25%  [7]
No
75%
 75%  [21]
Total Votes: 28

discocuzzy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Removing Bramble Rash...

Right guys, im sure there are a mixture of views on this one so i fully expect a varied response.

As most of you know the D3 is not the cheapest of motors to go ragging round country lanes and venturing off road..however it is an hugely vapable for doing so.

Having just ventured out on my first trip with some of the guys off the site last weekend, i gave it a good jet wash before venturing home to remove the vast majority of mud and sh Censored, rather than dumping in on the drive.

I decided to give it a full clean up and polish yesterday and to me horror i have noticed loads of feint scratches down the wings/doors.

Now whilst they are not deep and im sure they will polish out, is this a common issue with most of the site members whilst going on the forum organised trips?

So..to the point..if im going to attend these events in the future, and by the way i really had a great day out, is it standard practice to spend a day getting the vehicle back to mint condition, or do must of you not give a Censored as thats what you use the vehicle for?

Im in a bit of a quandry at the moment as i am in 2 minds wether to get the D3 totaly sorted for off road ventures on a regular basis, or buy an older disco/defender that i dont have to worry about too much.

If most of the events are green laning/ touring off road i can live with it...im just worried about those scratches!

Post #26220921st Feb 2008 11:16 am
Very Annoyed

England 

Some people clad their cars in clingfilm.
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #26221121st Feb 2008 11:21 am
D'arkuk

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

In a twisted way I quite like them, every time I go to open the door I see them and remember how I got them, it brings a smile to my face. I’ll give it another two years or so and then get the whole lot sorted in one go, and then start a new collection; although by then it might be SWMBO’s collection. Thumbs Up
 Brute force and ignorance, the D3 does the rest.  
Post #26221221st Feb 2008 11:32 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

If you want to do laning on a regular basis then don't become paranoid about scratches .....it will drive you mad. I've had scratches on mine for ages and will attend to them professionally just prior to changing the vehicle this year ...won't I Ken Whistle Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #26221821st Feb 2008 11:45 am
Ken

Thumbs Up Whistle

Post #26223121st Feb 2008 12:16 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Sounds like a Group Buy!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #26223321st Feb 2008 12:17 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
Re: Removing Bramble Rash...

discocuzzy wrote:
Im in a bit of a quandry at the moment as i am in 2 minds wether to get the D3 totaly sorted for off road ventures on a regular basis, or buy an older disco/defender that i dont have to worry about too much.

Went for the former after pranged my V8 D1 as lot cheaper than running a 90 to play in. Mind you have seen a very nice Java XS TD5 90 in my local stealer that is looking for a new home. Unfortunately Mrs DSL says NO! Big Cry Big Cry

Post #26223421st Feb 2008 12:20 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Don't know if this really works but I was once told when I first started offroading in our first Disco 1, "the better the finish on the car the less likely it is to get scratched by brambles as the thorns are less likely to find purchase and cause scratches i.e. take a well polished car off road rather than a dirty one"

So the way I see this, after the first mud bath what do you do? Surely not jump out and clean the car before going on Rolling with laughter

I just make sure the car has a good Lifeshine coating which I update every few months courtesy of a mate of mine who gets the stuff trade as he has valet business. That does seem to keep the bramblerash down, but I still managed to get a few, deeper, scratches but that's another story Whistle
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #26225621st Feb 2008 1:20 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Mine's Java Black, so if Scratches will show, then it will DEFINATELY show on that.

I tend to give a couple of coats of JetSeal109 to seal the car & helps it keep the crap off. Then I just live with the ones that I can notice & when I come to sell or I want to spruce it up, I'll get it properly done for a couple of hundred pounds. I spent £40k on my motor & it's got less scratches than my £25k merc I had before!

Be careful of big trees, but don't worry too much as most of the greenlanes we do will be scratch friendly. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #26226521st Feb 2008 2:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed

England 

Bodsy wrote:
but don't worry too much as most of the greenlanes we do will be scratch friendly. Thumbs Up

apart from those that aren't!
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #26227221st Feb 2008 2:14 pm
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

As has been said, you're bound to get some 'rash' and ultimately it's best left to the end of the D3s life with you before getting them all sorted and wiped clean (which can be done).

Until then though you can keep on top of it with wax/polish products which fill in light scratches or at least make them much less visible. Do this after a session off road; clean the car then apply a layer of polish followed by a few coats of some sealant/wax (I use Autoglym EGP) and it tidies up most of the scratches Thumbs Up
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #26227421st Feb 2008 2:25 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Although I do protect the finish as much as can be I don't worry about scratches. It's like people that cover their furniture with plastic in order to preserve the fabric. It stays nice and all but nobody ever gets to enjoy it Rolling Eyes

If you're paying your hard earned cash for something, get your money's worth and have fun...life's too short. More fullfilling to make memories than just having a bunch of 'nice things' That is what a Land Rover is about afterall Thumbs Up
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Last edited by sideview on 21st Feb 2008 2:45 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #26228021st Feb 2008 2:42 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Not worrying till i get rid, in just over two years time, for another D3 Very Happy

Wash it once a quarter and give it a Rolling Eyes when i notice the latest "additions".....

Will speak to Ken nicely in 28 months time, providing he's still such a nice fella Wink Whistle

Post #26228221st Feb 2008 2:44 pm
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

discocuzzy,

Here are a couple of 50:50s to show you how some machine polishing and waxing will remove the worst of the scratching... Thumbs Up

2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #26228821st Feb 2008 3:02 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I use the Autoglym EPG too,

But i polish it by hand,

has anybody else used an electric polisher, the type thats about 10" wide not the ones that look like an angle grinder Question

if so are they any good, or do they leave swirl marks Question

Cheers
Nick

Post #26229721st Feb 2008 3:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >