Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

removing the telephone cradle without cutting the cable.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4
removing the telephone cradle without cutting the cable.

I decided to unfit the telephone cradle:
- it offers very few advantages comparing to operating the mobile over bluetooth hands free
- the only difference is that the battery is being loaded and you see the name/number on the dash and the call history on the screen
- for names with several numbers stored in the phone, only the default number is available over the cradle (a huge handicap for me)

Instead of that I will fit the Brodit proclip and the active phone holder (with plug for sigarette lighter). The phone keyboard and screen will be located more convenient (closer to the steering wheel and within sight) and ALL functions of the phone will be in hand's reach. Over bluetooth the phone remains connected to the audio. And the battery will be loading.

I don't have the time or patience to program all names with for each name several numers in the voice command memory.

And topping that, at last I will be able to use the cooling compartment in the central console for cooling decent bottles. Up to now all it contained was baby yoghurt, gloves and a cap. With the cradle installed, the limited available height handicaps the using of it.

Since I paid some decent money for this cradle, i have this mental barrier to just cut the cable.

But I have problems hiding the cable for (unlikely - I know-) future use without cutting the connector from the cradle base. The cable comes out of the middle tunnel behind the cooling compartiment under the hinge of the lid. The cables are connected firmly to parts of the cradle and without cutting the cable, it seems impossible to hide the cable with connector somewhere hidden, where it doesn't bother.

Does anybody know how to dismantle the cooling cabinet in order to hide the cable + connector somewhere underneath?

Thanks in advance!

CS

Post #1633181st Jun 2007 11:02 pm
mzaver

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

I took the easy way out --- I just cut the cable. I have no use for the cradle and with the cradle you can't put anything of decent size into the cooler box. My plan is to eventually take the box apart and totally remove it from the box. I really found the cradle to be a totally useless piece of .... equipment.
 2007 LR3 HSE - Zermatt Silver Zermatt Silver
2007 LR3 HSE - Stornoway Gray (Mrs.) Bonatti Grey
*Luxury Package (Heated Wind Shield, Heated Seats, Heated Washer Fluid, Adaptive Front Lights and Center Console Cooler Box)* 

Post #1633262nd Jun 2007 12:15 am
captain_sugar

some pics:

Further, I don't manage Crying or Very sad

Post #1633972nd Jun 2007 6:49 pm
RichieP

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I reecently did some work on this, as I have a similar idea.

The cable you speak connects to two other connectors behind the air vents at the back of the console - i a standard rectangele the other a purple smb connectopr (aerial). What I haven't done as yet is take the fridge/cool box out as that would be the only way to get the two connectors out. Even if you jsut cut the cable I would suggest finding the two connectors behind the vents vefore cutting as you could damge the whole phone module by just cutting without disconnecting.

If this helps then please do post your pics as I may need to do this myself soon - Trying to get the phone cradle to work the way I want it at the moment, without much success
 Richard......

2006 HSE Lugano Teal - with screens a DVD....PS2.... Freeview, and MANTEC plate!
2007 XS Commercial Java Black - with leather, Aux Battery and MANTEC plate 

Post #1634363rd Jun 2007 12:06 am
captain_sugar

@ Mzaver:

Did you cut the cable without problems? All other phone funcions still working properly? Engine still running?

@ RichieP and all site members:
I haven't got a clue how to dismantle the back panel with the vents and removing the coolbox. Can anybody help? I am afraid of permanantly damaging things by just pulling....

Post #1634823rd Jun 2007 9:58 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The coolerbox is held in with 2 screws at the front, which are covered by other bits of plastic which you need to remove first.

First you need to remove the auto gear selector (not sure what you'd do if it's a manual) by pulling it firmly upwards - yes you need to pull hard but make sure you pull it evenly and don't twist it.
The upper centre console is held in by many clips and one screw. You need to remove the screw in front of the EPB switch. Also remove the rubber inserts from the front coin tray, and from the tray opposite the EPB (and make sure that there's no screw here too). You could also take out the cup holder inserts.
After this it's just a matter of pulling! The clips are quite strong. I think I started at the front, as once you get one or two out the others come easier. Don't move it too far without disconnecting the wires by the way.
You will then see the 2 screws holding in the cooler box. Remove them and then the only thing still holding in the cooler box is a clip which will release when pulled.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #1634843rd Jun 2007 10:26 am
captain_sugar

thanks a lot Bkehoe! Thumbs Up

Post #1634943rd Jun 2007 10:57 am
captain_sugar

The job is done.
No problem. Thanks to the nice manual of Bkehoe and the info of RichieP.

some pics:

the cables of the phone cradle:

the power supply cable of the cooling box:

Only one tricky thing: do not forget to reconnect the connectors of the terrain response system and the EPB before reinstalling the central tunnel cover, unless you think you won't need them anymore....

Thanks once more!

Post #1635263rd Jun 2007 1:59 pm
mzaver

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

captain_sugar - I've had no problems by just cutting the cable. I'll follow the pics on the post to go through the process of removing. Thanks.
 2007 LR3 HSE - Zermatt Silver Zermatt Silver
2007 LR3 HSE - Stornoway Gray (Mrs.) Bonatti Grey
*Luxury Package (Heated Wind Shield, Heated Seats, Heated Washer Fluid, Adaptive Front Lights and Center Console Cooler Box)* 

Post #1636534th Jun 2007 1:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >