Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Reduced Performance when towing caravan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
UffBrock

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

At the moment I'm hoping it's fixed. I'm towing home tomorrow so that should provide another test. I'll let you know.

Post #19905089th Oct 2018 9:26 pm
Desb

United Kingdom 2016 LR4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackLR4

Thumbs Up

Post #19905109th Oct 2018 9:34 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

If it is over pressure it can't be coming from the atmosphere side, so there may be small amounts of residue from the engine derived gas flow on the seperated surfaces, or on the exit side of the air filter. These might contain unburnt fuel, or exhaust components. Smell could be a quick identifier.

"Outside the box", it could be excessive engine movement pulling the components apart. What state are the engine mounts? They don't generate codes.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #199055510th Oct 2018 7:54 am
Desb

Yes, I could consider engine mounting if the car had high mileage but at 18000 miles I would expect this to be a problem.

Post #199058110th Oct 2018 9:32 am
UffBrock

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

No repeat of restricted performance today (approx. 100 miles towing on a mixture of motorway and ‘other’) though I did wonder on a few occasions whether I detected a repeat of my ‘gearbox issue’ (this has always preceded a restricted performance message).

I did check the current position of what you’ve described as the elbow and it is currently about midway between the two positions shown in your photographs (definitely offset from the shoulder on the throttle body but not by as much as in your second pic). Unfortunately, my own ‘before’ picture was taken following the second ‘fix’ – I didn’t take another after the third one so I can’t say with certainty whether it has moved this time or not.

I’ll send you a pm.

Post #199084310th Oct 2018 9:20 pm
UffBrock

By way of follow up . . .

Firstly, I was told that the third fix involved replacing the throttle body and the upper hose - I'm pretty satisfied, having had a detailed look, that the top hose is original and that it was the throttle body and the elbow that were replaced.

Secondly, I rechecked the current position of the elbow/throttle body (see attached). As can be seen, the two faces are not parallel. Also obvious is the damage to the fan blade caused when the original elbow moved forward and impacted the blade (this would explain why one of my original error codes related to the viscous fan). I can't see any corresponding damage to the elbow - yet more confirmation that the elbow was replaced last time round.

I will continue to monitor as I'm now not sure that I'm out of the woods with this.

Post #199146513th Oct 2018 2:24 pm
Desb

Looks like the joint is on the point of leaking. It may run ok solo but with the caravan in tow is the real test. Had a reply from the technician dealing with my vehicle which is just to say he has passed all info to LR and is waiting a reply. I took the liberty of forwarding your photo to him indicating its not a unique issue.

Post #199149713th Oct 2018 4:59 pm
UffBrock

Thumbs Up

Post #199154213th Oct 2018 7:25 pm
Desb

Trying to understand the flow through the air intake and found this.....

It all happens at 1min 9 sec

Post #199154413th Oct 2018 7:31 pm
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The plastic elbow that attaches to the throttle body is held in place with a long thin bolt. When this bolt is not replaced it allows the boost pressure to push the elbow off like in your picture. The throttle body is held in place in a similar fashion with two long bolt that keep it in place. Where the throttle breaks is the plastic weld joint where the throttle separates between the left bank and the right (the Y junction). I’ve replaced mine for this fault.

Post #199158413th Oct 2018 10:16 pm
Desb

Bolt is not missing, by replace do you mean refit or change for a new one?

Post #199160014th Oct 2018 4:53 am
romadog2004

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Our D4 66 Landmark is booked in to Guy Salmon in Stratford-upon-Avon to get this restricted performance issue sorted again, for good this time.
Came on at weekend pulling away from a roundabout within spitting distance of the dealer but typically well after they’d closed 🙄🙁. Switch on and off and all ok.
Go and tow horse trailer today and it comes on again.
Checked under bonnet and took a pic.

With this pic and link to this thread given to the dealer hopefully they can get this sorted quickly. Tends to ruin the enjoyment of using the vehicle and with a trip planned to south of France soon it doesn’t do well for one’s confidence.
Will update ....

Post #20668828th Jul 2019 1:53 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Could be a multitude of potential faults - smoke test showed mine as an ill fitting o ring that cost about £2 - so good luck
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #20668858th Jul 2019 2:00 pm
romadog2004

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Said I would update....
Well on way to catch the Eurotunnel and RP comes on.
Temp fix with a zip tie ......17 miles later and it comes on again.
There’s time sat around to include and we are waiting in another services for LRA.
Good job we left in daylight Whistle
Will update......

Post #20747439th Aug 2019 6:08 pm
romadog2004

Update 2

Temp repair with lots more zip ties last down to Eurotunnel into France and down to Tours.
Into RP agin, ties still intact, but pipe dislodged again.

Limped to back roads as traffic ahead not good, quick on and off and it cruise the twisty back roads to our destination.
Pottered around locality till we called LRA again. They responded quickly arriving later that day day and did another temporary repair , but with a large jubilee clip in hope it has more strength and durability. However a couple of zip ties were also addded for good measure Thumbs Up

Seems pipe fouls coolant pipe which puts pressure on the joint and also found that the clip had losses its tension which was fixed with pliers temporarily.
So hopefully this gets us home on Saturday......

Post #207619715th Aug 2019 8:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >