Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Removing side steps - any parts required?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
Removing side steps - any parts required?

Yes, strange subject line I know!

So using the search etc I found a lot of threads on fitting side steps, and have read the online landrover instructions for fitting them (backwards) but it seems to me that at one stage you remove some trim to access the bolts where the steps bolt on - does this trim go back once brackets are in place?

Question is, if I am removing side steps (genuine LR jobs) do I need any plugs or trim afterwards to fill in any blanks? Land Rover instructions seem to indicate that there are some plugs underneath (step 1) that are discarded when the steps are fitted (some re-used in step 24?)? It looks like the trim removed in step 3 is refitted in step 21?

Apologise if this is a stupid question, we don't have the car yet and I did not start taking anything apart on the forecourt when examining to determine what was required!

Reason for not waiting to get the car before asking this question is that there is still some discussion going on with dealer and I am tempted to tell him to take steps off if they have value to him, however ideally we would get car with steps and decided ourselves if we want them off after a week or two.

Wife and I personally don't like the look, but I concede they may hold certain practical value!

Any pointers appreciated from anyone that has removed steps, or know the fitting/removal process.

Paul

Post #28950021st Apr 2008 3:38 pm
scoobystiv8

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I thik if they are the origional fit steps the plastic sill trim will have been cutout for the brackets. Possibly new sill trim.
Not 100% though
Thanks
 D3 V8 SE AUTO
MG ZS 180 Mk 2
Subaru Impreza STi
Morris Minor 1000 4 door saloon(soon to be the Joker) 

Post #28950821st Apr 2008 3:46 pm
sivsy

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I recently fitted a pair of orignal LR side steps and had to cut out 3 fairly large holes in the edging trim on either side to accomodate the brackets.

If you were to remove the steps and the brackets that they fix to, you will be left with these 3 obvious holes each side. The two 'long' pieces of trim would definately need replacing and I can't imagine they would be cheap. (Easy to fix on though !)

If you really didn't want the steps I would get the dealer to remove them. Supplying and Refitting new trim would then be his issue to sort out.
 D3 HSE Zermatt Silver (08MY)
Peugeot 5008 (60)
Vauxhall Zafira (57)
D3 HSE Zermatt Silver (08.5MY)
Nissan Pathfinder T-Spec (06)
Range Rover P38 

Post #28952021st Apr 2008 3:59 pm
SN

Correct - the brackets poke out through holes cut in the plastic trim - if you remove the side steps and the brackets for them you will be left with plastic sill trim with big holes in. If you really don't want them you should ask the dealer to remove them and put new plastic sill trim back on (the dealer may be clever and do a complete part swap with another vehicle)
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #28952221st Apr 2008 4:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys, sounds like work for dealer and not necessarily a benefit to them!

Thats a bummer that trim is modified, but that's what I wondered having read the misdirections.

We could always fit some side bars I suppose instead, or try to sell them to someone with no steps Wink

Dealer does not seem to be able to get what every other dealer offered for our trade in, so hoping they try calling somewhere everyone else obviously is before the end of the day. So close but no cigar as they say.

Think we will have to take car with steps and worry about that afterwards, don't mid doing the job myself, but need to check into it as not quite clear from directions if that panel (thats cut) is body coloured or just plain black... lets hope its finest plastic finish!

Post #28953421st Apr 2008 4:13 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic20614.html Whistle Whistle

He ( Uncle) has some trims wiv no holes Whistle

Post #28953621st Apr 2008 4:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

whatgoeshere wrote:
or try to sell them to someone with no steps Wink
You;d probably get a taker on here who'd swap their unadulterated sill covers too.

Oh and it its just grey plastic
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #28953721st Apr 2008 4:17 pm
Wex

I could check them into BarryG whose going to the Lakes and a few other places this weekend ...... Whistle

Post #28954021st Apr 2008 4:20 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

SN wrote:
whatgoeshere wrote:
or try to sell them to someone with no steps Wink
You;d probably get a taker on here who'd swap their unadulterated sill covers too

The thought had occurred Wink

The car is right colour/seats/spec etc, just not quite there on the deal... but steps not a deal breaker.

Post #28954821st Apr 2008 4:31 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Discowex wrote:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic20614.html Whistle Whistle

He ( Uncle) has some trims wiv no holes Whistle

Discowex - don't quite own the car yet, so it would be wrong in more than one way to sell them to you just yet but interest duly noted!

Watch this space, it all depends on what dealer says when he calls back... which is hopefully soon with end of the day approaching!

I think we would then want to give them a week or two to check we don't need them, but at the moment they have been branded "ugly" by SWMBO so its looks like if it all goes through their days may be numbered.

Post #28955321st Apr 2008 4:35 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Replacement sill covers are £55 each ..

whatgoeshere wrote:

We could always fit some side bars I suppose instead

You still have to cut out 3 holes for these ..although not as big and noticable as the side steps
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten 

Last edited by wiggs on 21st Apr 2008 4:43 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #28955421st Apr 2008 4:38 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just get the car and then take them of some one will bye them or you could get a pair off my Rock sliders as cheap as new plastic ones well nearly Whistle
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #28955521st Apr 2008 4:39 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

wiggs wrote:
Replacement sill covers are £55 each ..

whatgoeshere wrote:

We could always fit some side bars I suppose instead

You still have to cut out 3 holes for these ..although not as big and noticable as the side steps

In other words, the biggest holes are needed for the steps we have, so no matter what we need new trim!

£55 not so bad, sure could recover cost selling the steps, or swap as noted with sellers blank ones.

Dealer called back, nearly there, have to either loose a few hundred based on them not being able to get a trade in at good rate, or try to loose the car we want to trade in some other way.

Either way should strike a deal tomorrow, watch this space, Discowex have you on first refusal but realised your not exactly down the road, may need to send Dougal out in his milk float...

Post #28957921st Apr 2008 5:15 pm
Wex

Quote:
Discowex have you on first refusal but realised your not exactly down the road, may need to send Dougal out in his milk float...

Wouldn't let a silly thing like a few klms of water get in the way Wink Thumbs Up

Post #28958821st Apr 2008 5:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >