Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How to replace the HPFP
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dutchviking

Norway 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
How to replace the HPFP

Was helping out a friend with his 2007 Discovery 3 that went into limp mode. IID Tool was showing the typical faults:

Changed the fuel rail pressure sensor but this did not make any difference. Measured pressure and Amperes as shown i Robbies guide how to check the low pressure fuel system but was getting enough pressure and LP pump drawing 5 Amps.

Link to Robbies guide:

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/robbies-gui...30062.html

The car was hard to start, especially overnight. Sometimes it drove normal for several hundred meters before the whole Christmas tree of warning lights and messages like Engine System Fault, Transmission Fault etc. would show, sometimes immediately after using the throttle.
Checked the transmission ECU:

Mild corrosion - hope arose - cleaned everything with contact oxide cleaner and.... no difference.

Based on what I read on this forum I took the plunge and ordered an overhauled HPFP from Nerings.

Fantastic service, got one delivered within 24 hours after ordering.

Since I did not find a how to guide I'd like to share the experience of replacing the pump. The rear HPFP belt needs to be removed (and use the opportunity to renew) as part of the process.

This little friend proved to be invaluable:

Most challenging task is to remove the oil separator but once you know the trick it actually is not that difficult. Remove engine cover, then remove the coolant pipe that runs across the rear of the engine (2 hose clamps, 2 bolts holding the pipe to the engine hoist mount (10 mm head). Undo and remove both glow plug leads and move these to one side. Remove the rear plastic RH engine cover support "stick" as it will interfere with your arm later. Remove the intercooler hose from the throttle housing and undo the electrical connectors, undo both EGR pipes from the throttle housing by removing their clips and 2 small screws (8 mm head) holding the EGR pipes to the front timing belt cover, remove the big circlip and remove the bolt lower left corner throttle housing. Unclip diesel return hose and sensor from rear of throttle housing. Finally remove throttle housing. Remove metal bracket that holds the big wiring loom and is sitting over the rear HPFP cover by undoing 2 nuts (10 mm head). Bracket indicated by arrow.

Cut through the tape (2x) holding the cable loom to the metal bracket. Remove the metal bracket.

Undo both fuel hoses with quick connect couplers from both fuel pipes from HPFP and diesel return hose.
Click image to enlarge

(Be carefull as these are quite easy to break, as I did as you can see on the photo's later on) Remove the electric connector from the HPFP.

Remove the oil filter housing and cover the opening.

Loosen the clamp holding the hose to the rear of the oil separator, unclip the hose and push it backwards towards the bulkhead.

Remove 3 plastic tie wraps holding the injector cable loom and remove the gray cable support on each side of the engine. Left side of engine shown with cable support tray removed.

Undo one bolt (8 mm head) at the back of the engine (grommet) holding the left metal fuel pipe that runs from the HPFP to the LH fuel rail.

Remove the fuel pipe between the fuel rail and the last injector (nearest bulkhead) so you can undo the next fuel pipe.

Loosen both fuel pipe nuts (17 mm) (fuel rail and HPFP) and pull the fuel pipe to the left and away from behind the oil separator. This will create enough space to now remove the oil separator.

Pull the oil separator up using the provided tie wrap. Now push the round head backwards towards the bulkhead as far as you can, making sure the fuel pipe is out of the way and pushing the wiring loom backwards as well to create more room. Lift the RH glow plug "rail" from the glow plugs and move it a little to the front of the engine, just enough to create space.

Then, as indicated by the photo turn the oil separator counter clockwise so that its left "leg" gets out first. Photos show throttle housing still in place but I removed it later to create more space, it makes removing the separator a lot easier.

Then push and pull and rotate the separator until you manage to free-up its right "leg" as well and remove the separator from the engine.

Moving forward you now remove the cover of the rear HPFP belt and remove the bolt of the belt tensioner (10 mm head) and the tensioner and belt as well. Then proceed and remove 2 bolts (8 mm head) and remove the left part of the plastic belt cover to enable removal of the HPFP.

Now remove the RH fuel pipe from HPFP, first remove the grommet holding the pipe (8 mm head) and from the back of the RH fuel rail. Blue arrow shows broken fuel connector.

Using a mirror and a head light locate both torx bolts (T40) holding the HPFP to its mounting, and remove them.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then remove both front bolts (10 mm head) holding the HPFP to its mounting.

You can now remove the HPFP from the engine.

The new HPFP comes without its gear. To remove the gear land Rover has a special tool, however I blocked the gear with a big screwdriver and removed the nut with an impact gun. The nut uses normal threads and loosens counter clockwise. The gear itself sits on a conical shaft, it lets itself easily remove with a bearing puller. Then move the gear to the new HPFP and whilst holding the gear with for example a screw driver use the impact gun to fasten the nut. Then move the electric loom from the old HPCU to the new one and secure its connector with a tiny tie wrap.

Installation is of course much easier as you know all the steps by now.

Lower the HPFP in its bracket, losely fitting the front bolts first and then the rear torx bolts. Use some loctite on the rear ones as shown.

Then tighten all 4. Install the left section of the HPFP belt cover. Install a new tensioner, then the belt, check with the mirror that everything is installed correctly and remove the locking pin from the tensioner. Install the plastic belt cover and fasten 3 clips.

Now the oil separator gets back in. It gets in the same way as it got out, with its right "leg" first.

Push the separator as far as you can forward and turn it until you get the left leg in as well and install it in place, making sure the rubber grommet sits correct (see arrow)

Put the glow plug power rail back on the glow plugs.

You can now install 3 metal fuel pipes back to both fuel rails and the HPFP and remember to put the grommets back. Then connect the hose on the rear of the oil separator. Now put the metal bracket that holds the cable loom over the rear belt cover back and fasten it with both bolts. Use tie wraps and secure the loom to the bracket. Then the coolant pipe goes back, throttle housing and other parts, connectors etc.

Just completed the job. D3 is fixed! All errors i saw the last couple of days were spin-offs from the main cause: Worn out HPFP. The following errors were present together with limp mode:

Engine System Fault (Message Center)
Transmission Fault + big F (Message Center plus F in speedometer Display)
Suspension Fault (Message Center)
Suspension Lowering
Limp Mode

on IID Tool:
U100-87
U401-68
U401-94
U402-94
U0416-94
P0087-72
P0191-23
P2290-00
B1B78-84

To note is also the exhaust smell. When the HPFP plays up the exhaust is smokey and smells like unburnt diesel. When I purged the air out of the fuel system and started the engine for the very first time this evening I immediately noted the sweet smell of a Discovery TDV6 with a hint of chlorine, indicating proper combustion.

Post #212938019th Mar 2020 9:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >