DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Remote GSM Fuel Shutoff Valve
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
anthony604266

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Remote GSM Fuel Shutoff Valve

Hi,

I am fitting a dual channel GSM remote relay one channel for my Fuel Heater and the other I want to use as a security messure to shutoff the fuel supply to the engine can anyone give me a clue where to get a valve and the best place to fit it?
 You can never have too many toys...  
Post #3967395th Jan 2009 10:38 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

That was my thought..... or to apply the EPB.

there were a few concerns however that shutting off the fuel may cause engine damage if the fuel was shut off whilst the engine was running. I really dont know but hopefully a wise one will come along soon.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #3967455th Jan 2009 10:48 am
al cope

England 

rather than use a valve, why dont you put a switch (relay) in the supply feed (guessing its 12v) to the ful pump, this switch being controlled by the gsm signal. Surely by switching the pump off, it would be just like running out of fuel.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #3967855th Jan 2009 12:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I am not an expert, but I would not want to be messing around with the high pressure fuel system. If the lift pump was switched off, it could possibly starve the high pressure fuel pump which is belt driven by the engine, of diesel, and lubrication.

However, I suppose the shutoff not going to be used everyday, and it may be a small price to pay to save the car.

Post #3967875th Jan 2009 12:37 pm
al cope

England 

I wasnt thinking about the high pressure side, more the low pressure side (from the tank). Isnt it the case that in a smash, the fuel pump is switched off. I was just thinking of something similar.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #3967965th Jan 2009 1:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simonsi

New Zealand 

Perhaps put a relay in the line to one of the wheel speed sensors that opens on command, once the thief is greeted by the resulting warning lights, bongs and messages about this, that and the other system going offline he'll probably abandon it anyway Very Happy

Agree that stopping the tank pump shouldn't be any issue, the engine and hence high pressure pump won't continue to run for long enough for (lack of) lubrication to be an issue as with no low fuel pressure there won't be any high fuel pressure and hence the engine will stop pretty smartish.
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #3968215th Jan 2009 2:14 pm
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Stop the tank pump, turn on the hazards and pulse the horn. All quite easy with a 3 pole relay. You could lock the scroats in as well but they would only do damage trying to get out.

If you have got GPS / GSM tracking you can then call the Police and tell them its the D3 at 'X' location, at a set of lights with the horn and hazards going! They should manage to find it then. Very Happy
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #3968315th Jan 2009 2:23 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

You can't do that, you are potentially embarrasing the thief by setting off the hazards and horn, they'll do you for it, its bound to be against the Human Rights and no Responsibilities Act... Rolling Eyes
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #3968345th Jan 2009 2:27 pm
anthony604266

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

As i have a Coastguard Siren and Blue Flashers I was going to switch all this on as well hey why not if i had my way it would stop the car via fuel and then shoot the :censored:ers
 You can never have too many toys...  
Post #3968355th Jan 2009 2:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >