Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Replacing brake lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Replacing brake lights

I have just tried to replace a brake light. However, after removing the two screws, I could not get the lamp unit away from the car Sad I could move it a bit but then it wouldn't come any further.

What's the trick? Do you have to use brute force? Or is there some technique to lever it out somehow without damaging the paintwork?

Thanks for any tips.

Eric

Post #25903013th Feb 2008 5:41 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Pull the light cluster up from the bottom first ..its easier that way .

Apart from the 2 screws the opposite site is held in with two pins located into rubber grommets..thats all

Look at this picture (JKP Thumbs Up )

You can see the 2 offending rubber grommets

Ignore the black bracket ..thats for the lamp guards
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #25903313th Feb 2008 5:53 pm
espri

Many thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try next time I have the chance.

Post #25916013th Feb 2008 9:54 pm
espri

With the help of your advice and picture, Wiggs, -and a strong friend- I managed to swap the lamp today. Knowing about the pins and that it was just a matter of pulling helped a lot. Thanks again.

Actually, I can't see anything wrong with the original bulb, so maybe the proverbial dunt would have solved my problem too Laughing

Eric

Last edited by espri on 15th Feb 2008 2:27 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #25966815th Feb 2008 1:50 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Glad to help Very Happy
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #25967015th Feb 2008 2:06 am
dellpitch

Hi
My brake lights seem to fail all to readily, I use a fairly rigid wallpaper scraper to ease the light cluster pins from there sockets. Just a thought.

Dellpitch

Post #26004715th Feb 2008 10:49 pm
Johnmac

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Be careful you get a good quality bulb and get it in the right way around. Ok- seems obvious, but if the bulb is in backwards, or single filament, or just not very good like mine was, then all sorts go wrong, including other lighting and the transmission. Mine wouldn't change up with the lights on, and wouldn't switch off with my foot on the brake. Bizarre. LR Assistance recovered it to the dealer who had seen the problem before and changed the bulb FOC.

Post #26430425th Feb 2008 10:06 pm
zaphod

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Bu**er

Johnmac,

Wish you had posted last week. Sad Changed a brake bulb with a Halfrauds one last Thursday. Tonight several faults appeared; Big Cry

Firstly, no auto gear shift - Had to use command shift, then; HDC inoperative, Suspension dropped, Special Programmes Not Available, Traction Control Light on, Orange EPB warning light on, Suspension failure light on.

Stopped and switched the whole thing off for 2 mins then re-started. After 5 mins the whole failure sequence re-commenced, finishing with the engine not stopping when the key was turned off. Evil or Very Mad

The LRA bloke who came knew immediately what it was. Bow down The first thing he asked was "Have you recently changed any bulbs?" Question

The bulb I had fitted (from a Halfrauds bulb kit) has the filaments very close together, with the loops on the support wires holding the filaments rolled inwards rather than outwards. The outcome being that when the bulb heats up sufficiently, the supporting wires are close enough for the current to arc between them sending spurious signals up the brake circuit when the tail lights are on. Not a problem in a car with a normal wiring loom, but in the D3 and RRS this apparently confuses the whole electrical circuit causing multiple failures and dozens of error codes.

Anyway he quickly replaced the bulb with a proper LR one, checked and cleared the codes - problem solved. Solution - get spare bulbs from LR not Halfrauds! Thumbs Up

Apparently this issue is known to LR and they are having all the problem bulbs sent back to them.

Just a shame that such a simple problem completely Censored up such a capable car Confused
 Sail Fast - Live Slow...

.. / -.- -. --- .-- / .-- .... . .-. . / -- -.-- / - --- .-- . .-.. / .. ... 

Post #26438326th Feb 2008 12:00 am
Johnmac

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Zaphod

I agree- ridiculous really that it's so prone to something which is so likely to happen. I have to say, it doesn't bode well for these things when they're 15 or 20 years old (or 'just run in' as it used to be known for LRs). Odd thing with mine was that it didn't happen straight away- it had done 1500 miles through Europe with a trailer on and 6 passengers since i changed the bulb in Lyon, and luckily only chose to go strange when we drove off the ferry and into the UK.

Post #26468426th Feb 2008 5:59 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Bu**er

zaphod wrote:
Anyway he quickly replaced the bulb with a proper LR one,

Paid £1.50 for a LR one last week - cheaper than one that the guy in Halfrauds offered me... Very Happy

Gonna get a spare in, just in case.

Post #26469326th Feb 2008 6:12 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

zaphod wrote:
Johnmac,

Wish you had posted last week. Sad Changed a brake bulb with a Halfrauds one last Thursday. Tonight several faults appeared; Big Cry

Firstly, no auto gear shift - Had to use command shift, then; HDC inoperative, Suspension dropped, Special Programmes Not Available, Traction Control Light on, Orange EPB warning light on, Suspension failure light on.

Stopped and switched the whole thing off for 2 mins then re-started. After 5 mins the whole failure sequence re-commenced, finishing with the engine not stopping when the key was turned off. Evil or Very Mad

The LRA bloke who came knew immediately what it was. Bow down The first thing he asked was "Have you recently changed any bulbs?" Question

The bulb I had fitted (from a Halfrauds bulb kit) has the filaments very close together, with the loops on the support wires holding the filaments rolled inwards rather than outwards. The outcome being that when the bulb heats up sufficiently, the supporting wires are close enough for the current to arc between them sending spurious signals up the brake circuit when the tail lights are on. Not a problem in a car with a normal wiring loom, but in the D3 and RRS this apparently confuses the whole electrical circuit causing multiple failures and dozens of error codes.

Anyway he quickly replaced the bulb with a proper LR one, checked and cleared the codes - problem solved. Solution - get spare bulbs from LR not Halfrauds! Thumbs Up

Apparently this issue is known to LR and they are having all the problem bulbs sent back to them.

Just a shame that such a simple problem completely Censored up such a capable car Confused

Excellent...proof to lr1 that I'm not talking bollards about OEM units Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #26469726th Feb 2008 6:15 pm
zaphod

Popped into the local stealer today and picked up a couple of spares for about 80p each. Very Happy

I've been reading the forum for 6 months or so, but hadn't seen this issue before. Perhaps there should be an idiots guide of do's and dont's that could be posted as a sticky somewhere that all new members could be pointed to or have e-mailed to them. Question This could pick up a lot of the common quirks of the D3 to save people posting on newbie issues Question

Whilst a lot of folks won't attempt serious maintenance on the D3, changing a bulb is basic stuff and you really wouldn't expect issues with doing such a simple procedure. Something for Martin or the mods perhaps Bow down
 Sail Fast - Live Slow...

Post #26488126th Feb 2008 10:53 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

There is nothing wrong with 'newbies' asking basic stuff. There is a search facility available, but there should be no stigma attached to asking a basic question regarding the D3.

We are a very knowledgable collective, and should all be willing to pass it on. Thumbs Up

Post #26489026th Feb 2008 11:01 pm
AVE
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

zaphod wrote:
Johnmac,

I had exactly the same sequence of faults back in December. The car was in the Dealers for 2 weeks and they were never able to tell me why. I mentioned the breaklight problem to them, but they claimed not to know of any issue relating to breaklight. Evil or Very Mad
 As you slide down the banister of life
may no splinters point your way

Disco XXV
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY16
Discovery Sport HSE Lux MY17

Evoque HSE Dynamic MY16 (Gone)
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY14 (Lovely car but preferred the Disco!)
Disco 3 Tdv6 HSE MY05 (owned for 11 years and now gone)
Range Rover Sport HSE MY11 (Gone)
Freelander2 SE (Gone but the most reliable car we've ever owned)
Disco 2 V8 (Gone) 

Post #26489126th Feb 2008 11:05 pm
zaphod

Absolutely! Wasn't meant as a criticism. Indeed I still regard myself as a newbie and probably will do for many years to come when I see the depth of knowledge of a lot of the forum members. Bow down

It was merely that, having a list of basic pitfalls (peculiar to the D3) supplied may prevent the issue from occurring in the first place. Whilst I'm sure that lots of the members knew about this issue, it wasn't until I had the car systems shutting down on me on a p Censored g wet night that I checked the forum. By which point LRA had arrived to sort it for me. If I'd know about the possibility of non OE bulbs causing issues I wouldn't just have grabbed the first one I found in the shed last week Embarassed
 Sail Fast - Live Slow...

Post #26490326th Feb 2008 11:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >