Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Rear Side Airbags
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
oliver77

Wales 
Rear Side Airbags

I was in the dealer today signing the order etc and there was a customer there giving the saleman some stick. He was comparing D3 to Audi Q7 and one of his gripes was that the D3 isn't available with Rear Side Airbags but the Q7 is and he wanted to protect his children etc etc.
The salesman was a bid lost and the guy turned to me and asked what I thought.
I was then able to put my anorak on and explain that vehicle/road safety is my industry so I explained the following and thought it might be of interest to others:-

Volvo carried out extensive research into rear side airbags in the late 90's and found that in most cases they would do more harm than good. For adults in the rear, their most important part - the head is protected by the side airbag and their ribs would be protected by the fact that they have room for lateral movement unlike the front seats. For a child they would most likely bear the brunt of the airbag deployment to their head whether awake or sleeping with their head resting against the door. The skull of a child is not fully developed (tough) until they reach 7 years of age and an airbag deploying at 200mph would cause more injury than the impact itself.

Volvo's learning and understanding of these areas has undoubtedly been shared with Land Rover. This coupled with the height of D3 and it's sheer toughness would put the D3 above the Q7 in all areas of safety.

1 1/2 hours later a call from the dealership to say they owe me a pint, customer ordered a TDV6 SE they had in stock for Sept 1st Delivery!

Anorak off now!

Post #7917917th Aug 2006 5:38 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Thumbs Up Worth a bit more than a pint though!
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #7918117th Aug 2006 6:08 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

But the D3 does have side rear airbags....well airbags that protect the occupants head from the windows. A seven seater has side airbags for all three rows.
 Matt  
Post #7918217th Aug 2006 6:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
oliver77

Wales 

Yes, those are curtain airbags. Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Lexus offer a further airbag mounted either in the door panel or the rear seat cushion. These are much lower than the curtain and therefore deploy at infant head height.

Post #7918417th Aug 2006 6:14 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

OK. Stand corrected.

On a related subject.......you may know the answer to this......
What age child can sit on the front passenger seat with the airbag turned on?
My daughter is nearly 8 and I'm not sure if I can leave the airbag activated or should switch it off. This is more applicable to my wife's Mini Convertible as she sits in the front all the time, as the rear seats are too small.
She's on a booster seat of course.

I would of thought that at this age/size, an airbag would do more good than harm.
 Matt  
Post #7918617th Aug 2006 6:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
oliver77

Wales 

d3matt wrote:
OK. Stand corrected.

On a related subject.......you may know the answer to this......
What age child can sit on the front passenger seat with the airbag turned on?
My daughter is nearly 8 and I'm not sure if I can leave the airbag activated or should switch it off. This is more applicable to my wife's Mini Convertible as she sits in the front all the time, as the rear seats are too small.
She's on a booster seat of course.

I would of thought that at this age/size, an airbag would do more good than harm.

The only guidance given officially is that you must never use a rear facing child seat on a front seat where there is a front passenger airbag fitted and active. As a general rule keep them in the back as long as you can as this is the safest place. Normally after they're 11 or over 1.5m tall they are fine in the front but they wont be as safe as they are in the rear. As well as a booster, try to get one which locates the lap section of the belt. Far too many children sit with the lap belt higher than it should be which can cause spinal injury. Lap belts should be accross the pelvis of all occupants.

Hope this helps

Post #7918817th Aug 2006 6:26 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Rear Side Airbags

oliver77 wrote:
...1 1/2 hours later a call from the dealership to say they owe me a pint, customer ordered a TDV6 SE they had in stock for Sept 1st Delivery!...

Agree with DiscoStu, be cheeky and ask for some accessories. Wink The dealer will use your information again.... and again.... and again....
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #7920417th Aug 2006 9:07 pm
croyde

Hunters of Guildford, who I have to say I have had not much joy with in other matters, offer £250 if you get someone to buy a Land Rover off them.

Post #7930918th Aug 2006 7:47 am
oliver77

Wales 

Well as long as they get my new car to me on time I'll be happy!

Post #7932218th Aug 2006 9:00 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >