to put a fuse in the F18 slot in the glovebox.
The Haynes manual shows it as 5 amp. I wouldn't put anything bigger in.

Post #22767053rd Feb 2022 9:35 am
Naki Blake

I would not have thought about the fuse - thanks

Vehicle is booked into Novus 2nd March. Things a bit delayed here with Omicron starting to spread through the country.

I'll post on the forum when it's done as to whether it works.

Post #22767073rd Feb 2022 9:46 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

You should be able to test a rain sensor while in your hand. Just rub your fingers across the front and the wipers should kick in. (assuming CCF change and switch in INT position)

Well a jag I was able to

Post #22767493rd Feb 2022 1:03 pm
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

hello,
to retrofit the rain sensor, you only need to have a suitable windscreen, with the sensor itself, and an autodeep interior rearview mirror too, becouse the windscreen with sensors, brings a specific rearview mirror support for the car that is not used to hold the basic manual mirror model since the sensor, and its coverage, need that type of rearview mirror, yit will not be able to adjust the basic model mirror, you do not need change the control stalks because only putting it in intermittent mode activates it, but you have to know that the RAIN sensor comes with AUTO LIGHTS sensor too, when you activate the rain sensor will activate autolights too withaut no opcion, you will also have the automatic lighting sensor too , therefore you have to change the control of the lights to the model with AUTO position..all the pre-installation of cables is already complete in the car (behind the ceiling light plate) and it is only plugging in pins. Of course, afterwards, it has to be activated by editing the CCF. I can say all this because I have done it !

therefore, you need to have a specific windscreen with a sensor port, a self AUTOdeep interior mirror, a cover kit to hide the sensor and the sensor itself, and the light roulette control with AUTO position.

👍
 lost in translation!  
Post #22768874th Feb 2022 12:33 am
Naki Blake

Hi Ruben

Can you please post a photo of your rear view mirror and give me the part number.

Also my vehicle does not have front fog lights fitted, but I have always wanted them. Apparently the template for the cut outs are on the back of the front bumper. If I upgrade my headlight switch to auto if gives me the option to buy front fogs. I am interested in the fogs on PowerfulUK website with LED day time lights. Does anyone have any comments on these? I would also need wiring loom and fuse. The wires from the steering column to the fronr right of the engine bay is there already.
Cheers
Blake

Post #22768974th Feb 2022 1:31 am
enndublya

Hi Blake,
yes I got a set of the DRLs from PowerfulUK, it came with control board and wiring loom. Purchased direct from them in UK.
I fitted them in to an ARB Deluxe Winch Bar on my 2006 D3.
It's a very well put together kit, But I opted to put the control board into an enclosed box from Jaycar. The wiring loom is plug and play.
The control board solves all the switching logic issues that people have struggled with when trying to retro-fit DRLs to these models.
The LEDs wont be as bright as some of the DRLs you see on modern cars but for a gloomy day its giving the car a visible presence.
Also, there is nothing stopping you using the supply to the LEDs to drive an additional set of really high vis LEDs, which are cheap and readily available.

But otherwise with your headlight switch, are you saying that it doesnt have an 'AUTO' position and it doesnt pull out 1 or 2 notches in the ON position?

Post #22769004th Feb 2022 1:48 am
Naki Blake

As you can see my headlight switch does not have auto. It only has 1 click out for the rear fogs (bright read at bottom of rear lights). No fogs fitted in front.

I've brought a couple of things off PowerfulUK website.

Its like my SE does not have all its "bells and whistles". It has leather heated seats, 3 sun roofs. No parking aids.

I can get the upgraded headlamp switch from lrparts.uk with auto and double click out switch.
cheers

Post #22769024th Feb 2022 2:07 am
enndublya

Yeah, thats weird.
But now that you mention it the JDM private import & grey import cars that have been coming into Australia for 40 years always had some quirky differences to them.
At least with the Disco it looks like all the wiring looms were pretty standard and all it takes is to upgrade the devices and enable the function.

I suggest you review the youtube video from PowerfulUK for the installation of the DRLs and pay attention to the existing lamp mounting parts that get re-used to instal the new DRL fog light kit, as yours wont have any hardware. Unless you already plan to get hold of used bumper.

Post #22769044th Feb 2022 2:23 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >