Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Recommended UK firm to rebuild a D3 turbo?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mek

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Recommended UK firm to rebuild a D3 turbo?

Hi,

I'm preparing for a body-off exercise to replace crossover pipe. Given the effort to do this I am planning to replace the current turbo for a reconditioned unit I will buy in advance. Would it be possible to get a recommendation for a firm to do the rebuild, assuming an old turbo is sent to them ? (Particularly if you have a lot of experience with this part of Disco 3s!)

I can see what looks like oil on the underside my car's turbo and I have seen puffs of smoke come out of the back in winter. Hoses are silicone so the turbo had it's innings. Given the scope creep on a body off I'm determined to keep a lid on cost so I won't be buying a new unit. However I would like to be confident that any reconditioned unit I fit has been properly prepared, and will last for years to come. I'd prefer this to buying a recon unit at random off ebay.

Thanks

Andy

Post #21650681st Aug 2020 7:16 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Turbo Technics.

https://www.turbotechnics.com/
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #21650741st Aug 2020 7:46 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

What is the price difference between new and recon?

Post #21650771st Aug 2020 7:57 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Www.Bestpriceturbos.co.uk

Oil on a turbo does not
Mean it’s broke.

If it’s had regular oil changes it may last.

Post #21650781st Aug 2020 8:06 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Or do it yourself...

As i did... i did explain this in a topic of mine, regarding an engine replacement..

I wrote this:

Motolab wrote:
Turbo refurbishment:

since the turbo on my D3 has 158900 km (approx 98800 mls) "on it's clock) i think it is a good moment to refurbish it... easy acces now and a very easy job...

i did it before on our SAAB Aero turbo (300 HP 400Nm) with a balanced set from APS Turbo a dutch company(i have no connection with them) that turbo is still going strong... so

i did buy this cassette for the D3 https://turboonderdelen.nl/KKK_BV39_5439-970-0112
for just € 212 (180 GBP) + VAT

and it showed up like this

this is a very simple job to do yourself... few bolts each side to undo, cleaning the housing etc. plug & play
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21651071st Aug 2020 10:03 pm
mek

Hi Harold,

This is interesting. I have a few questions for you...

I've never had a turbo reconditioned professionally before, or serviced one myself. While I'm sure I can swap the cartridge out, would that be "everything"? What would a turbo shop do differently? Would they always be changing this cartridge or strip the old one and rebuild? Would they take other steps to refresh the actuator? Once the old cartridge is taken out does it leave just the casting of the housing and the actuator? Are there other seals to be changed?

Thanks,

Andy

Post #21651121st Aug 2020 11:29 pm
mek

Just reading that the last stage of turbo "re-manufacture" when using a new CHRA is "turbo actuator re-calibration". Is this a shortfall in the DIY CHRA replacement method? Could it even be an IID function?

Post #21651131st Aug 2020 11:39 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have rebuilt a few turbos before using the cartridges with no issues at all but i would also strip out the actuator and clean it up. I have not rebuilt a Discovery turbo but have rebuilt many VW ones with simular actuators and the housings rust. They then expand and put pressure on the actuator ring causing it to stick, a little cleaning with a Die grinder or a Dremmel works wonders.

Post #21651312nd Aug 2020 8:09 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Yeah that’se vvt vanes give more trouble on these rather than cartridge

Post #21651322nd Aug 2020 8:13 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

mek wrote:
While I'm sure I can swap the cartridge out, would that be "everything"?
What would a turbo shop do differently?

Well yes It is in fact as simple as it sounds.. working neatly is ofcourse important.

mek wrote:
Would they always be changing this cartridge or strip the old one and rebuild? Would they take other steps to refresh the actuator?

TBH , can not say.... what they do... because i do not know most of them myself... i think, times are changed since the earlyer days, and i presume that a lot of them do it this way now, since these cartridges are around now for almost every turbo model, and it saves (Them) a lot of time and money regarding balancing equipment....

Cleaning everything appropriately , “The shop” will blast the housing also, so it will look newish, if you want you can do that “yourself” also..... (but the cast iron part will rust again within a week either way)

mek wrote:

Once the old cartridge is taken out does it leave just the casting of the housing and the actuator? Are there other seals to be changed?

Yes... the cartridge is the heart, were the other pieces are bolted or otherwise attached (seeger ring) to..

No other seals.... otherwise as aja4x4 said, if you do it once, you will be amazed how simple the job is...afterwards.. the most difficult thing can be, if fitted on a certain Turbo model, getting the big seeger ring loose Or the bolts if it /they are rusted or otherwise stuck..

Regarding vanes... i did not change mine, just cleaned everything... but the shop where i bought the cartridge also sells new vanes..

Some shops (And maybe others) will tell you it is like rocket sience..(at a cost).. well not the turbo’s i did, including the D3 one... IMHO

Saves a “few” quid this way Wink
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21651352nd Aug 2020 8:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >