DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Remote Key Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JKD

Isle Of Man 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Remote Key Failure

Hi,
Anybody had a faulty key and Land Rover quibble about replacing it under the extended warrantee on the grounds that it excludes batteries? It will lock the car after driving but won't unlock it and sometimes won't even do that.
I queried their decision on the grounds that it is a sealed non servicable unit so how do they know it's the "battery" that is faulty. From postings on other threads it seems the unit is charged by inductive coupling like electric toothbrushes so presumeably there are alot of other electronics to go faulty and no way to tell. I certainly never had the low battery warning on the display when I first insert the key.
Does the unit even have a battery in it? I seem to remember the original "design /concept" brochure for the Disco3 made a lot of the "rechargable"key saying it had a service life of 10yrs ( not 3+1/2 like mine!). I don't know of any rechargable batteries eg NiMH or Li polymer that would last 10 years from personal experience in cellphones/ camcorders and the like. One of the staff at the dealership even wondered whether it might be a capacitor holding the charge rather than a battery. Has anyone ever autopsied a dead remote fob to find out?
I am now awaiting a LR appointed claims assessor to contact me and provide a report to Land Rover so perhaps it's not a common problem.

Post #3301577th Aug 2008 8:43 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

my Fl2 key just stopped working, it is the key i used every day, and the key in the bedside draw worked after months of just sitting there.

My dealers have reorder my key no problems, albeit the 6 weeks wait for it to be sorted Evil or Very Mad

Post #3301717th Aug 2008 9:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >