DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Removing LPG system from 4.4 V8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
HACKRCHILD

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Removing LPG system from 4.4 V8

Hi everyone,

I have been debating this for a little while but I think I’m going to remove the LPG system from my 4.4 V8. The previous owner had it installed and it’s done about 20k miles. They didn’t have a valve seat saver installed to I’ve not been using it unless I had one put in. An LPG fitter wants about £500 all in to install the kit, but with current LPG prices it hardly seems worth it. The majority around me are about £1.10-1.20 per litre and with the slightly worse MPG on LPG + cost of valve saver I don’t think I’d gain anything with petrol being about £1.38 near me. Unless I’m missing something here.

So I have a spare inlet manifold and will probably get an auto gas fitter to remove the system and install the new manifold. Or maybe just get him to remove the tank and I’ll remove the rest. Outside of wiring splices and and taps in the manifold etc, anything else I’ll need to sort to restore to normal? I understand these systems tune the car for LPG but I was unsure if this was done on the BRC ECU or if the landy ECU has been messed with. I also wonder if they’ll buy the old kit off me. Tank says 2017 so a fair amount of life in it and lpg injectors and filter fairly new

Any advice welcome.

Post #236267122nd Feb 2024 11:15 am
Lrstaylor

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

To be honest just leave it alone. You have no idea how the original installer fitted it. ie wiring loom cut into injector wires etc.

Iv got x2 lpg cars a ff m62 4.4 which runs on it like a dream and my sport supercharged 4.2 with flashlube fitted from install.
Lpg around here is about 89ppl upto 100ppl.

Iv not checked but I'm sure the 4.4 engine uses the same fuel pump and injection system as my 4.2 which means it has a fuel return back to the tank most lpg systems shut off the fuel pump when switching over to lpg. That can't be done on the 4.2 sc or I think the 4.4.

They should have fitted Flash lube to your jag engine to eliminate and or reduce the risk of vsr.

I don't use lpg on my sc very much the petrol station that sells it is miles away I only fill it up when I visit a mate who lives near it.

If you are worried about no spare wheel then remove the main lpg ecu fuse. Remove the tank and seal off the pipework.

Post #236270122nd Feb 2024 3:16 pm
HACKRCHILD

To be honest I’d quite like it removed for off-road clearance and the engine bay tidied up. That and I’d also like to mitigate leaks from the intake manifold as the years go by.

I have another to hand and I’m quite happy to sort the wiring out. I bought the car as something to work on anyway. Engine should be okay as it’s not had many miles without flashlube.

My main concern is if the cars ecu has been mapped for LPG. I think I’ll probably aim to have the tank removed by an auto gas approved tech and I’ll work my way around the rest.

Post #236270522nd Feb 2024 4:10 pm
Lrstaylor

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

If your very lucky the lpg loom is plug and play it just depends on the kit.
The cars ecu is not mapped for lpg it's the other way round the lpg ecu follows the cars mapping with a few tweaks so you should be good to go.

Post #236272722nd Feb 2024 7:52 pm
HACKRCHILD

It seems it’s a BRC system that’s fitted. Installation is pretty neat. Hopefully it’s plug and play.

Thanks for the advice I’ll post how I get on.

Post #236273622nd Feb 2024 9:51 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Valve seats in alloy heads are hardened steel inserts so you don't need a valve saver anyway.
Just keep driving..

Post #236274923rd Feb 2024 2:13 am
HACKRCHILD

That was the case with the rover V8 in the D2 and the BMW 4.4 v8 in the RR but I think you’ll find the AJ 4.4 has soft valves.

Post #236275723rd Feb 2024 9:43 am
Bungle

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

HACKRCHILD wrote:
It seems it’s a BRC system that’s fitted. Installation is pretty neat. Hopefully it’s plug and play.

Thanks for the advice I’ll post how I get on.

The BRC system (if it is the same as the one I have in my D3 V8 and it has been fitted properly) is plug and play, as others have said, all the LPG tuning/calibration is done on the LPG ECU. I think it also has separate injector simulators (to fool the normal ECU into thinking it is still firing the petrol injectors when it is running on LPG).

If yours uses the orange BRC gas injectors and you do decide to strip it out I'd love to grab some for parts.....

Round here the price of LPG isn't too bad, but the problem is finding it........

Post #236276823rd Feb 2024 2:04 pm
HACKRCHILD

I’ll take some pictures best I can later, if it’s the same you’re welcome to them. Hopefully for my sake it is 😆

Post #236277523rd Feb 2024 3:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >